Double din unit for Murcielago stereo

Camel Toe Juice

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The double din casing is a bit pricey for the Murcielago, has anyone found any cheaper alternatives?

Good luck, I had this same problem, until I fabricated my own. Even if you get the factory one, do you have ANY clue how damn impossible its going to be, to get at those 3 bolts at the top? to install it? It looks as if the dash has to come off, just to bolt that piece to the back side of it.

I'd show what I did, but I am afraid I'd be ridiculed for it, but it works, I've got a kenwood double din dnx9990 in there.

I also installed 2 mini amps, and installed 4 speakers behind the seats, along with the front door 6 1/2s. I am only missing a sub install, which I wired, but need someone to make me a custom enclosure.

I'm excited to get the project done, it was a complete PAIN IN THE ASS. But excited that its almost done.

Jon

The double din casing is a bit pricey for the Murcielago, has anyone found any cheaper alternatives?

Your Cover was sent today.....

You could just cut the stock surround to fit a double DIN. Just make sure the measurements are on before cutting.

Nick

You really can't. Sure you could cut the opening, but a single din is actually WIDER then a double din, so you WILL have and odd little 'gap' towards the top section of the double din opening, where the larger single din used to be. But even doing that, you are still in a world of hurt trying to SUPPORT the double din unit inside the dash. There is absolutely nothing there, the opening you made to get a double din in, eliminated the framing used for the single din. its basically like a 'drop off' of a cliff, there is a big chasm right behind the faceplate of the stock stereo.

I am guessing you haven't double din'ed your pre-lp640 murci, as anyone who has attempted this will know exactly what I am talking about. The original poster does know, because he realizes he needs a new 'surround' that you have to bolt in above the A/C controls, and just below the a/c vents, that provides 'support' for a double din, vs what we got from the factory on the pre-lp640s. (The piece he speaks of comes from an lp 640's factory double din setup.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Good to know, thanks for the clarification.

I have a flip out screen (does a great job of covering the HVAC), but have been thinking of upgrading to double din.

Nick

Good to know, thanks for the clarification.

I have a flip out screen (does a great job of covering the HVAC), but have been thinking of upgrading to double din.

Nick

Yeah, after I got myself into this mess, I wished I had just done a single din pop out. Trust me, the nightmare (if you do it yourself) isn't worth the moderate advantage of a full screen permanently placed in the dash. Do I prefer it over the pop out? definitely, was it worth the work? uh.. no. lol.

GL.

Jon

• 2 months later...
Good luck, I had this same problem, until I fabricated my own. Even if you get the factory one, do you have ANY clue how damn impossible its going to be, to get at those 3 bolts at the top? to install it? It looks as if the dash has to come off, just to bolt that piece to the back side of it.

I'd show what I did, but I am afraid I'd be ridiculed for it, but it works, I've got a kenwood double din dnx9990 in there.

I also installed 2 mini amps, and installed 4 speakers behind the seats, along with the front door 6 1/2s. I am only missing a sub install, which I wired, but need someone to make me a custom enclosure.

I'm excited to get the project done, it was a complete PAIN IN THE ASS. But excited that its almost done.

Jon

Jon,

I would sure appreciate some notes / photos of how you fitted your Kenwood Double Din unit. I am looking the fit the very same dnx9990HD and really don't fancy the extra work of getting the dash out just to replace the existing single din mount with the later model LP640 double Din unit I think the part number is 410861941D.

Pony up for the factory cage, don't bodge it. It's a Lamborghini, not some domestic shitter. Then buy the MA Carbon facia. See below.

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...p;hl=double+din

Thats the way I am thinking at the moment and I have been talking with John from Macarbon to get the double din carbon facia made. The real issue I have and why I have asked for alternative cage options now is I have been unable to confirm the correct part number and availability of the lp640 double din cage from Eurospares Scuderia or the USlambostuff suppliers. I sent a few emails off and now wondering if these suppliers are even able to help given this is probably not a mainstream item and only ever fitted in the factory.

Pony up for the factory cage, don't bodge it. It's a Lamborghini, not some domestic shitter. Then buy the MA Carbon facia. See below.

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...p;hl=double+din

Great, since you did that.... You did right?? Why dont you furnish him with the partnumber you used, and what it actually took to remove the original one, and install the later factory lp640 one.

Mine was certainly not easy to create, but I'd put it up against the factory lp640 one any day of the week. The lp640 solution is hopefully a lot EASIER to implement. Please furnish details.

I have made a little progress now I received a reply from one of the parts suppliers (LamboStff). They poinited out this part number 410035905A, which appears to be the Kenwood mounting cage. Actually I have looked at similar mounting cages which come with the various multi-media units, so I wonder if Lamborghini even produced this part and simply modified fhe AC/Radio assempbly (unit with the AC buttons and LCD screen) to allow its proper attachment? Again I would only be able to determine this if someone has actually replaced the original single DIN mounting from the 2003 Murcielago with the later 2008 LP640 double DIN unit and has the parts list they used. Otherwise it might be an expensive exercise to order parts only to find out I could have mounted the double DIN cage made for the Kenwood say dnx9990hd to the underside of the existing AC/radio control assembly.

On a slightly different note I have been looking at the latest Android double DIN multimedia units which offer so much more than the products from Kennwood, Pioneer etc. This latest technology offers wifi / 3G and the ablilty to run pretty much any Andriod app along witht the normal stereo, bluetooth phone/ipod. I must admit the screen quality and speed of processing are quite impressive. Has anyone in the group fitted one of these Andriod based units yet?

I have made a little progress now I received a reply from one of the parts suppliers (LamboStff). They poinited out this part number 410035905A, which appears to be the Kenwood mounting cage. Actually I have looked at similar mounting cages which come with the various multi-media units, so I wonder if Lamborghini even produced this part and simply modified fhe AC/Radio assempbly (unit with the AC buttons and LCD screen) to allow its proper attachment? Again I would only be able to determine this if someone has actually replaced the original single DIN mounting from the 2003 Murcielago with the later 2008 LP640 double DIN unit and has the parts list they used. Otherwise it might be an expensive exercise to order parts only to find out I could have mounted the double DIN cage made for the Kenwood say dnx9990hd to the underside of the existing AC/radio control assembly.

On a slightly different note I have been looking at the latest Android double DIN multimedia units which offer so much more than the products from Kennwood, Pioneer etc. This latest technology offers wifi / 3G and the ablilty to run pretty much any Andriod app along witht the normal stereo, bluetooth phone/ipod. I must admit the screen quality and speed of processing are quite impressive. Has anyone in the group fitted one of these Andriod based units yet?

I am telling you, that Kenwood does NOT provide the part you need. That part they are talking about is a $10 part at most direct from keywood, its just the casing that goes around the stereo to allow it to be slid in and out of the center hole. The part you want does not attach beneigh the AC controls it attaches ABOVE IT. Which is what makes the whole thing a REAL bitch. Again, anyone talking big about 'what you need to do is...' needs to fuckin back it up with an exact explanation and preferably pictures, instead of acting like its sooooo easy. I did mine, but mine is custom, I made the necessary parts. And its not so 'easy, just buy this'

So lets see the explanation/photos from someone who has a double din in their 'regular' murci that used the LP640 bracket. I did not use the lp640 bracket, becuase when I did my research and took my a/c controls out and factory radio, I saw what a REAL bitch it was, even if I DID have the part.

I am telling you, that Kenwood does NOT provide the part you need. That part they are talking about is a $10 part at most direct from keywood, its just the casing that goes around the stereo to allow it to be slid in and out of the center hole. The part you want does not attach beneigh the AC controls it attaches ABOVE IT. Which is what makes the whole thing a REAL bitch. Again, anyone talking big about 'what you need to do is...' needs to fuckin back it up with an exact explanation and preferably pictures, instead of acting like its sooooo easy. I did mine, but mine is custom, I made the necessary parts. And its not so 'easy, just buy this'

So lets see the explanation/photos from someone who has a double din in their 'regular' murci that used the LP640 bracket. I did not use the lp640 bracket, becuase when I did my research and took my a/c controls out and factory radio, I saw what a REAL bitch it was, even if I DID have the part.

Jon,

Thank you for clarifying the mounting arrangement. As I suspected it would have to come from the three securing bolts at the top of the AC/Radio Assembly. So I guess its time to take my dash out rather than stuff arround trying to guess this any further. I spoke with the Lamborghini spare parts supplier in the US (lambostff) and they informed me they have never ordered the AC/Radio assembly before, hence their suggestion I look at the section of the parts catalogue on the HiFi system. But as you rightly poiinted out this only shows the guiding cage which needs to be properly secured from the top. So looks like I will have to pioneer this modification if I want to use factory parts. I think I will contact my local Lamborghini dealer and see if they can at least get some definitive information from the factory on the part numbers I have so far. Either way this is going to be a bitch of a job. Meanwhile I can only hope someone who acrually retrofitted the factory LP640 Double DIN comes forward and can provide soem photos and the part numbers they ordered.

Cheers

There are 3 mounting screws above the climate controls. Lamborghini does sell the cage as when I had an 03 Murci I did the conversion.. It can be done without taking the dash off but you will need a mirror and some patience. It took me some time to get it done but I was able to get my hand in the opening and unscrew the old cage. It will also take a little massaging to get the new cage in..

There are 3 mounting screws above the climate controls. Lamborghini does sell the cage as when I had an 03 Murci I did the conversion.. It can be done without taking the dash off but you will need a mirror and some patience. It took me some time to get it done but I was able to get my hand in the opening and unscrew the old cage. It will also take a little massaging to get the new cage in..

Thank you for the confirmation of the process. I dont suppose you have the part number of the cage you fitted and was there more than one part involved in the conversion? The part numbers would really help me out. Even better if you could post some photos taken during the cage fitment?

Well folks after an extensive search online, including contacting all the major independent Lamborghini parts suppliers I know in the US and Europe, the indicators are the parts to convert a Lamborghini 2003 single to Double DIN arrangement, as found in the 2008 LP640, are not identifiable. Whilst some suppliers pointed to the part numbers I listed in a previous post none would commit to these being correct and also indicated to me they had never received orders in the past for them. Which is why they were unsure what would arrive from Lamborghini.

My guess is people who have discussed installing a double DIN in their Murcielago 2003, have either done it the hard way and manufacturered their own solution or paid a professional car stereo place who have done the same. The only part which is easily identifiable is the Double DIN front facia and this does not secure the Radio unit. It is purely cosmetic.

I will most likely have to go down the path of removing the AC/Radio assembly and make my own cage which secures via the 3 top mount screws. I would have preferred to use the factory components but I cannot accurately identify the correct part numbers to place an order.

I will try and make some good notes on the process and take photos sharing this in a few months when I finish.

Well folks after an extensive search online, including contacting all the major independent Lamborghini parts suppliers I know in the US and Europe, the indicators are the parts to convert a Lamborghini 2003 single to Double DIN arrangement, as found in the 2008 LP640, are not identifiable. Whilst some suppliers pointed to the part numbers I listed in a previous post none would commit to these being correct and also indicated to me they had never received orders in the past for them. Which is why they were unsure what would arrive from Lamborghini.

My guess is people who have discussed installing a double DIN in their Murcielago 2003, have either done it the hard way and manufacturered their own solution or paid a professional car stereo place who have done the same. The only part which is easily identifiable is the Double DIN front facia and this does not secure the Radio unit. It is purely cosmetic.

I will most likely have to go down the path of removing the AC/Radio assembly and make my own cage which secures via the 3 top mount screws. I would have preferred to use the factory components but I cannot accurately identify the correct part numbers to place an order.

I will try and make some good notes on the process and take photos sharing this in a few months when I finish.

Congratulations. You have arrived at the same conclusion I had about 3 months ago, and therefore made my own. Its not the end of the world, it just take patience and a bit of engineering mindset, and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Congratulations. You have arrived at the same conclusion I had about 3 months ago, and therefore made my own. Its not the end of the world, it just take patience and a bit of engineering mindset, and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Jon,

Thanks. Now the fun begins. What will probably do is combine the Kenwood slide in cage with my own metal frame to support it off the existing Ac/radio mounting point. I have the proper extraction tools now to get the exiting pioneer radio out and a good set of instructions for the trim parts. It wont be easy but I will take my time to get it right.

Jon,

Thanks. Now the fun begins. What will probably do is combine the Kenwood slide in cage with my own metal frame to support it off the existing Ac/radio mounting point. I have the proper extraction tools now to get the exiting pioneer radio out and a good set of instructions for the trim parts. It wont be easy but I will take my time to get it right.

Its like I'm talking to myself 3 months ago. Thats exactly what I did too. Thats how I was sure what everyone was point out, was just the slide in casing portion. By mounting THAT squarely in the hole (test fitting with the unit in it), you'll create your own Stereo frame, and then you too can install and remove your Double Din with ease (again after you kill yourself figureing out how to get it to mount in there.

Couple of hints, there are attachment screws on the right and left for various things, like the 'oh shit' handle' There is also a random 'grounding' wire nut bot in there too I think, and then there is a smaller nut/bolt setup for holding the side panel in place on the drivers side. I used them ALL as support points for the framing I came up with. And then when your all done framing everything in there, there is one final step, that sounds a little unorthodox, but it works.. like a champ. I'll leave that to PM. :) Most people wont agree with it. But when you realize your 'stuck' and cant get that final synching down to make sure its MOVE PROOF.. this will do it.

I assure you, my trick braces the headunit even better then the factory setup. :) But first, come up with all the bracing and securing you can think of and create, and once its done, I'll tell you my trick to finish it all off.

Jon

I started on my double DIN conversion today, removing the old stereo. Very easy to do, took about 10 mins, with the correct extraction tool. Actually my 2003 Murcielago had a single DIN upgrade about 18 months ago so I removed a Pioneer DEN-9355SD.

I decided to take a few photos from within the dashboard, looking out with the aid of a high intensity LED light source and my GoPro camera. The photo below is the best of the series and gives you a birds eye view of the various fixtures inside the dash inclduing the AC Control Assembly and the original single DIN Becker bracket. The AC Control Assembly is held in place with three bolts at the very top. Only one is visible in my photo, at the very top, but you can see how difficult it is to get to the bolts.

However looking at the photo you can see two bolts holding the orginal Becker metal single DIN surround below the AC Control Assembly. The significance of this is these modules are two independent assemblies. Also notice the stabilizing strap which attaches to the rear of the original stereo. So rather than taking out the AC Control assembly there are two easy to get to bolts which could be used to secure a new double din cage as long as you also reattach the rear metal strap. Of course this is not an ideal solution and you would need to determine how much the two bolts holding the Becker single Din metal frame, could support.

No doubt this may get some critical review. I still plan to explore getting everything out as it is far better to secure a new Double DIN frame from the 3 bolts holding the AC control unit. This is what Lamborghini did. They produced a new part.

However in the spirit of offering a cheaper Double DIN alternative, I hope my photo helps.

Its like I'm talking to myself 3 months ago. Thats exactly what I did too. Thats how I was sure what everyone was point out, was just the slide in casing portion. By mounting THAT squarely in the hole (test fitting with the unit in it), you'll create your own Stereo frame, and then you too can install and remove your Double Din with ease (again after you kill yourself figureing out how to get it to mount in there.

Couple of hints, there are attachment screws on the right and left for various things, like the 'oh shit' handle' There is also a random 'grounding' wire nut bot in there too I think, and then there is a smaller nut/bolt setup for holding the side panel in place on the drivers side. I used them ALL as support points for the framing I came up with. And then when your all done framing everything in there, there is one final step, that sounds a little unorthodox, but it works.. like a champ. I'll leave that to PM. :) Most people wont agree with it. But when you realize your 'stuck' and cant get that final synching down to make sure its MOVE PROOF.. this will do it.

I assure you, my trick braces the headunit even better then the factory setup. :) But first, come up with all the bracing and securing you can think of and create, and once its done, I'll tell you my trick to finish it all off.

Jon

Jon,

I sounds like we are on the same wavelength. After taking photos from the inside of the dash I can see all those securing point you describe. I want to achive a nice secure solution but be able to slide in the unit easily. I need this because I am thinking about a few different units now. Whilst the Kenwood DNX9990HD is nice, its made for North America market and I do not think I can load the Australian maps as the internal memory is locked and there is only a 4GB SD for map update. On the good news side there a many new Andriod based multi media head units available which have a nice 7" HD screen and I can choice from a few different GPS solutions, plus there is support for WiFi and 3G

Sorry I little off topic. I will take more of the console apart tomorrow. I still have not ordered the head unit yet and will make sure I get the matching cage. Thanks for the final tip offer, once i get close to the end I will PM you.