Lambo owners, please chime in

Kisco

This is a tough one. Really depends what you're going for. I'm going to write this comparison from the view of a non-TT pre-560 Gallardo vs. the R8 V8.

Looks:

Again, this here depends what you're going for. Girls absolutely go crazy over a white R8. It's very classy looking, feminine-esque styling, and the LED lights in the front and engine bay throw them over the top. The Gallardo on the other hand, much more edgy and extreme in every department. Personally, I like the front end on the R8 better (probably because the LED lighting), and much prefer the rear end of the Gallardo. If I had to choose one here, it's the Lamborghini...nothing else like it.

Interior:

Here I have to choose the R8. Much more roomy feeling, leather is extremely soft, and hey the thing has cup holders lol. The steering wheel is the perfect size for my hands and I love the way it feels with how the car handles (also nice that includes controls for the audio). The front boot also feels bigger to me, but that might just be because the hood is so damn big. The Gallardo interior definitely feels dated in the pre-560 car, but it's very Lamborghini (accented stitching, suede headliner, tight feeling, so on).

Driving:

When driving the R8 it's one of those cars where I think of every errand I have to run and the longest route home. When I get in this car it's honestly hard for me to get out. It's just so damn easy and fun to drive...minus the hassle-feel that the Lamborghini gives you (if you've owned one, you know what I'm talking about). The R8 is so smooth feeling it's crazy. The Lamborghini is obviously a blast to drive too, but stock for stock I'd take the R8. The Lambo is a very raw feeling (though sometimes what you want in a supercar).

Power:

Obviously the Gallardo, being it's a V10, wins here. Being that my R8 is my daily driver, the V8 to me, is the perfect amount of power. Enough to scoot through traffic and keep me thrilled. I'd compare the power to my E90 M3 I had. Throw some turbos in the Gallardo (or R8) and you're in for the treat of a lifetime. Now that my Gallardo is TT'd I often find myself in that most of the time, even though the R8 is a much smoother ride. Something about that boost is just way too addicting!

Sound:

Both (like any car) are too quiet stock. Stock for stock I like the sound of the R8 more (very deep and throaty sounding). A blast to drive around town rev-matching as Porter mentioned. The Gallardo is definitely more F1 / exotic sounding once you throw the right exhaust on it. Sound audio / electronic wise the R8 is lightyears ahead (especially with the bang & olufsen sound option my car has).

Reaction/Attention:

The reaction to the R8 has always been very positive, while the Lamborghini attracts more of the haters. Girls go crazy over both. Best way to put it; girls that are more attracted to the R8 can meet Mom, Lambo chicks just want to have a good time (and wipe out your pocket lol). In general, the Lamborghini attracts much more attention (taking pictures, screaming, all of that). I think a big part of that also has to do with color though. I had a pearl white Gallardo Spyder that hardly got much attention at all unlike the in-your-face lime green that screams Lamborghini!

All in all, you can see I am a huge fan of the R8. So if there was no such thing as turbos, the LP560 hadn't been released, there was no R8 V10, and I could only have one car to live with...I would be an R8 V8 owner. If you're going to daily drive the car and have a blast doing it...R8. If you're looking for something that makes you the talk of your town and is a weekend driver...Gallardo.

Hope this helps.

My two:

6c85e2a.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rob,

Thanks so much for the detailed post. Your sentiments reflect my thoughts about the two cars, and now confirms them. Thanks again for taking the time and writing that out. :icon_thumleft:

This is a tough one. Really depends what you're going for. I'm going to write this comparison from the view of a non-TT pre-560 Gallardo vs. the R8 V8.

Looks:

Again, this here depends what you're going for. Girls absolutely go crazy over a white R8. It's very classy looking, feminine-esque styling, and the LED lights in the front and engine bay throw them over the top. The Gallardo on the other hand, much more edgy and extreme in every department. Personally, I like the front end on the R8 better (probably because the LED lighting), and much prefer the rear end of the Gallardo. If I had to choose one here, it's the Lamborghini...nothing else like it.

Interior:

Here I have to choose the R8. Much more roomy feeling, leather is extremely soft, and hey the thing has cup holders lol. The steering wheel is the perfect size for my hands and I love the way it feels with how the car handles (also nice that includes controls for the audio). The front boot also feels bigger to me, but that might just be because the hood is so damn big. The Gallardo interior definitely feels dated in the pre-560 car, but it's very Lamborghini (accented stitching, suede headliner, tight feeling, so on).

Driving:

When driving the R8 it's one of those cars where I think of every errand I have to run and the longest route home. When I get in this car it's honestly hard for me to get out. It's just so damn easy and fun to drive...minus the hassle-feel that the Lamborghini gives you (if you've owned one, you know what I'm talking about). The R8 is so smooth feeling it's crazy. The Lamborghini is obviously a blast to drive too, but stock for stock I'd take the R8. The Lambo is a very raw feeling (though sometimes what you want in a supercar).

Power:

Obviously the Gallardo, being it's a V10, wins here. Being that my R8 is my daily driver, the V8 to me, is the perfect amount of power. Enough to scoot through traffic and keep me thrilled. I'd compare the power to my E90 M3 I had. Throw some turbos in the Gallardo (or R8) and you're in for the treat of a lifetime. Now that my Gallardo is TT'd I often find myself in that most of the time, even though the R8 is a much smoother ride. Something about that boost is just way too addicting!

Sound:

Both (like any car) are too quiet stock. Stock for stock I like the sound of the R8 more (very deep and throaty sounding). A blast to drive around town rev-matching as Porter mentioned. The Gallardo is definitely more F1 / exotic sounding once you throw the right exhaust on it. Sound audio / electronic wise the R8 is lightyears ahead (especially with the bang & olufsen sound option my car has).

Reaction/Attention:

The reaction to the R8 has always been very positive, while the Lamborghini attracts more of the haters. Girls go crazy over both. Best way to put it; girls that are more attracted to the R8 can meet Mom, Lambo chicks just want to have a good time (and wipe out your pocket lol). In general, the Lamborghini attracts much more attention (taking pictures, screaming, all of that). I think a big part of that also has to do with color though. I had a pearl white Gallardo Spyder that hardly got much attention at all unlike the in-your-face lime green that screams Lamborghini!

All in all, you can see I am a huge fan of the R8. So if there was no such thing as turbos, the LP560 hadn't been released, there was no R8 V10, and I could only have one car to live with...I would be an R8 V8 owner. If you're going to daily drive the car and have a blast doing it...R8. If you're looking for something that makes you the talk of your town and is a weekend driver...Gallardo.

:iamwithstupid:

The R8 V10 R-tronic is the PERFECT allaround supercar, period, nothing can touch it for what it is, nothing.

My next dailydriver will be a R8 V10, white of course, untill I can get my hands on an Aventador that is ;)

For comparison purposes are we talking about a used R8 v10 in the 130k range? Just curious money wise what its direct competition would be. Assuming a 911 turbo would be right there but the LP560 is still a decent jump up in price.

For comparison purposes are we talking about a used R8 v10 in the 130k range? Just curious money wise what its direct competition would be. Assuming a 911 turbo would be right there but the LP560 is still a decent jump up in price.

Basically I am looking at 130-150K. The PDK would be another option but I think a purchase like that would leave me like the GTR did, wanting to sell it and get into another exotic.

R8 V10 and a Gallardo variant are the only cars out there that I can think of in that price range that would satisfy my need for an exotic car. LP560 of course would be sweet.....Say, a Baloon white coupe with Black wheels and orange calipers.. :icon_mrgreen: But every time I think about purchasing a Gallardo, I get flashbacks about how crappy the leather quality is in these cars. Pathetic. I sure hope the R8 leather doesn't crack and wrinkle as fast and as soon as the Gallardo leather did.

I would give the Bentley Supersports a look as well. I have seen a few go in the 140's. Hard to argue with the interior on that! The Audi looks like it does everything well but if you are looking for that wow factor I think the audi has the same problem as the 911.

I would give the Bentley Supersports a look as well. I have seen a few go in the 140's. Hard to argue with the interior on that! The Audi looks like it does everything well but if you are looking for that wow factor I think the audi has the same problem as the 911.

R8 has way more wow factor than a 911...

R8 has way more wow factor than a 911...

What I am looking for is a car that is a WOW for my eyes, I can't care less about anyone else, or the ladies, etc. When I had my Gallardo I used to go out to the garage before bed and take a peek at the car. I used to turn around every time I parked the car at the grocery store and look back to see how bad ass the car looks. I used to wash the car every 4 days because I was infatuated with the conture of the car when the lines were exposed. This is what I want again.

I am over being the fastest, or wanting a 4 sec 60-130 time. Been there, done that, and I am just over it. I just want a bad bitch that wows me everytime I look at it, sounds great, and is fast enough to at least beat a stock Z-06.. :lol2:

What I am looking for is a car that is a WOW for my eyes, I can't care less about anyone else, or the ladies, etc. When I had my Gallardo I used to go out to the garage before bed and take a peek at the car. I used to turn around every time I parked the car at the grocery store and look back to see how bad ass the car looks. I used to wash the car every 4 days because I was infatuated with the conture of the car when the lines were exposed. This is what I want again.

I am over being the fastest, or wanting a 4 sec 60-130 time. Been there, done that, and I am just over it. I just want a bad bitch that wows me everytime I look at it, sounds great, and is fast enough to at least beat a stock Z-06.. :lol2:

Much as I like my R8 it sounds like for you a Gallardo is the way to go. I remember doing the same stuff when I had my G. I do like the looks of the R8, but I can go upstairs to bed at night without that last look at the car. If I had a 560 I'd be looking at it saying,"WOW". I'm also a fan of fixed rear spoliers like on Superlegeras.

I like Astons too adn so does my wife!

No problem guys. I agree, the R8 V10 must be the perfect car. I need to get out and drive one!

I had a chance to drive a r8 v10 spider 6 speed and I loved it

But I am thinking hard if I should save my money and buy the car since they are giving 15 off

Sticker.

I went and looked at the 560 and the R8 yesterday.

Walked in the Audi dealer first and looked at the Black R8 there. The car looked great. Low, wide, a little aggressive and a lot of elegance. The interior was nice and had a modern design and feel to it.

Then I went to the Lambo dealer down the street and saw a LP550-2 in Orange (only car they had as a Gallardo). I didn't get too excited. Now, I am not sure if that is because the car was Orange and it didn't do anything for me in that color, or if it was because it basically looked like my older 04 Gallardo with some minor revisions, or if the interior in Orange was just YUCK, or all of the above. IDK, but I almost felt like the Audi got me more excited. After trying to analyze why I felt the way I did, the only sound reasoning I can come up with that is that the Audi is something new to me that I haven't experienced while the 560 is just a variant of my older Gallardo.

Bottom line is that it is going to be a very hard choice and I will have to drive both back to back to see what I think since I haven't driven either. It is going to be difficult to justify the 35K more for the Lambo though, IMO. We will see what happens.....

Thanks all for opinions for thoughts. Much appreciated.

I went and looked at the 560 and the R8 yesterday.

Walked in the Audi dealer first and looked at the Black R8 there. The car looked great. Low, wide, a little aggressive and a lot of elegance. The interior was nice and had a modern design and feel to it.

Then I went to the Lambo dealer down the street and saw a LP550-2 in Orange (only car they had as a Gallardo). I didn't get too excited. Now, I am not sure if that is because the car was Orange and it didn't do anything for me in that color, or if it was because it basically looked like my older 04 Gallardo with some minor revisions, or if the interior in Orange was just YUCK, or all of the above. IDK, but I almost felt like the Audi got me more excited. After trying to analyze why I felt the way I did, the only sound reasoning I can come up with that is that the Audi is something new to me that I haven't experienced while the 560 is just a variant of my older Gallardo.

Bottom line is that it is going to be a very hard choice and I will have to drive both back to back to see what I think since I haven't driven either. It is going to be difficult to justify the 35K more for the Lambo though, IMO. We will see what happens.....

Thanks all for opinions for thoughts. Much appreciated.

Seems to make sense...it might drive different, but the 550 (esp in orange) is probably too familiar to you.

Seems to make sense...it might drive different, but the 550 (esp in orange) is probably too familiar to you.

Ya. I wonder how I would feel about the situation had that 550 been a Black or White one, which are the only two colors I am considering for the 560. Hmm..

So earlier today, I visited of Lamborghini of Newport Beach (pics to come in another thread). While I was there, I test drove a V10 R8. It was a black 2010, it was a tiptronic with the carbon fiber interior. The exterior was more refined, and less aggressive than the LP560; but I still think it is very bad ass!

IMO, the interior felt and looked a lot better than the Gallardo's. I sat in a lp560 afterwards, and it did not excite me. I have driven an 04 Gallardo, and the interior was almost identical other than the switches on the center console and the navigation.

Now the drive- It has been a while since I have driven a Gallardo, but the R8 felt a lot smoother, shifting seemed pretty responsive (not driven in sport mode), I didn't beat on the car but at 3/4 throttle it pulled pretty well. The ride was very really good for a super car, no jerking, no squeaks. Granted, I did not hit any pot holes, but I drove over man hole covers and it was very compliant. The exhaust is not as loud as a Gallardo, but it still sounded nice and exotic. Down shifting to 5k rpm still put a big smile on face :D

Basically, I can confirm what everyone else has said; it is an updated, smoother, and more refined version of the Galladro.

Honestly, I think that if you have owned a Gallardo before, you are better off getting V10 R8.

Here is the R8 I test drove, I will make a new thread tomorrow and post all the pictures and videos from my visit, (the entire LP- family was there :monkeyleft: )

IMG_0330.JPG

Thanks Single,

It seems like you also agree with everyone else in regards to the feel of the Gallardo and the R8.

I must admit, that LP560 in the background looks pretty sexy.. :icon_thumleft:

The R8 is starting to grow on me. I would like to have a 6-speed R8 (4.2 V8 would be just fine, maybe even preferred) for a daily driver/road trip, all-around kind of car.

Wouldn't want an R8 (whether it's V8 or V10) in place of my Gallardo, though...would rather upgrade to a 6-speed 560/570 than do that. Then add the R8 like GBGallardo did.

I went to go look at some Ford GTs today. Spent some time looking at a couple and then there was an Audi dealership close by that had an R8.

I never in a million years thought I would look at an R8 and think it is bland, boring, and as plain as ever. Looking at FGTs will do that.

Ford GT = WILD!!

Are you now jumping ships to FGT?

It's always been between the R8, 560, and the FGT. I just never mentioned the FGT on here in this thread, but it was always on the list. I have actually been in contact with a few FGT owners from this forum speaking to them about the FGT.

Now I can safely cross off the R8 from the list. It will come down to the 560 or FGT. This was the first time I really got to inspect the FGT up close and personal. I have been around them a few times but I never really got a good look at them. Man, what a wild car.

But no TC, 2-way seats only, bad visibility, and inconvenient door structure are some of the things that I did not like about it. But as far as presence, it get a W for Wild!!!

I have a tough decision to make here, but I am going to enjoy thinking about which car to get over the next few mths. Part of the fun in purchasing a car is making up your mind on which one to get.. :icon_thumleft:

I think FGT is the car for you. Black with no stripes, or red with no stripes

You want the big power, but want something that is still exotic. Something you get excited about driving.

You should ask Sprite his thoughts. He has owned a TTSL, and a pulley/tune/exhaust FGT.

The FGT has held value and even appreciated at times.

Minor mods=big power, and if you want more, throw a whipple or turbos on it.