Discuss: Toyota is the best manufacturer of cars on the planet

joebiz

Im starting to notice a lot more press on the honda recall now for the airbags. 1 million cars reported defective, one death linked......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a typical day 100 people are killed on our roads in traffic accidents. More than 419,000 have died in traffic crashes over the past decade.

Over the same decade 21,110 people have been killed in Toyota vehicles. 1998-2008 NHTSA data has confirmed that these deaths had NOTHING to do with technology, faulty vehicles, or otherwise.

According to various reports 19 deaths have been associated with Toyota's gas pedal problem. Even though the claim states that the 19 deaths were linked to the defect, it in no way implies that it was the main factor.

At the end of the day, safety is about good driving habits. The next time you worry about a recall, just look at that 16 year old next to you texting on thier cell phone while on the freeway.

I'm not trying to discount any death or tragedy. I just want to express that the odds of dying in or from a "runaway" Toyota are not much different than being struck by lightning.

It's not just the 16 year olds. I'm in a high school's school zone at least twice a day during start and end of school and I almost never see a kid texting/talking on the phone. The parents though, Jesus Christ............................ :eusa_wall:

As far as Toyotas go, I've got a 99 Solara that has been passed around the family and has 192K on it. Last week replaced the original battery that came with the car. The mechanics were stunned. It also has been running on 100K spark plugs that I just replaced and the belts and water pump went 2X the recommended life and could have gone longer. It has the shitty maintenance record because my parents didn't really take care of it. I've been toying with the question of selling it and picking up a Subaru WRX, but honestly I can't bring myself to do it yet. The car still runs great, cruises at 90mph just fine every day, is cheap as hell on gas/maintenance/insurance, and has sentimental value because my grandfather who flew B-58s owned it first. Even at 12 years old it can still maintain semi-regular hand break pulls without breaking things.

As many times as I've thought about it and run through the options I still can't find myself to sell it and get a WRX because when it comes down to it I'm in college still and I'd like to do more with college than my automobile while I'm in my early 20s. If I had a WRX I would not be able to afford traveling abroad or some of the other neat opportunities that come with college. So, she will likely stay will for a couple of years. Hell, when I'm in my 30s I will probably still have that car, except it will be parked in the garage next to something that is mildly insane and I will be so glad that I stuck it out with the 12 year old Toyota that has been through hell.

• 3 years later...

Toyota Wins Key Unintended Acceleration Trial

Toyota today won an unintended acceleration case in Superior Court in Los Angeles, as a jury in the Judicial Council Coordinated Proceeding (JCCP) rejected claims that a 2006 Camry involved in a fatal accident in 2009 was defective because it lacked a brake override system.

After deliberating for approximately four and a half days, a jury reached a defense verdict in favor of Toyota in a case brought by the family of Noriko Uno, who claimed that her accident would have been averted if her vehicle had been outfitted with brake override.

During the course of the trial, Toyota’s experts demonstrated that brake override technology would not have made a difference in preventing this crash. They also dismantled the theory put forth by plaintiffs’ counsel that Mrs. Uno’s foot became “stuck” between the brake and accelerator pedals after her vehicle was struck by the co-defendant in the case, Olga Bello, allegedly causing the acceleration.

As a “bellwether” case in the consolidated state cases alleging unintended acceleration, this verdict sets a significant benchmark by helping further confirm that Toyota vehicles are safe with or without brake override. The result is particularly important given that the case was selected as a bellwether by the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the JCCP, as they believed it was among their strongest cases to bring to trial.

Toyota released the following statement:

“We sympathize with anyone in an accident involving one of our vehicles as well as the family and friends of Noriko Uno.

“Regarding the verdict, we are gratified that the jury concluded the design of the 2006 Camry did not contribute to this unfortunate accident, affirming the same conclusion we reached after more than three years of careful investigation – that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle at issue in this case. As an important bellwether in these consolidated state proceedings, we believe this verdict sets a significant benchmark by helping further confirm that Toyota vehicles are safe with or without brake override.”