Replacement Tire question

nycgallardo1

Time to replace the tires on my 2005 G. I've read the various posts here about tire options, but most talk about getting the most performance, no matter the $$ or low wear rating.

While I definitely respect the enthusiast's desire for ultimate performance, I don't drive the hell out of my G. Just a nice ride for me (with occasional bursts!). Plus, I'm in S Florida, where it now rains just about every day, so I'd rather have a nice "all weather" tire than a high performance "Summer" tire.

Anybody have any experience with the Hankooks? Any other low cost/high wear tire to recommend. I have a concern with the circumference, as I've read here that a slight difference from OEM could cause issues with the diff?

Appreciate any input

Pirelli PZero Rosso (Max Performance Summer). Affordable, durable but it doesn't grip like Pirelli PZero Corsa System (Track & Competition DOT) so be aware if you track your car.

I have the Hankooks. They are great tires for the price (~$700/set from TireRack). I can't comment on comfort when comparing with PZero's but they are far more comfortable than the Continentals that are available for our cars. They are rated for summer performance, but they are pretty decent all around tires for the street. Should have no problems with traction given that you leave the ESP on.

Circumference should be the same as stock sizes, so shouldn't be an issue.

Side note: I did a track day with these tires (65 laps on a 1.5 mile course) and they last quite a while, but they are definitely a long ways to go from being sticky. But for your normal street driving/racing. They are a good and cheap alternative.

Pirelli PZero Rosso (Max Performance Summer). Affordable, durable but it doesn't grip like Pirelli PZero Corsa System (Track & Competition DOT) so be aware if you track your car.

I agree with these comments, this is the same that I would do.

Anybody know the circumference of the Hankooks and the Pirelli OEMs?

Original Equipment Front Size 1: 235/35-19 OD: 25.4

Load Range XL

Original Equipment Rear Size 1: 295/30-19 OD: 26.1

Load Range XL

Pirelli PZero Rosso are OEM tires, very sticky, and very good tires.

They also wear very fast, but who cares. Grip is the most important on these cars.

And awesome in the rain, even at 50% or less tread.

Why would you want to go with a Hankook or some other off-brand tire?

Do you not like the tires that are on your G now? What are you running?

Pirelli PZero Rosso are OEM tires, very sticky, and very good tires.

They also wear very fast, but who cares. Grip is the most important on these cars.

And awesome in the rain, even at 50% or less tread.

Why would you want to go with a Hankook or some other off-brand tire?

Do you not like the tires that are on your G now? What are you running?

Kilo drives his car pretty hard, and I can attest that the tires grip as I've been in his car for some spirited runs...so the real question is, if the OP is asking for lower price range alternatives due to the fact he wants something for street driving, why throw away money if he doesn't need to?

Mich PS2s on my 996TT perform just like my Exclaim UHPs on my M3...why? Well, simply b/c I don't drive either car hard enough to push the limits of the tires capabilities...

just my 2 cents tho! if money didn't matter i'd put on the highest ranked tire regardless of cost too...but since money does matter, bang for buck does play into my decision...

Kilo drives his car pretty hard, and I can attest that the tires grip as I've been in his car for some spirited runs...so the real question is, if the OP is asking for lower price range alternatives due to the fact he wants something for street driving, why throw away money if he doesn't need to?

Mich PS2s on my 996TT perform just like my Exclaim UHPs on my M3...why? Well, simply b/c I don't drive either car hard enough to push the limits of the tires capabilities...

just my 2 cents tho! if money didn't matter i'd put on the highest ranked tire regardless of cost too...but since money does matter, bang for buck does play into my decision...

Thanks Jack. Hankooks are great tires for normal usage especially when factoring in their price. Not sure why the OP completely ignored my post, easily the most relevant response to his question. Oh well.

Maybe I am of a different philosophy here, but your life is riding on your tires and brakes. I would not want to skimp on either, and thus always buy the best (which usually equals the most expensive).

I always ask the question: "How much is your life worth?"

I respect that the OP does not drive hard, but that is only a part of the equation. Other factors like wet traction and emergency response steer/brake performance is the other half....Not a place I would want to skimp on a few dollars.

Maybe I am of a different philosophy here, but your life is riding on your tires and brakes. I would not want to skimp on either, and thus always buy the best (which usually equals the most expensive).

I always ask the question: "How much is your life worth?"

I respect that the OP does not drive hard, but that is only a part of the equation. Other factors like wet traction and emergency response steer/brake performance is the other half....Not a place I would want to skimp on a few dollars.

I understand where you are coming from. But price doesn't necessarily equate performance. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'll consider myself to drive my car to it's limits on the street and even more so on track.

With that "qualification" mentioned, I'm concluding with almost 2500 miles on these tires so far, they are stupid good value for $750/set. Yes, PZero's may be a little grippy, but for normal spirited driving, you won't be able to tell the difference in braking/traction/etc. Wet traction is fine too, but you should be using the better half of your judgement during those conditions. No tire, Pirelli or Hankook is going to save your life if you are stupid in wet conditions.

Are they good street tires? Yes.

Are they worth the price? Absolutely.

But they are not sticky enough to double as a track tire. (They do have good wear rating though)

Thanks Jack. Hankooks are great tires for normal usage especially when factoring in their price. Not sure why the OP completely ignored my post, easily the most relevant response to his question. Oh well.

Thanks for your comments. I read your post and decided to go with the Hankooks. Read a lot of reviews on them, spoke to the folks

at Tire Rack who confirmed that for my type of driving, the Hankooks are MORE than adequate.

Don't understand comments about sacrificing "safety" by going with these tires versus the ridiculously overpriced Pirellis. If I was

interested in driving at 10/10ths, I'd spend the extra bucks (and not care about the 4-5k mileage wearout) for the bit of extra grip for sure.

But for driving on 95 and local roads around S Florida, its totally overkill. Kind of like putting in 100 105 octane fuel in a commuter

car programmed to run on 87.

I'll save the $800 difference towards my upcoming 15k mile service :)

what's your impression of the hankook compared to what you had before? given that it's a summer tire also, do you think it's as grippy in dry and wet?