Getting Front LP 560 Front Bumper Installed

Lamby123

I am currently putting on an RSC 560 Bumper on my 08 SL.

It is a substantial molding that you receive from RSC and its Polyurethane, so the body shop can work with it.

However it is by no means 'Plug & Play'..

The shop (Lamborghini approved) has spent 2 full days trimming, building up where necessary, filing, getting gaps, lines and thicknesses perfect where necessary. It also does not line up all the pre-drilled holes exactly, so most holes have to be slotted to get the screws to locate.

The centre air slot is also not pre-cut, so that has to be done as well.

It will look perfect when finished - but it will take at least 5 full days of work until I can drive the car away.

Be prepared to spend good money on a quality fitment and finish, anybody that tells you otherwise isn't prepared to produce a 'Factory Finished' piece of work, on their Front Bumper

that's in line with what I have heard and seen. lots of people think it's easy and use an average body shop to do it. the result is average, not exactly up to par for a supercar. many bumper fitment and color match results lead me into thinking it's just too much hassle and money spent. when all said and done, i still feel the early G doesn't look quite right with the bumper. I sure hope you like yours though!

what color is your car and are you blending into the adj panels to match color?

Guest StuartRSC

Just for clarification guys (and I spoke to the OP about this to make sure they didn't make the mistake) there is not supposed to be a hole in the center section of the RSC bumper. The LP560 does have this, but it also has an additional radiator there, which the Gallardo does not. Our virtual wind tunnel testing showed we would have a pressure point there if the cutout was present (due to the differences between the two cars) and therefore that it should be filled in.

Best thing to do is paint the area behind the center grill flat black.

Doesn't seem quite right to spend $4k on a front bumper only to spend that again to put it on. Why can't it be made to go on easier, especially at the not so cheap price point that these are going for?

Doesn't seem quite right to spend $4k on a front bumper only to spend that again to put it on. Why can't it be made to go on easier, especially at the not so cheap price point that these are going for?

It can be made. All the rsc lp560 front bumpers i've seen in person look off. The gap between the bumper and hood is big and noticeably disproportional with the rest of the gaps on the car. Problem is their mold isn't a perfect fit and they've been making bumpers from that mold. Personally if it were my business I would have made a new mold after seeing so many bumpers that don't fit/look right. But that costs money. And I doubt RSC will make a new mold as long as owners are willing to pay for what's currently offered from them.

I recently put a 570 front bumper on my car that the body shop had to spend an extra 3 days on for it to fit perfectly. Nothing that's currently offered is a "plug n play" replacement. So be prepared to spend extra money on it.

Guest SP_Lotta Murci
It can be made. All the rsc lp560 front bumpers i've seen in person look off. The gap between the bumper and hood is big and noticeably disproportional with the rest of the gaps on the car. Problem is their mold isn't a perfect fit and they've been making bumpers from that mold. Personally if it were my business I would have made a new mold after seeing so many bumpers that don't fit/look right. But that costs money. And I doubt RSC will make a new mold as long as owners are willing to pay for what's currently offered from them.

I recently put a 570 front bumper on my car that the body shop had to spend an extra 3 days on for it to fit perfectly. Nothing that's currently offered is a "plug n play" replacement. So be prepared to spend extra money on it.

:iamwithstupid:

So pick a good body shop boys!!

Totally agree on the fact that you need a really, really good body shop and that it's going to cost some serious money to do the job in a way that befits the car it's going on. But I'm not sure I agree that these bumpers can be made to fit easily and perfectly out of the box if the mold were only better. These are handbuilt cars and the OEM bumpers are fitted with a lot of shims and tedious adjustments to make them fit. My guess is if you ordered an OEM bumper and had it installed at the typical body shop it wouldn't look OEM. I'm not saying that the aftermarket bumpers are quite as consistent or "close" on the fit as the OEM ones, just that with either of them the installer makes a BIG difference. And maybe a somewhat larger difference with an aftermarket one. Done right it's not a cheap mod, but it really changes the look of the car for the better IMO--it makes the early G's look much more consistent with Lamborghini's more recent styling direction and therefore newer. And heck how many cars have you seen that someone has dumped $10k or more in for mods and the car itself wouldn't bring $20k. People have spent a lot more to a lot less effect IMO.

Guest StuartRSC

How much money is an OEM Gallardo bumper?

It can't be made to go on easier because that is the nature of fitting a polyurethane front bumper to a hand-built Lamborghini. Any body shop who has ever installed an OEM bumper on a Gallardo will tell you that it requires the same amount of adjustment and attention to detail to get the fitment just right. The OEM bumpers don't even fit 'Plug and Play', they need shims & spacers and a skillled bodyman to fit properly.

Guest StuartRSC

I'm sure there are some RSC bumpers out there that don't fit quite right, I have certainly seen some poor fitments out there. However, I have equally seen a lot of well-fitted bumpers that look as though they left the factory installed.

You seem to be implying that we did a rush job and decided it was 'good enough'. Those guys on here who were amongst the first buyers will certainly attest that it wasn't rushed.... lol. If we were selling something sub-par there's no way we would now be closing in on 400 sold.

I'm sorry to have a go at you, but you seem to be insinuating that we're not making a quality product when the cases you've seen are more than likely fitment and not production issues.

Stuart - it seems like a few people are making the same insinuation. Is there a production explanation as to the difficulty with fitment that some seem to have? I definitely am a prospective customer, but I don't want to buy a $4k part with the expectation of a relatively plug and play application, then be dissapppinted when I spend another $3-4k for bodywork because of fitnent issues.

Thanks for your reply.

Stuart - it seems like a few people are making the same insinuation. Is there a production explanation as to the difficulty with fitment that some seem to have? I definitely am a prospective customer, but I don't want to buy a $4k part with the expectation of a relatively plug and play application, then be dissapppinted when I spend another $3-4k for bodywork because of fitnent issues.

Thanks for your reply.

Stuart,

Maybe some pointers to our installers will help. I have one installed and my guy knows his stuff but the line between the hood and bumper kicked his butt.

I am not shooting the product down but maybe there are some adjustments or tricks in fitting it. (I love it on the car, most people don't notice the slight mis-alignment but I do).

for those of you guys that did do the 570 bumper how much did the whole thing approx run you guys? and does SP do paint and bodywork?

Guest StuartRSC

Thanks for your reply.

Happy to post up both some pics of 'Good' installs, along with a light install guide for body shops to use as a reference. As I've said before, we have now sold nearly 400 bumpers and while there are some examples of bad installs out there, there are some body shops out there that will complain about normal fitment and hand out large bills (not accusing anyone, just saying.) The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of these bumpers are fitted without any issues. With polyurethane there will always be some stretching and flexing, but this is no different than installing an OEM bumper. If you pull your OEM bumper off the car and throw another one on, 100% it will not fit out of the gate as a 'plug and play.' If you are taking this product to a body shop that is not set up for this type of install they probably shouldn't be working on handbuilt car like the Gallardo.

I have personally seen well over 50 bumpers installed on cars, the vast majority of which have been done by Lamborghini of Miami's only approved collision repair center, and they all come out looking like OEM in a 10-14 hour install (depending whether you blend into the hood or wings.) Let me get back to the office next week and I will share some photos with you guys so you can see how well the bumpers fit.

that's in line with what I have heard and seen. lots of people think it's easy and use an average body shop to do it. the result is average, not exactly up to par for a supercar. many bumper fitment and color match results lead me into thinking it's just too much hassle and money spent. when all said and done, i still feel the early G doesn't look quite right with the bumper. I sure hope you like yours though!

what color is your car and are you blending into the adj panels to match color?

My car colour is Orange, its a Superlegerra. Yes i am going to blend it into the adjacent panels, will post pics when finished

Just for clarification guys (and I spoke to the OP about this to make sure they didn't make the mistake) there is not supposed to be a hole in the center section of the RSC bumper. The LP560 does have this, but it also has an additional radiator there, which the Gallardo does not. Our virtual wind tunnel testing showed we would have a pressure point there if the cutout was present (due to the differences between the two cars) and therefore that it should be filled in.

Best thing to do is paint the area behind the center grill flat black.

Thanks for that Stuart, yes, painting it black behind the central grille.

It wont cost $4k to put it on. Negotiate with your body shop a fixed price, it should be roughly in the vicinity of $1.5k to $2.0k. for that money you should receive a truly professional job. Choose your body shop wisely of course!

Totally agree on the fact that you need a really, really good body shop and that it's going to cost some serious money to do the job in a way that befits the car it's going on. But I'm not sure I agree that these bumpers can be made to fit easily and perfectly out of the box if the mold were only better. These are handbuilt cars and the OEM bumpers are fitted with a lot of shims and tedious adjustments to make them fit. My guess is if you ordered an OEM bumper and had it installed at the typical body shop it wouldn't look OEM. I'm not saying that the aftermarket bumpers are quite as consistent or "close" on the fit as the OEM ones, just that with either of them the installer makes a BIG difference. And maybe a somewhat larger difference with an aftermarket one. Done right it's not a cheap mod, but it really changes the look of the car for the better IMO--it makes the early G's look much more consistent with Lamborghini's more recent styling direction and therefore newer. And heck how many cars have you seen that someone has dumped $10k or more in for mods and the car itself wouldn't bring $20k. People have spent a lot more to a lot less effect IMO.

Absolutely agree with you. Its a spot on comment. I think my car will look fantastic when finished, and because the RSC Bumper is Polyurethane, the shop can make it work. It is a quality product, but it is aftermarket, so you have to work it to get everything just right, so your car still looks like a supercar at the end of the process.

Guest StuartRSC

Hi Guys,

Wanted to share an email from a customer that landed in my inbox yesterday because I think it describes things perfectly with a nice analogy (thanks for your permission!), as well as some photos of well installed bumpers. We're working on an install guide for you guys, but I think we are potentially considering creating a prefferred installer network for this product. Some shops are able to do an excellent job of installation in a 10-14 hour window, depending upon blending or not. With a handbuilt car like this, the unfortunate truth is that not every run of the mill body shop is going to be able to handle this kind of work and get the same quality of install.

i saw the few threads creating on lambopower about fitment issues, quality issues about the RSC products. i completely agree with and understand your insights from the responses on the forums.... i also know that all the customers who "claim" poor quality in the products are obviously unaware of how 30-40% of the final product is in the hands of the body shop/technician. it's like a suit... no matter HOW great the quality of the suit, it'll still take a good tailor to make it fit just RIGHT on you! even lambo newport beach (and grant and his team) said the RSC parts (specially the bumper) on my car was one of the best installs they've seen: good even spacing in fenders lines, hood line, no waves in the bumper, proper urethane prepping, clean mask lines, good hardware usage, etc.

Good Installs:

250433_10150627812450548_683270547_18802327_8064070_n.jpg

250877_10150627812650548_683270547_18802331_2806850_n.jpg

DSC_1110PS-1.jpg

DSC_1132PS-1.jpg

IMG_7079-1.jpg

IMG_8813-1.jpg

LP560BumperBlue.jpg

LP560BumperOrange2.jpg

LP560BumperOrange.jpg

RSCAUSSIEGALLARDO3-1.jpg

And an example of one that's not very good (sorry Miguel!). The hood needs adjustment, as to the shims and probably the center support piece to get the gap tighter. I actually went and took a look at this car and the side mounting points were cranked up so tight without enough shimming that the bumper was actually contacting the light and the quarter panel right at the corner. You could see where the paint was coming off. In this case, the fitter appeared to have thrown it on and cinched the sides up super-tight, where they actually needed more spacing and tighter adjustment in the center.

BADBUMPER.jpg

There is a guy in England, I think his username is Caleum Blue, who installed it himself with no gaps or problems.

Guest StuartRSC
There is a guy in England, I think his username is Caleum Blue, who installed it himself with no gaps or problems.

His car is one of the photos I posted above, the one in front of the glass building, and yes, he did the install himself.

I am currently putting on an RSC 560 Bumper on my 08 SL.

It is a substantial molding that you receive from RSC and its Polyurethane, so the body shop can work with it.

However it is by no means 'Plug & Play'..

The shop (Lamborghini approved) has spent 2 full days trimming, building up where necessary, filing, getting gaps, lines and thicknesses perfect where necessary. It also does not line up all the pre-drilled holes exactly, so most holes have to be slotted to get the screws to locate.

The centre air slot is also not pre-cut, so that has to be done as well.

It will look perfect when finished - but it will take at least 5 full days of work until I can drive the car away.

Be prepared to spend good money on a quality fitment and finish, anybody that tells you otherwise isn't prepared to produce a 'Factory Finished' piece of work, on their Front Bumper

OK - got the car back yesterday, she looks fantastic... Posting a couple of pics now, and will do some more at the weekend. Just to be succinct, we got everything to fit just perfect, and the paint match once blended is 100% Took time and effort, but it was worth it.

Also posted pic of new Steering Wheel from Macarbon, and Mats from Andrew. Thanks RSC for the Bumper, its changed the whole look of the car...

Shop_Front.JPG

Shop_Lambo_Front.JPG

Shop_Nearside.JPG

Shop_Vent.JPG

Shop_Old___New.JPG

Carbon__Alcantara___Leather_Drivers_Side.JPG