Putting fuel in my 98 VT Roadster = ROYAL PAIN!

Dmark22

Is this a normal problem with the Diablo? Every time I try to put gas in the tank I literally have to

hold it barely (B A R E L Y ...) :shock: on to fill it otherwise the gas handle trips off. I have tried it with a good

seal to the rubber anti vapor ring to the car and then without any seal at all. It takes 20 minutes to gas

up a car that should take 3 minutes! WTF? Is there something wrong with the design of these machines

gas filler neck? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Mark

Yes :icon_thumleft:

Varies a bit from pump to pump, some are impossible to use!

Has anyone figured out a fix? Maybe some sort of spout you could insert into the tank neck that would then fit to the gas nozzle?

More trouble than its worth probably...

Hear this is a common issue. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with mine. It's the way the neck is angled...almost causing a kink.

What is the best handle angle ? I have found turning the fuel nozzle almost upside down works best (but still not good)

Two things about this:

• I find holding the handle at about 7-8 o'clock as the best angle. This is in a system where holding the handle "normally" would be 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock points directly to the rear of the vehicle.
  • That said, I've heard of at least one Lambo owner claiming that cutting the fuel pipe (between the lid and the tank) by a quarter inch (0.25", as improbable as that seems) eliminates the problem entirely. It has to do with the vapor pressure, I believe.

Since I have the engine out, I'm going to trim my fuel pipe and report back on the results. In the meantime, I hope 7 to 8 o'clock helps.

If reducing the neck angle by cutting and stretching works, you guys should have one of the many custom silicone shops make you a redesigned filler neck with even further reduced angle. If this is really a problem with every Diablo I'm sure you could get enough of an opening purchase together to make it worth their while. Based on my experience with purchasing custom spec'd 4-ply silicone couplers from China in bulk this theoretical product could cost under $100 to retail.

Ok, I took my fuel hose off last night but decided not to trim it because I don't think it'll help in my situation. The side of the hose nearer to the fuel door fits over a sleeve that's so long that the only flexible portion is about an inch or two between it and the gas tank -- I think that relatively short distance is the real problem. Trimming the hose won't allow it to bend any less, at least in my case. Part #36 below is essentially too long.

Fuel.png

For those of you who trimmed your fuel hoses, was #36 much shorter? Mine seems to be around 4", which leaves it only an inch or two away from the top entry of the fuel tank.

Ok, I took my fuel hose off last night but decided not to trim it because I don't think it'll help in my situation. The side of the hose nearer to the fuel door fits over a sleeve that's so long that the only flexible portion is about an inch or two between it and the gas tank -- I think that relatively short distance is the real problem. Trimming the hose won't allow it to bend any less, at least in my case. Part #36 below is essentially too long.

Fuel.png

For those of you who trimmed your fuel hoses, was #36 much shorter? Mine seems to be around 4", which leaves it only an inch or two away from the top entry of the fuel tank.

i have seen this subject before on here , i have no issues with filling, any angle and any rate

will have to look at the set up to see whats different

ps where can i get these assembly diagrams for my year '91 ?

i have seen this subject before on here , i have no issues with filling, any angle and any rate

will have to look at the set up to see whats different

ps where can i get these assembly diagrams for my year '91 ?

Thanks for taking a look, @RHennessey. Let me know what you find.

For parts diagrams, I believe the official party line is that you should own a parts manual. I don't actually own one. Instead, I use a Lambo parts site (which apparently I can't name on here because they might not be a sponsor); it rhymes with BremboStuff.com.