The making of the Sir Mix-a-Lot song "Carz"

TommyJames

As many of you know, Anthony Ray (Sir Mix-a-Lot) is a serious car guy. He is especially fond of Lamborghinis. In fact he’s been a Lamborghini owner longer than most on the forums.

Anthony got tired of the rent-a-car rappers constantly shooting videos with cars they don’t own, then finding himself bunched in with that group who know nothing about cars. He’s a real enthusiast, very knowledgable, an active member of the car community and a truly fun guy to hang around with. He’s a serious driver too!

So, this summer Anthony decided to write a song about the car guys who actually drive their cars, then shot with the very guys he hangs around with. We had 26 cars show up for one day of shooting alone, all in support of Anthony. In total I’m guessing there were over 50 cars involved, with so much footage shot that he will have content to post for months!

The song and video will be released this coming Saturday night right after the the big party we’re having in the Seattle area to sort of wrap up our car season. It will be available on iTunes and the video will be posted everywhere that same night.

I now have permission from Anthony to start posting some of the photos from the making of the video and I’ll give you some of the back story along the way.

The photos were shot by Jason Tang, Kim Lind, Vic Tiscareno, James Boyer and me.

IMG_2211_Resized.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shot I just posted was one we did of the cars in formation. We rented an active airport for the afternoon (expensive and complicated) and did a series of runs with various cars, some at very high speed, some very slow.

This shot was the most difficult. The plane and the Ferrari had to be one on top of the other and getting the timing down took forever. In the video you see the two coming at the camera in show motion. It's a great shot in the video.

_DSC2108_Resized.jpg

We tried to do a little homework before we did the shoot about music videos that used the most exotics ever. We think we used the highest number of exotics so far, but we don't know for sure. If anyone has seen something with more than 25 cars, please post a link.

The girls guarding one of my other cars. They will show up a lot more in the "making of" video. The blonde drove the Phantom for one of the overhead shots and each was a passenger in various other shots but you don't see them all that well.

IMG_1702_Reduced.jpg

This was a static shot and staging area for the long shots we took. There is a shot in the video where the camera is upside down as the cars pass under a walkway. They first shot the static footage before the upside down parade of cars. It's a cool effect in the video.

_DSC1051_Reduced.jpg

We did multiple passes; slow, fast, lights on, off, wings up, down, different color order, different arrangement, etc. It went on and on...

DSC_0608_2_Reduced.jpg

The Premier party is this Saturday. Anyone is welcome. We're expecting several hundred people for the event, including all the cars. We're going to shoot more video for upcoming use.

Both are serious car girls too. Very young though.

I'm pretty young myself...feel free to pass on my number buddy ;)

Looks like an awesome shoot! Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty young myself...feel free to pass on my number buddy ;)

Looks like an awesome shoot! Thanks for sharing.

Okay here is one more.

IMG_1918_Reduced.jpg