Maserati Quattroporte questions

Smash Boy

Forwarding on an email I got from a friend looking into them....thanks.

"Any Q owners care to discuss off-list the pros, cons, maintenance and cautions of ownership?

I've been browsing the MaseratiLife forums but would like to hear from some owners. Is it a car that an owner can perform some maintenance on? Oil changes, brake changes, and other minor consumables?

What model years, options, etc should be steered clear of, or at least carefully scrutinized? I know the '05 MY was problematic and that the 09 MY brought a platform change that seems to drive in other forum opinions worlds better.

I am looking at an '05 with 7K that has been well cared for but under driven (obviously). If i can get a price I'm comfortable with, it is a possibility this fall."

07 was the first year with the automatica transmission. Basic maintenance shouldn't be an issue. Getting the drive by wire computer update for $ will help with clutch life and driveability. Clutch life and other horror stories seem to be a myth and you can do fine if you drive them right. I think the responses you get will be typical of Range Rover type feedback.....love or hate. There are a few previous owners on here. I have always been interested in them but I wouldn't get anything before 07.

07 was the first year with the automatica transmission. Basic maintenance shouldn't be an issue. Getting the drive by wire computer update for $ will help with clutch life and driveability. Clutch life and other horror stories seem to be a myth and you can do fine if you drive them right. I think the responses you get will be typical of Range Rover type feedback.....love or hate. There are a few previous owners on here. I have always been interested in them but I wouldn't get anything before 07.

Defiently go with an 07 or newer Auto like Chipster mentioned.

A friend has an 05' with an auto-clutch and it is by far the worst transmission ive ever experienced in a car. Calling it anything less then terrible would be a compliment.

Defiently go with an 07 or newer Auto like Chipster mentioned.

A friend has an 05' with an auto-clutch and it is by far the worst transmission ive ever experienced in a car. Calling it anything less then terrible would be a compliment.

:iamwithstupid:

I don't have experience with the QP but I do with the Granturismo. I'd get the autobox, absolutely, especially in a QP. The F1 gearbox is jerky and annoying in a daily driver, the auto works flawlessly and is very nice and smooth.

I like the car overall but there are some cons too. The layout of controls sucks and the navigation is the worst I ever used (and I had the original one on the 1999 Diablo!). If your friend has any specific questions, message me...

:iamwithstupid:

I don't have experience with the QP but I do with the Granturismo. I'd get the autobox, absolutely, especially in a QP. The F1 gearbox is jerky and annoying in a daily driver, the auto works flawlessly and is very nice and smooth.

I agree as well.

Listen to this guy. :iamwithstupid:

DO NOT BUY A CAR WITH A DUO SELECT TRANSMISSION, PERIOD!!! If it isn't an automatic, it shifts like shit and you WILL do a clutch every 20k miles. The newer cars have the 8 speed ZF gear box that they are using in the Audi lineup, it is rock solid. The older ZF trans are nice too. Get an auto and an 09 (newer navigation) and you will likely love the car. 2005, wouldn't take it if someone gave it to me.

DO NOT BUY A CAR WITH A DUO SELECT TRANSMISSION, PERIOD!!! If it isn't an automatic, it shifts like shit and you WILL do a clutch every 20k miles. The newer cars have the 8 speed ZF gear box that they are using in the Audi lineup, it is rock solid. The older ZF trans are nice too. Get an auto and an 09 (newer navigation) and you will likely love the car. 2005, wouldn't take it if someone gave it to me.

good info! dind't knew about the the new 8 speed...do you know in wich year did they start using it? TIA