Once and for all...

Roman

what is the engine cover on the late model cars made of? It has a cross stitch in the material, almost like cf... Its light... And it closes with a weird clanky sound... Ive heard kevlar... What is it?

Same as front bonnet?

kevlar... that was the new hot shit space material back then.... todays carbon fiber. You can see it on the underside.

Main thing: In bullet-proof vests, one use kevlar because the treads will not be ripped in two, and as such stop the bullet. Carbon pieces will under enough stress break in pieces, but made of kevlar, or with kevlar baked inn in strategic places as has been common for a long time, the kevlar strands will keep the broken pieces together, and not let the part brake like glass.

So rest of the body is hand pounded aluminum? And I've heard LEAD used as a bonding agent?

What are the frame tubes made of? Steel?

So rest of the body is hand pounded aluminum? And I've heard LEAD used as a bonding agent?

I imagine 4130 chromoly steel thats what motorcycle frames of that era used, also race cars that had steel tube frames.

The remaining part of the panels are aluminium made, the panels are fixed with a lot of copper nails.

The frame tubes should be Cr-Mo hi strenght steel. The whole car is built like a sixties-seventies race car: steel tubes frame, steel suspensions race type design, hand pounded aluminium nailed for body panels, cast aluminium for gearbox and engine.

LP400 had a lighter magnesium-aluminium alloy for portamozzi (where the wheel is fixed) gearbox, engine and wheels (all Campagnolo wheels, also the 400 S ones). OZ Wheels are aluminium made.

This is what i know, may be somebody can add something else.

ciao

Body is aluminum, with the exception of the roof which is carbon steel and the already mentioned Kevlar covers on the QV cars.

Frame is steel tubing and the floor panels are fiberglass. Never heard of lead being used, just rivets and lots of bondo.

Body is aluminum, with the exception of the roof which is carbon steel and the already mentioned Kevlar covers on the QV cars.

Frame is steel tubing and the floor panels are fiberglass. Never heard of lead being used, just rivets and lots of bondo.

Steel tubing aluminum and rivets, I always knew the thing was part airplane.

That's true, floor panel are fiberglass.

I did not know roof was steel made, thanks

ciao

One of the best Countach books that I have ever laid eyes on (and FINALLY got a copy), is Jean-Marc Borrel's book. He goes through step-by-step (with photo's) of how the body is assembled and painted. It was quite the process!!!!! The paint process was VERY interesting!!!

Here is an except from the "The Chassis":

" The Countach chassis is made at the Marchesi factory in Modena. When it is being built it is made up of six subsets which are later assembled in a jig. No less than 110 meters of tubing of all dimensions and 140 hours are required for its construction. The chassis is firstly washed in a phosphoric acid to remove any trace of oil or grease. It is then painted black with an anti-rust zinc-based paint on which it is possible to weld".

http://www.amazon.com/Lamborghini-Countach...l/dp/2903652015

Mike

Cant say which book, but read that the entire chassis only weighed 180lbs!!! The whole thing is made

like a sixties Can-Am race car. Sounds a little like one also.

Cant say which book, but read that the entire chassis only weighed 180lbs!!! The whole thing is made

like a sixties Can-Am race car. Sounds a little like one also.

i often moved the car in the box by my hands when it had the engine out for service: it almost had no weight, the body was very very light. I think the engine weights more than the rest of the car...