help - broke my shifter!

bhalali

I was driving the car hard today, shifted from 2 to 3 and the shifter snapped in half!!!! WTF!!!!! Its a 6speed manual. what should i do? i started taking it apart and i got down to the transmission but it seemed difficult to remove the entire assembly. anyone had this happen before? any adivse? at this point it broke at the threads, i took a reverse drill bit and pulled out the brokren piece would it be a good idea to weld it back? any advise would be great.

thanks

ben

Happened to a chum of mine's Murci. Stealership wanted to sell him a new one, he kicked off and threatened to go to the press, they repaired F.O.C. Not unheard of problem at all.

I was driving the car hard today, shifted from 2 to 3 and the shifter snapped in half!!!! WTF!!!!! Its a 6speed manual. what should i do? i started taking it apart and i got down to the transmission but it seemed difficult to remove the entire assembly. anyone had this happen before? any adivse? at this point it broke at the threads, i took a reverse drill bit and pulled out the brokren piece would it be a good idea to weld it back? any advise would be great.

thanks

ben

Not sure what you can do, but I did hear of Car and Driver Magazine doing the same thing. I thought the shifter was made out of titanium

thanks

ben

Ben,

Have you got pics of the damage? Sounds amazing, I've not heard of this in any car before...

Michael