An Exotic Marketplace

Chad B

Hello all, I'm new here to the site, but however during the short time I've been here, I must say I have become addicted. This site is great, After becoming a member here and searching for exotics for sale, I realized besides ebay there aren't,dupont, there aren't really any marketplaces specifically for exotics. So I came up with the idea of a website that exotic car owners, dealers,ect could post their for sale ads. I'm thinking a flat rate fee of say $19.95 for unlimited pics,ect and if I do this I would be interested in becoming a sponsor here on this forum. I was just wondering if you guys/gals would mind giving your opinion on if you think it would be a good idea? Thanks in advance.

-Chad

QUOTE (Chad B @ Dec 11 2011, 01:04 PM)
if you think it would be a good idea? Thanks in advance.

-Chad

No. You're welcome.

Joe is not just another opinion either, he actually has first hand experience. I'd listen to him if I were you.

Good luck either way.

Best

QUOTE (Chad B @ Dec 11 2011, 02:01 PM)
May I ask why?

Really these sites already exist. It's not a unique idea. They only way it would work is if you have a shitload of money to promote it so it would become a household name. Then you have to wonder...how many exotics are for sale? How is 20 dollars per exotic going to really make you any money? Exotics often take time to sell, how long is your listing going to be for? Why would i go to your site over the 4 big well knowns (ebay, cars.com, auto trader.com, dupont)?

Those are a few things that come to mind.

No unique selling point or comeptitive advantage over the many many many sites in this category that already exist.

Keep thinking, there are better ideas out there to be had, just as the Is Anyone Up? guy is proving currently...christ why didn't I think of that...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your opinions as they were definitely eye openers. I own a retail store here locally, I've always dabbled in internet as well so thought I'd take a stab at it, as I now have a manager in place and a little more free time. Thanks again.

Exotics often take time to sell, how long is your listing going to be for? Why would i go to your site over the 4 big well knowns (ebay, cars.com, auto trader.com, dupont)?

Those are a few things that come to mind.

As well as these guys there are a ton of other sites out there that cater to this market area like jameslist.com and the exceedingly well done http://www.classicdriver.com

To create something now you need to bring something new to table (and frankly there is not a lot that can be done on this type of site that has not already been done) and prepare to run at loss for a long time. A really long time.

For example, Pistonheads was a one man band which was later sold to Haymarket rumoured to in the region of 10 million GBP. They have a classifieds section and now new members are charged to put an ad up. Yes it does turn over a surprising amount of money to Haymarket but what are you able to offer someone when there is some many options already established?

I agree that there are plenty of website marketplaces, and trying to do another one is going to be harder than pushing a rock uphill ... BUT there is not one that I really like. There are features of some I like better than others. I only use the big ones out there because there is nothing else.

Another point to ponder is that even if you build a website, we [people who search for cars] will still use eBay, autotrader.com, dupontregistry.com, plus others because you might find a car advertised on one website but not on any others.

To make something work, you are going to have to make something that is priced better than everything else out there and offer unique features. Even if you build something, how will you get people to list their car on your website with very little traffic?

A lot of good points. I own a Steve Jobs remembrance website, that I make less than $100/mo with just to get my feet wet in the internet business, and now I'd like to go a step further.

As well as these guys there are a ton of other sites out there that cater to this market area like jameslist.com and the exceedingly well done http://www.classicdriver.com

Classicdriver.com is a very lovely corner of the internet, in addition to the interesting cars you find for sale over there, the articles they publish are really really cool too.

You'd have to have the following to be successful in an exotic marketplace website:

1) Unique professional content

2) SEO

3) Massive Traffic

4) Unique user-generated content

5) Social aspect

6) Very expensive marketing

7) a reason people would want to go to you

8) lots and lots of reasons people wouldn't want to go to your competitors

9) The Patience of a Saint with highfalutin exotic owners

10) Some sort of genuine barrier to entry

11) I could go on and on and on.

There are SO MANY great business opportunities out there right now which are being ignored, especially as the cubicles are being emptied into the streets. Brokering luxury items just isn't the pinacle of ingenuity. There are those who are exceedingly good at it, they are rare. I would say if you're bored out of your gourd and swimming in Cristal for your noon time exercise, go for it.