overfilling oil in gallardo 04

sohail

i just had an oil change at a non-auth dealer since closest one is 150 miles away. afterwards, i called non-auth dealer and he said to add oil if i was concerned. the gauge was showing low oil so i added 3 quarts.

however, i didnt check oil properly like the manual says. i drove car about 2 miles puffing thick blue smoke. i then checked oil properly and am over 6 inches on dipstick. can i just suck out extra oil? did i damage engine? it still starts.

any help would be appreciated. btw, i know im an idiot for this one.

CIMG0007.JPG

you should be able to suck out the oil using a hand pump . however I'd play it safe, dont start the car and call lamborghini to come and collect it.

Suck out about 2 liters. place dip stick in and recheck level. If you still see oil to high pull 1 liter out at a time and check. once you are below the bottom mark run car up to operation temp. As it is warming up listen for any knocking. If you do not her knock you should be ok. I would have a compression test preformed and leak down by someone who knows these cars to make sure nothing happened.

I have see car get over filled and not problems when oil is set correctly. I have seen were the intake has had to be removed and cleaned out do to over fill and have had an engine need replaced mend do to rods bending fro oil over fill.

Good luck

i would not drive it until you drain or suck some oil out first. you can mess up the engine if you continue to drive it.

also, remove your intake boxes to see if there is any sign of oil. if so, clean it up and drive it to your mechanic to have him inspect the intake manifold runners, MAF and clean as necessary.

it's ok to have an inch or so above the upper limit. 6 inches is definitely too much. you probably need to drain about 4 qts / 1 gallon at this point.

if you suck oil out, make sure your pipe is clean. you can get a hand pump and some clear tubes at auto supply stores. if you drain, open the oil tank plug. i would suck it out so you don't screw something else up. the plug is a bit tricky if you don't have the right bit.

Yes you can suck it out.

Most likely no damage to engine I have seen it done many times by customers and non dealers.

Most likely the left side air cleaner will need replaced as it will be full of oil. The air cleaner housing will have oil in bottom which should be cleaned out.

I would replace the air cleaner and suck oil out before you restart. It will blow smoke for a few even after oil level is right and a new air cleaner.

Yes you can suck it out.

Most likely no damage to engine I have seen it done many times by customers and non dealers.

Most likely the left side air cleaner will need replaced as it will be full of oil. The air cleaner housing will have oil in bottom which should be cleaned out.

I would replace the air cleaner and suck oil out before you restart. It will blow smoke for a few even after oil level is right and a new air cleaner.

thanks for the input. can i drive it after sucking oil out with hand pump? that way i can drive it to someone to change air filter.

THANK YOU.

be aware that some 04 G's , like mine, have the dipstick marker actually too high and a little overfill is very easy to do. Mine full is actually a quarter to half inch below the full marker on the dipstick. Also they need to be fully warmed up or you will not get a proper reading.

Just some added notes from my own personnal fcuk ups :)

i would not drive it until you drain or suck some oil out first. you can mess up the engine if you continue to drive it.

also, remove your intake boxes to see if there is any sign of oil. if so, clean it up and drive it to your mechanic to have him inspect the intake manifold runners, MAF and clean as necessary.

it's ok to have an inch or so above the upper limit. 6 inches is definitely too much. you probably need to drain about 4 qts / 1 gallon at this point.

if you suck oil out, make sure your pipe is clean. you can get a hand pump and some clear tubes at auto supply stores. if you drain, open the oil tank plug. i would suck it out so you don't screw something else up. the plug is a bit tricky if you don't have the right bit.

No MAF on these cars. They use a MAP.

Don't let these guys scare you...Suck some out. Recheck it the proper way, and then check the air filters (as Jeff says) - that's probably the only "damage" you will likely incur.

No need for compression checks and intake removals at this point. There is nothing wrong with getting a small amount of oil into the intake/combustion chamber. Part if the PCV system is to get oil vapors and gases into intake stream.

Don't let these guys scare you...Suck some out. Recheck it the proper way, and then check the air filters (as Jeff says) - that's probably the only "damage" you will likely incur.

No need for compression checks and intake removals at this point. There is nothing wrong with getting a small amount of oil into the intake/combustion chamber. Part if the PCV system is to get oil vapors and gases into intake stream.

thanks.. you and jeff gave the best advice as the only prob after sucking the oil out was a need to change the left air filter.