I test drove the FF on Friday

capt_chaos

Merged the two threads - Raginbulls excellent writeup is post #4

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...st&p=951416

So I saw a few of them yesterday and in all honesty I was surprised in it.

Previously I thought it was a hideous dog. In person I have to admit my opinion has softened; still not pretty but I can appreciate it a bit more. Yes it is a caricature of a M Coupe but parked next to Maserati Granturismo it is also a caricature of that which is no bad thing. The design is very colour centric, Black is nice, dog cock red is a huge no no.

I missed the chance for a ride in one - in all honesty was a poor show - but four people were raving about the ride comfort and performance - one of them my friend who is the salesman.

I was told I could fit in the back, nearly, the head room in the back is a little bit less than the 458 drivers seat! No way could the driver seat come back though and if you are in the back pray Verne Troyer is driving. So the back is useless.

But here is the real problem with the car. It like all of the modern Ferrari shares a lot components with the other cars in the range, sure the 458 has some different buttons and the layout is different but their is a consistent theme running through the models - yes Lambo have this trait but the FF shares a interior with a California which costs a lot less than the FF. Looking at the finance options is also where it really is shocking and pulls in the above point. There was the red version that was highly specced and it was coming out at £253k! The final payment listed in the finance option was for £110k. So your final balloon payment for a car that is a California with a luggage bench (the rear seats) and a slightly bigger boot is equal to what its market value will be at the time of the balloon payment. Galling.

One person did say a 3-5 year old black one at £140k though is an interesting proposition.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From some angles the FF looks ok...from other angles...not so good.

IMG_6943.jpg

Agreed, in person it does look a lot better but still not good enough to justify even half the sticker price.

I test drove the FF on Friday. I currently drive my Ferrari 612 a lot. I love that car. It fits perfectly as a fun car I can also take the family in. So, I had a meeting in a town about 5-10 miles from the Ferrari dealership get delayed. I called up and decided to check out the FF.

First off, like the 612, the FF has more presence in person because it is much bigger than pictures show. I did not like the 612 in photos, then when I saw it in person I loved it.

The demo car was silver and for my money, it was an eyesore. The car my dealer had in mind for me was a black one. That black was much, much better looking. It has a slight evilness to it. At least from the front. I sitll prefer the looks of the 612, but the FF is about more technology, bigger seating, 4 wheel drive, and more storage. The Italian Supercar that pushes closer to practical then any that have come before. Time to take it out for a spin.

The interior, as Ferrari tradition, is much nicer than any other sporty car. Just down right amazing.

Taking off, immediately the comfort and speed are shocking. In automatic mode it feels like a true automatic. Like the 458, no feel from gear changes at all. Whereas I hated the 458 for the lack of feel, it works for the family Ferrari. I can feel the 4WD grip which was nice. Lamborghini 4WD stays exciting by the drama in the shifting and the brutness of the overall car, the Lambo 4WD feels like it is the only thing saving you from certain death. In the Ferrari it made it feel more tight and refined. A very refined car is a good description. This dual clutch, like the 458, feels like an automatic. I mean, you feel NOTHING when shifting.

As others have said, the FF needs to be driven to be appreciated. It is brilliant and a step up in comfort, speed, luxury and science. It's just no where near as much fun. The 612's real wheel drive and single clutch shifts are more exciting. The FF is better in every way, other then the feeling I get from driving it. It literally feels like the perfect car for my wife. She likes speed, great coachwork, fits the kids and the groceries and its easy to drive. It is very video game like. You do not feel the shifts, it is fast as hell and the ride is like sitting on your couch watching it happen on a screen. Insanely good car. But, not for me. Again, I am the guy who likes that the Aventador has a single clutch and I can really feel the shifts. And for the same reasons I did not like the 458 at all, I do not love the FF. But, I like the FF much more than the 458 and I am considering it for my wife. I will continue to drive the 612, which has the perfect blend of comfort for the family, and gear change feel for me to not get bored. The feel of the shifts is a big part of the art for me in modern supercars. The FF feels like an automatic. No different then a really amazing Mercedes would. It still steers like a Ferrari, has speed beyond my needs, but they have adopted a style of seemless shifting. People say punchy shifts can be programmed in to the dual clutch cars, but even in race car mode the 458 and FF are still tame and friendly. It sounds like it makes sense that it could be done, but I still haven't experienced anyone pulling it off. If it drove just like this in comfort and then got a little more Aventadorish in race mode, the 458 would be amazing. For me, driving an exotic sports car with seemless shifting is like having sex with 3 condoms on. Why would you ever want that? The FF is awesome if you want the trip ready, speed, coachwork, comfort, and space. Practical Ferrari it is! Which is why the FF makes sense to me more then the 458.

A very smart, well engineered, get technology, extrememly fast, extremely comfortable, family ready super car. I will update after I take my wife to try it out. Maybe we will leave with it. I liked it enough for her to take her to check it out. More to come...

Nice write up. So, can you feel the shifts when you drive it? Does the dsg feel like an automatic tranny?

I test drove one too a couple weeks ago. Weird looking car but the power is shocking as RaginBull stated. The suspension is trick too. It has a dampener for bumpy bits that is amazing. Interior is beautiful. Actually have nothing negative to say about it if you can get past its looks.

Nice write up. So, can you feel the shifts when you drive it? Does the dsg feel like an automatic tranny?

You cannot feel the shifts at all. It literally feels like an automatic. Scientifically amazing. Not a sporty ride outside of the insane speed and great turning and grip. I guess the best way to say it is; it is a great sports car, it just feels more like a great German luxury sports car, not a mad Italian one. If you can get over that, it will beat any German sporty 4-seater easily, and feel in line with them, only better in every way (other than looks).

I test drove one too a couple weeks ago. Weird looking car but the power is shocking as RaginBull stated. The suspension is trick too. It has a dampener for bumpy bits that is amazing. Interior is beautiful. Actually have nothing negative to say about it if you can get past its looks.

Yeah, it is really amazing! I did not like the looks in person all that much. Black with the cool wheels (what ever they were called) was much better than the silver demo car. The black made it acceptable, but it really is an ugly car. But looks aside, it is one of the best cars out there if you're in to the modern improvements.

The drive is unreal. If I wanted to take the family on a trip across the USA, this would be the best car. It is amazing in every way. Not as much feel as I like, but this is the new Ferrari way. I cannot fault them, most people probably like seamless shifting. I cannot foresee myself buying a 2-seater Ferrari again for a long time with this style of shifting. I hope Lamborghini doesn't go "vibeless shifting" on the G replacement.

It is funny that (Italian owned) Ferrari feels more like the German cars now and Lamborghini (now owned by Germans) feels more true to the Italian traditions.

For 4-seater cars this kind of shifting makes a lot more sense to me then it does in 2-seaters.

Merged the two FF threads from today - hopefully the forum is still alive!

I should have just added my review to the one you started. Thanks!

Can your kids fit in the back?

I have one, but sometimes we have my wife's sister's child too. My son fits fine with the Recaro baby seat in the 612 and supposedly the FF has even more room. I did not pay much attention, since I know the 612 works and the FF is roomier according to the literature.

Interesting, they had a 612 there and I did not go and look at it but in the FF the rear legroom was the length of a mosquito's penis.

But as mentioned above people were strongly raving about its performance and smooth driving characteristics.

:icon_mrgreen:

You cannot feel the shifts at all. It literally feels like an automatic. Scientifically amazing. Not a sporty ride outside of the insane speed and great turning and grip. I guess the best way to say it is; it is a great sports car, it just feels more like a great German luxury sports car, not a mad Italian one. If you can get over that, it will beat any German sporty 4-seater easily, and feel in line with them, only better in every way (other than looks).

Yeah, it is really amazing! I did not like the looks in person all that much. Black with the cool wheels (what ever they were called) was much better than the silver demo car. The black made it acceptable, but it really is an ugly car. But looks aside, it is one of the best cars out there if you're in to the modern improvements.

The drive is unreal. If I wanted to take the family on a trip across the USA, this would be the best car. It is amazing in every way. Not as much feel as I like, but this is the new Ferrari way. I cannot fault them, most people probably like seamless shifting. I cannot foresee myself buying a 2-seater Ferrari again for a long time with this style of shifting. I hope Lamborghini doesn't go "vibeless shifting" on the G replacement.

It is funny that (Italian owned) Ferrari feels more like the German cars now and Lamborghini (now owned by Germans) feels more true to the Italian traditions.

For 4-seater cars this kind of shifting makes a lot more sense to me then it does in 2-seaters.

The car is impressive. I think for Ferrari however it's more of a double rather than a homerun, based on the polarizing looks and the hefty pricetag. The acceleration though is really something else, and even the brakes were incredible as I got on the binders hard a few times. The technology in the car is lengthy. Unfortunately the looks are weird and although better in person the design is bad and bland which isn't a good combination for such an expensive car.

I test drove one in late March. Basically agreed with Porter's comment. Something to add:

-- the option lists can add up very quickly & $$$ and 99% of them are for aesthetics only & do nothing for performance

-- despite the power, with the trick hardware, electronics et al, the car feels slightly on the heavy side; and yes, it IS a big car

-- fit & finish can be better at this price level

-- can't get over the "seatbelt butler" is identical to that of a BMW 3-series coupe

-- still looks like a stretched BMW M-coupe with a big wide evil grin

Porter And VCR,

What is out there that you like better in the 2-door, 4-seat high end sport / luxury market?

I agree with a lot of what you said. It is overpriced. But there are deals to be had since they are having trouble moving them.

Porter And VCR,

What is out there that you like better in the 2-door, 4-seat high end sport / luxury market?

I agree with a lot of what you said. It is overpriced. But there are deals to be had since they are having trouble moving them.

Well I bought a 2012 Maserati GTS last month. Not the fastest car around but loved the looks and the exhaust note was fantastic. I wanted a gentleman's cruiser and after 2 Bentley CGTs, I'd had enough of the fuel-ups every couple days. I actually discussed this in another thread with VBOXKING, and was cross-shopping the DBS with the Mas GTS. The DBS is such fantastic value now I certainly will own one, however I had the chance to buy the GTS right and jumped at it. Plus I wanted new.

I think after those 3 vehicles I mentioned above, there's not too much else with 2 doors and 4 seats unless you look at Porsche or Jaguar, and I'm not touching another Jag after two shitheap XKRs.

Well I bought a 2012 Maserati GTS last month. Not the fastest car around but loved the looks and the exhaust note was fantastic.

They are beautiful cars! I take it you're happy with it?

Porter And VCR,

Don't get me wrong, it IS a nice car and the way it redefines the genre should be commended. However, having a 2+2 is not my current priority and within that price range, there are plenty of choices out there (for me anyway). I agree that nothing may look (that could be a "plus" and/or a "minus") or perform like it (subjectively speaking) but its overall score in my personal ranking just doesn't justify the purchase. Glad to know you are enjoying yours and my sincere congratulations to you; absolutely nothing wrong with that acquisition. I am just on different priority and parameters and hence an alternate choice.

Don't get me wrong, it IS a nice car and the way it redefines the genre should be commended. However, having a 2+2 is not my current priority and within that price range, there are plenty of choices out there (for me anyway). I agree that nothing may look (that could be a "plus" and/or a "minus") or perform like it (subjectively speaking) but its overall score in my personal ranking just doesn't justify the purchase. Glad to know you are enjoying yours and my sincere congratulations to you; absolutely nothing wrong with that acquisition. I am just on different priority and parameters and hence an alternate choice.

It's all good Brother! I don't even own an FF. I just looked at it as a replacement to my 612, but found I like the 612 better. I was thinking about the FF for my wife after testing it. I was not trying to be rude. I was wondering if there is anything else in that segment that you guys like better. If so, I'd check it out!

It's all good Brother! I don't even own an FF. I just looked at it as a replacement to my 612, but found I like the 612 better. I was thinking about the FF for my wife after testing it. I was not trying to be rude. I was wondering if there is anything else in that segment that you guys like better. If so, I'd check it out!

LOL, I guess I read too fast when you said "I have one..." on your earlier post! :P

Like you said, it's all goodl! :D Have you considered the Bentley Super Sport with rear seats? Phantom coupe perhaps? I wouldn't mind trying out the Bentley CGT V8 when it arrives. IMO, the styling on the V8 is better than the original W12 and, hopefully, it'll be less thirsty too. Yes, it's quite different from the FF but the targeted audience is probably very close.

And on a related note, I still think Lamborghini should build the Estoque instead of the Urus.

LOL, I guess I read too fast when you said "I have one..." on your earlier post! :P

Like you said, it's all goodl! :D Have you considered the Bentley Super Sport with rear seats? Phantom coupe perhaps? I wouldn't mind trying out the Bentley CGT V8 when it arrives. IMO, the styling on the V8 is better than the original W12 and, hopefully, it'll be less thirsty too. Yes, it's quite different from the FF but the targeted audience is probably very close.

And on a related note, I still think Lamborghini should build the Estoque instead of the Urus.

Phantom coupe is amazing and I think it either got a refresh this year or is getting one next year. I got my Dad a Ghost and he loves it. The RR's are probably too polite for me. The Bentley sounds interesting...

I 1000% Agree that Lamborghini should make the Estoque. I would buy it the moment production is announced. I cannot guarantee that about the Urus. My dealer says the SUV is already approved and underway.

Cheers! I will look at Bentleys. Thanks!!

I really don't get the FF. The Panamera or the Bentley CGT have better AWD systems, better priced, and just as comfortable. Pan. Turbo for me = perfect DD if you live in snowy climate. Plus the backseat is super comfortable. Another interesting car is the Aston Rapide. Pricier than the Panamera but better looking.

The FF looks pretty good in black. Went to the FF premier at Ferrari of Seattle, looks better in person in the right color. Did you try race mode? Heard the 2012 458's in race mode have a more aggressive shift feel, than previous years. Ferrari changed this due to all the complaints of the no feel shifts.

Well I bought a 2012 Maserati GTS last month. Not the fastest car around but loved the looks and the exhaust note was fantastic. I wanted a gentleman's cruiser and after 2 Bentley CGTs, I'd had enough of the fuel-ups every couple days. I actually discussed this in another thread with VBOXKING, and was cross-shopping the DBS with the Mas GTS. The DBS is such fantastic value now I certainly will own one, however I had the chance to buy the GTS right and jumped at it. Plus I wanted new.

I think after those 3 vehicles I mentioned above, there's not too much else with 2 doors and 4 seats unless you look at Porsche or Jaguar, and I'm not touching another Jag after two shitheap XKRs.

When my wife tires of her CLK63 Cab, we are moving up to the DBS Volante. Just a gorgeous car. The GTS is nice, just prefer the looks of the AM. Congrats on your new car.

If Mercedes ever makes the 63 Wagon in AWD, would be a very good value compared to the FF. Or if Audi ever decides to import the RS6 Avant.