Next Gallardo/R8 platform to be designed by...Porsche

Mako

I guess I'm the only one who's against this..

Porsche and Lambo are in competition with one another. And now Porsche is going to make the next Lambo? It's like asking Toyota to make the new Honda model. Toyota would make a half assed Accord to keep the sales of its Camry up. I really cant foresee Porsche making the best Lambo possible. I mean we already saw what Porsche did with the Cayman. They built a great platform but the final product was turned down a notch, ie no lsd, and only 295hp. They did this because with LSD and an additional 30hp the Cayman would have outperformed their flagship car - the 911.

I may be wrong but I don't think Honda or Toyota are owned by the same company.

I guess I'm the only one who's against this..

Porsche and Lambo are in competition with one another. And now Porsche is going to make the next Lambo? It's like asking Toyota to make the new Honda model. Toyota would make a half assed Accord to keep the sales of its Camry up. I really cant foresee Porsche making the best Lambo possible. I mean we already saw what Porsche did with the Cayman. They built a great platform but the final product was turned down a notch, ie no lsd, and only 295hp. They did this because with LSD and an additional 30hp the Cayman would have outperformed their flagship car - the 911.

It appears that it's just platforms, not the body or style itself of the vehicle. So they would just be making the new platform for a midengined sports car and a large sedan. Porsche doing this would help stabalize the chassis allowing for whatever Lamborghini drops in those cars to be able to handle it properly.

That being said, this issue sort of Already exists. VW has the platform for the Touareg, Q7 and Cayenne all batched into one. The Q5, Cajun and Tiguan are also another batch.

Despite the argument that VW makes it, the Q7 and Cayenne end up being direct competitors (aside from the Turbo model).

Other than the chassis design, I don't think Porsche will actually have all that much input as perceived. Because Porsche will share the chassis as well, they won't risk hurting the chassis because of sales. The Panamera and Estoque, if they share the same chassis may not work as direct competitors, but at the same time to mess that up because of Lamborghini only hurts your own car. They're best interest still lies to make the best possible chassis even with Lamborghini using it. This is the same if they make it for Bentley, Lamborghini and Bentley selling their cars aren't Porsche's headache, but if all three share the same stable chassis, then Porsche can use the actual car dynamics and handling to help sell their vehicle.

In the end, as long as they buy one of the three, VW won't give a damn.

It appears that it's just platforms, not the body or style itself of the vehicle. So they would just be making the new platform for a midengined sports car and a large sedan. Porsche doing this would help stabalize the chassis allowing for whatever Lamborghini drops in those cars to be able to handle it properly.

That being said, this issue sort of Already exists. VW has the platform for the Touareg, Q7 and Cayenne all batched into one. The Q5, Cajun and Tiguan are also another batch.

Despite the argument that VW makes it, the Q7 and Cayenne end up being direct competitors (aside from the Turbo model).

Other than the chassis design, I don't think Porsche will actually have all that much input as perceived. Because Porsche will share the chassis as well, they won't risk hurting the chassis because of sales. The Panamera and Estoque, if they share the same chassis may not work as direct competitors, but at the same time to mess that up because of Lamborghini only hurts your own car. They're best interest still lies to make the best possible chassis even with Lamborghini using it. This is the same if they make it for Bentley, Lamborghini and Bentley selling their cars aren't Porsche's headache, but if all three share the same stable chassis, then Porsche can use the actual car dynamics and handling to help sell their vehicle.

In the end, as long as they buy one of the three, VW won't give a damn.

I see, thank you for clarifying that for me :icon_thumleft: I wasn't aware Porsche was going to use the platform on their car as well, I thought the platform was to be used on the Gallardo and R8 only.

He was making a comparison.....they are not.

I know that but he is comparing Porsche and Lamborghini (which are owned by the same company.) Then he compares Honda and Toyota (not owned by the same company.)

Audi to head development of Porsche SUVs

Last week it was announced that Porsche would be taking over development duties for sports cars and large premium sedans within the VW Group.

Now comes the news that Audi didn't get completely shortchanged with regard to engineering assignments. Audi will now be responsible for developing large SUVs for VW Group brands, including Porsche.

That will include the next-generation Porsche Cayenne and the upcoming Porsche Cajun - a mid-sized SUV to be based on the Audi Q5. The current Porsche Cayenne was developed entirely by Porsche.

Audi will also be responsible for the development of the VW Touareg as well as the Audi Q7.

"This is not badge engineering. Porsche will be responsible for the engines and performance of the next Cayenne. It will drive like a Porsche and perform like a Porsche," said a Porsche spokesperson, confirming the reports in the German media to Automotive News Europe, and sounding a little defensive in the process.

Porsche purists may have something to add to that.

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/110121330005/a...s#ixzz184tdbCNo

I can't wait for the next announcements.

"Seat to head development of Bentley automobiles"

"Skoda to head development of next Bugatti"

"Scania to head development of next generation Polo"

IbnRushd not sure if relevant but the Q7 is a totally different platform from Cayenne and Touareg, I would be very surprised if Tiguan is built on the Q5 platform.

I hate the fact that Porsche is going to build the platforms for the next gen Lambos, I trust Audi to do a better job, 40 years of working on the Bettle you got to get it right I guess but other than the Carrera GT I don't like anything else from Porsche, so if they

give us a Carrera GT platform for the G replacement I can live with that :) no bugs for me please.

IbnRushd not sure if relevant but the Q7 is a totally different platform from Cayenne and Touareg, I would be very surprised if Tiguan is built on the Q5 platform.

If they changed it, I didn't actually know: http://used-cars-guide.co.uk/2010/08/26/au...yenne-platform/

I assumed the same pattern for the Tiguan given that they (Cajun and Q5) are similar in size. But the Tiguan could also reside on an elevated car platform. It would not be cost effective at all to create a new platform for it.

The only issue I see is the Audi based platform could cause some issues with the Cayenne if they decide to make the platform larger and thus causing the Cayenne to bulk back up after shedding 300lbs. The new Cayenne is pretty good, in terms of performance, from what I hear, but would it be able to remain nimble if Audi has the Q7 in mind. It sounds like whoever releases the first car on the new platform will judge the quality of the rest of the craftmenship. If Porsche screws up the platform for the R8 to fit their 911's, then I can see the Cayenne taking a hit, which is something Porsche and VW can't afford.

I had a Cayenne and from it I went to a Q7 because I wanted something larger so I looked into it, at the time of its release the Audi was "advertising" the fact that the Q7 was a brand new Audi developed platform, the Touareg on the other had is 100% identical with the 1st gen Cayenne

Edit:

Ok scratch what I said, you are correct, it looks like they share the same platform but it was stretched for the Q7, those mofos at the Q7 launch lied to me, they assured me it was a 100% brand new platform that had nothing in common with the Cayenne and

Touareg, not that I cared that much, the only thing I wanted was a slightly larger car which ultimately the Q7 is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_PL71_platform

There is not much I can say that hasn't already been said but if they make the next Gallardo along the lines of this I would be very happy.

lamborghini-embolado-04.jpg

fixed it.

cant wait for a panamestoque to be produced! oh and lp-697-4s... oh and a lm-ayenne004... man I could go on LOL....

On second thought, give us the cgt platform as the next gallardo platform!!!!v-10 and cabron!

fixed it.

There's a thought. The new Carrera GT and the next generation Lamborghini Halo could share a platform, that'd be interest to see.

• 5 months later...

Future Lamborghinis to be underpinned by Porsches - report

Estoque and LM00X slated for production

According to a recent report, Porsche will supply platforms for two upcoming Lamborghinis.

Auto Express says the next-generation Cayenne and Panamera will likely underpin the Estoque and LM002 successor (possibly called the LM00X). As one source puts it, "Lamborghini is entirely credible as an SUV maker, but it can't do it alone. And as Porsche has shown it already knows how to do it, it makes sense to work together."

Source: Auto Express