The making of the Sir Mix-a-Lot song "Carz"

TommyJames

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BABY GOT BACK!!!

Haha, couldn't help myself... :D

Looks like fun! And I like the Scuderias, too...they sound great and would love to have one of them.

Yea, the Scud is one of my favorite cars. It's really terrific. One suffered brake fade on its second high speed run during filming. It has CC brakes, yet it still managed to run off the end of the runway and take out a runway light in the process.

As in any big shoot, it's a lot of standing around. The fun part was that we all know each other as we've got a fairly tight automotive community.

DSC_0174_5.JPG

None of us think of Anthony as a rapper. We all know him as a car guy. He never dresses outside of this shoot like he's a rapper and he never tries to be the center of attention. He's attended every Saturday morning car event over the last two years, missing only five Saturdays in those two years. A group of us almost always go to breakfast right after Exotics at Redmond Town Center and we sit around telling stories, laughing our asses off before heading out on a drive. We forget that he's a celebrity until someone comes up for an autograph. You'd never otherwise know. He never ever asks for special treatment or is he ever anything but a really decent guy. I talked him into doing the article for La Vita Lamborghini two months ago because he is highly influential in car circles around here. He's owned 27 exotics over the years and he's nuts about his Lamborghini.

One of the really big early shareholders of Microsoft also joins us (someone with an impressive car collection) and those two discovered exotics at the same time and have known each other for more than 20 years as a result. It's fun listening to those two banter. Anthony is actually a bit of a nerd and builds his own amplifiers, speakers, etc., and believe me, he couldn't be further from the stereotype.

Starting next week, he will be more active here and I hope everyone treats him well.

Tommy, I'm sure you've heard the song. Is it his same usual Baby Got Back style? Is it good (IYHO)?

-Tommy

Yes, it's his same basic style. I actually like it and rap is not a big part of my music library. I'll post the lyrics after I get a copy of the new chorus, something he refined and reshot last week. We did a test of the song at a couple of events and people loved it, but with music, it's hard to ever know what will and won't work. I left the music business in the mid 80s and other than an occasional thanks, I'm not involved. (And NO, I'm NOT THAT Tommy James!) Anthony never thought Baby Got Back would be all that big either.

He was telling us last night here at my house that when the song went to number 1 he was playing a fairly small club and it was the club's manager who told him. Five weeks at #1 is a very long time for any rap song. It wasn't his first hit either.

Is he on here already Tommy?

Yes, he signed up and posted a few comments last year after we did the Lamborghini run in OC. We're swamped with stuff between now and Saturday as I'm the one hosting the party. Sunday I'm heading to the ocean to do nothing for a few days.

Looks like a fun shoot, I cant wait to see the final product.

If you know anything about cameras, this is one to have!

Ahhh, Red One....the Lamborghini of cameras. Although the Phantom HD Gold is the Bugatti :icon_super:

The Scarlet is another camera by Red that is 'supposed' to be coming out(more available to consumers), but Jim Jannard has been bullshitting on finalizing it and keeps raising the prices :eusa_naughty: . He can have his dickhead moments, but still a great camera.

Thanks for the great post, look forward to the song and video. Looks like a great time!

If I'm not mistaken, Jackass 3D was shot with a Red.

It probably had some shots in there from a Red. It's a great cinematic camera and is used in a lot of big screen films. It also wouldn't surprise me if a smaller sensor prosumer camera like a Panasonic or Sony camera was used.

For the slow motion shots a Phantom Gold was probably used.

It probably had some shots in there from a Red. It's a great cinematic camera and is used in a lot of big screen films. It also wouldn't surprise me if a smaller sensor prosumer camera like a Panasonic or Sony camera was used.

For the slow motion shots a Phantom Gold was probably used.

1,000 frames a second is nuts. That seems like a bitch to edit though.

I just want to say thanks to Tommy and all the people in the NW, to many to name, that have made this last year a GREAT one!!

With out all that gave their time and efforts...we would not even be on the map...but now..we can ALL be proud to be part of the NW car crazy fun bunch.

THANKS as I am sure we all APPRECIATE all you have done!!

Looking forward to another great up-coming year!!