Things that I have learned about the earlier year Gallardos

m32

As a follow up to this thread here, I am glad to say that I have finally sold both my cars and am really on the hunt for my next car. Currently it's between the vantage, 997tt and the Gallardo. I would like to keep it around $100k so I think I'm stuck looking for an 04-05 G.

With that said, I've been trying to read up on this forum, 6speed and also asking a few shops around town on their thoughts on the earlier year Gallardos (2004- 05).

Here's what I came up with so far and please feel free to chime in and correct/add:

* - Problematic Egear system. Manual is a little better but clutch life is pretty bad on both systems.

* - Lots of electrical gremlins

* - Does not have the front lift system

Are these "issues" that I have read about true? If so, do they get fixed/improved upon in 06+?

Thanks in advance

Edwin

You can probably get an 06 G for around 100K. I would opt for that, they are much improved over the 04-05 Gs.

I was in your position last year. Between a 997TT and a G. Though the 997TT would be cheaper to make fast, it doesn't compare to the G in terms of road presence and noise.

"* - Problematic Egear system. Manual is a little better but clutch life is pretty bad on both systems.

Never had any problems with my E gear, it does have the updated clutch and software, and I think most do.

No electrical problems, the early production ones did have a few, pick up a later production number

less weight and something else to break.....skid plates work good for me....

I don't know what 'electrical gremilns' you are talking about...Never really heard of any.

04-05's are solid cars, even more so if you get a 6 sp manual.

At 100k you are close to an 06. I would suggest trying to go that route...More HP, better gearing, better clutch (although by now most 04/05's would have been updated), and lift system.

The 2005 models and up have the front lift system.

Where in the world are people finding 2006 models for $100K??...unless you personally know someone who is unloading their G and you are their buddy buying it from them? Sure, there are probably some rare finds in that range, but I don't think that is by any means the common 'market value' price for a 2006.

If anything, prices actually seem to be going up a bit lately.

Where in the world are people finding 2006 models for $100K??...unless you personally know someone who is unloading their G and you are their buddy buying it from them? Sure, there are probably some rare finds in that range, but I don't think that is by any means the common 'market value' price for a 2006.

I got mine last September @ 102K. It wasn't a highly optioned car and the color wasn't desirable. But I'm sure if you bug a dealer that has a car sitting around for long enough, he will cave in at $100-$105.

I got mine last September @ 102K. It wasn't a highly optioned car and the color wasn't desirable. But I'm sure if you bug a dealer that has a car sitting around for long enough, he will cave in at $100-$105.

Man, you got a great deal.

I guess if you are open to any color/options, deals can be had. If you have specific requirements on colors/options/must haves, it makes it trickier.

You can probably get an 06 G for around 100K. I would opt for that, they are much improved over the 04-05 Gs.

I was in your position last year. Between a 997TT and a G. Though the 997TT would be cheaper to make fast, it doesn't compare to the G in terms of road presence and noise.

Any regrets on going with the G vs. the 997TT? My 996tt ran flawlessly over the last 1.5 years and I'm sure the 997tt is the same. But you're right, the G is in a different class.

"* - Problematic Egear system. Manual is a little better but clutch life is pretty bad on both systems.

Never had any problems with my E gear, it does have the updated clutch and software, and I think most do.

No electrical problems, the early production ones did have a few, pick up a later production number

less weight and something else to break.....skid plates work good for me....

Thanks for your input. This is what I was hoping for...real owner experience. So the updated clutch/software will correct the E-gear issues in the earlier models? When you say to pick up a later production number, do you mean later in 04 or later as in 05-06?

I don't know what 'electrical gremilns' you are talking about...Never really heard of any.

04-05's are solid cars, even more so if you get a 6 sp manual.

At 100k you are close to an 06. I would suggest trying to go that route...More HP, better gearing, better clutch (although by now most 04/05's would have been updated), and lift system.

Turbo Mike, were you the one with the black turbo on HRE 547s with the MISHA TA front on 6speed? If so, we've chatted before :)

I just did a search on autotrader with the parameter of max price of $110k and only one 2006 popped up with 24k miles. I'm really having a hard time finding an 2006 even near $115k. I would agree with lambogator, prices def have gone up since the end of last year.

My ideal G would be 06 white, 6speed with the front lift. If anyone knows of one out there, please let me know :)

Please keep the comments coming.

Edwin

"When you say to pick up a later production number, do you mean later in 04 or later as in 05-06?"

Later 04 production numbers, i think production stopped on the 04's in June, if Im wrong someone correct me..

Turbo Mike, were you the one with the black turbo on HRE 547s with the MISHA TA front on 6speed? If so, we've chatted before :)

No...There is an imposter Turbo Mike living down South somewhere...Luckily he doesn't post much, or it could be mass chaos.

Also keep in mind that when looking at a car, there is a difference between 'asking' or 'listed' price, and the actual 'buy' price. There are deals out there...I think most 06 coupes should be in the 105-110k range to 'buy'.

"When you say to pick up a later production number, do you mean later in 04 or later as in 05-06?"

Later 04 production numbers, i think production stopped on the 04's in June, if Im wrong someone correct me..

Just say away from 04's with vins ending in ~0350 or less, as those were typically 'launch' cars, and most were built in Hungary (or something) while the line in Italy was finished.

Edwin, like these guys have stated, wait a bit more and do some more HW...$100K about what an 06 will go for.

When I was looking, I had passed up a clean 04 6s manual G with 15k miles for $80K flat. Wrong color at the time, although I would have gotten it in hindsight.

A member just picked up a mint white 08 Spyder for $105K recently (rare great deal obv but you get the idea)

Also, the 04/05s seem very reliable. 06+ is better of course but that comes with the cost as well.

Edwin, like these guys have stated, wait a bit more and do some more HW...$100K about what an 06 will go for.

When I was looking, I had passed up a clean 04 6s manual G with 15k miles for $80K flat. Wrong color at the time, although I would have gotten it in hindsight.

A member just picked up a mint white 08 Spyder for $105K recently (rare great deal obv but you get the idea)

Also, the 04/05s seem very reliable. 06+ is better of course but that comes with the cost as well.

I believe that was an 06 Spyder, but a good deal nonetheless.

No...There is an imposter Turbo Mike living down South somewhere...Luckily he doesn't post much, or it could be mass chaos.

Also keep in mind that when looking at a car, there is a difference between 'asking' or 'listed' price, and the actual 'buy' price. There are deals out there...I think most 06 coupes should be in the 105-110k range to 'buy'.

Just say away from 04's with vins ending in ~0350 or less, as those were typically 'launch' cars, and most were built in Hungary (or something) while the line in Italy was finished.

Haha... good points mike. I think ideally, I'd like to find an later model 04 for around $80k (not sure if possible) and drop it off at Heffner for the 650hp treatment.

Edwin

I moved from a Vantage to a Gallardo.... I would say go for the G.... While the Vantage is a lovely looker and has an excellet interior, it is a tourer not a super car.... The G is insanely better for driving experience.

• 7 months later...

I may be wrong but 04-06 don't Rev-Match on downshifts as loud as 07-08.....or can that be cured with an update??

Ive had both an 04 and an 06 SE, and truthfully I havent noticed much if any difference in build quality between the two.. Ive never heard of any electrical gremlins, and im pretty sure all the early cars that needed the clutch updates have been done.. The new clutch is bullit proof, handles 1000ho TT Gallardos.

I also have a 997TT mildly modded, love that too. If you wana fly under the radar and get amazing performance for very little out of pocket thats the ticket. If you wanna be a rockstar, Gallardo anyday.

Ive had both an 04 and an 06 SE, and truthfully I havent noticed much if any difference in build quality between the two.. Ive never heard of any electrical gremlins, and im pretty sure all the early cars that needed the clutch updates have been done.. The new clutch is bullit proof, handles 1000ho TT Gallardos.

I also have a 997TT mildly modded, love that too. If you wana fly under the radar and get amazing performance for very little out of pocket thats the ticket. If you wanna be a rockstar, Gallardo anyday.

So people are running the stock sintered (F revision?) clutch on TT-G's? Impressive. I don't own a G, but one thing I've heard is that even older cars with the latest clutches will wear them out faster due to the differences in gearing. Not sure how true that is. I've also heard that the 08 cars use a different throttle body (bosch?) than predecessors, however, I don't exactly know the implications of such a change with regards to ownership experience. Good luck with your hunt, I suspect you'll be happy no matter what you choose.