• 9 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 10 months later...

The psychology behind resistance to starting things, especially in creative endeavors. The market will always tell you...so just put it out there.

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/12/how...tion_for_2.html

A piece on why it is so difficult to start doing things one should do, and an easy brain hack that works to actually start:

http://www.engineering.com/Jobs/JobArticle...rain-ville.aspx

A common piece of advice is "just start!"/don't procrastinate, etc.

Let me explain, however, why this is a cognitive necessity.

No matter how carefully you plan something in your mind-- work through details, procure materials, etc-- it can't take into account everything that happens. Try imagining having sex with Paz de la Huerta; and then try actually having sex with her. The first is masturbation, the second is very tricky, although rewarding, business.

Every creative idea is a dialogue between you and yourself (masturbation); every creative act is a dialogue between you and reality (sex.) You can't account for that other half of the dialogue until you begin it.

Reality takes many forms: the light of a computer screen, the need for the "great phrase" to be surrounded by words that are less inspired; hunger, the need to pee, fatigue, caffeine headaches, hangovers; relentless, crippling, blackening self-doubt. You can never account for these except through action. I don't mean they are necessarily obstacles-- they don't necessarily hold you back-- but the are real success of any creative act is that it transcended reality not by bypassing it, but by going through it.

Or you can just go back to masturbating

• 9 months later...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-...global-warming/

If global warming keeps increasing water temp down from the carribean up the east coast, then buy property where?

Unless we start seeing serious rises in the ocean, I'm not concerned. The vast majority of the world's ice is in the Antarctic, so unless/until that starts melting big-time, I wouldn't worry. Also just an FYI, but the author of the article, Chris Mooney, is VERY pro-global warming (i.e. a hardcore believer). And the climate researcher he cites, Michael Mann, also is a very devoted believer (this isn't to say either of them are wrong, just that there could be some bias in this article, especially from Mooney).

Unless we start seeing serious rises in the ocean, I'm not concerned. The vast majority of the world's ice is in the Antarctic, so unless/until that starts melting big-time, I wouldn't worry. Also just an FYI, but the author of the article, Chris Mooney, is VERY pro-global warming (i.e. a hardcore believer). And the climate researcher he cites, Michael Mann, also is a very devoted believer (this isn't to say either of them are wrong, just that there could be some bias in this article, especially from Mooney).

It's not the issue of drowning, it's the issue that the water temp in florida is +10 degrees this winter, which is great. Water goes up north, goes through colder arctic seas (which should get colder) and comes back down west coast, even more cooled. I guess what I'm saying is I'm checking out Savannah Georgia for my next trip.