Engine lamp right catalyst error

Shunolago

Hi im getting the engine lamp on with right catalyst error when im pushing the car hard for 10-15 mins, a friend of mine hooked it up with autocom obd and get 2 error codes p1401 and p1405.

As i said this error only accur when im goin hard with the car, does anyone else know what may be the problem?

I googled the error codes but not getting any smarter.

IMG_0605.MOV

bild_5_.JPG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi im getting the engine lamp on with right catalyst error when im pushing the car hard for 10-15 mins, a friend of mine hooked it up with autocom obd and get 2 error codes p1401 and p1405.

As i said this error only accur when im goin hard with the car, does anyone else know what may be the problem?

I googled the error codes but not getting any smarter.

You are leaving out a little information :)

Do you have a stock exhaust? If not, what do you have? Do you have primary CAT deletes? Do you have secondary CAT deletes?

Had a similar problem, you have a bad Thermocouple.

P1405 Catalyst Overtemp 1st Level (Bank 2)

P1401 Catalyst Overtemp 1st Level (Bank 1)

Plus, check your catalyst immediately after a hard run (Pushing the car), check if they turn red.

You are leaving out a little information :)

Do you have a stock exhaust? If not, what do you have? Do you have primary CAT deletes? Do you have secondary CAT deletes?

Its all stock.

Had a similar problem, you have a bad Thermocouple.

P1405 Catalyst Overtemp 1st Level (Bank 2)

P1401 Catalyst Overtemp 1st Level (Bank 1)

Plus, check your catalyst immediately after a hard run (Pushing the car), check if they turn red.

What is a thermocouple ?

Its all stock.

What is a thermocouple ?

It's the sensor which measures your cats temperature. But check your cats first, see if they're REALLY getting hot after a hard run; if not, just change the thermocouple, clear the codes and you're good to go!

It's the sensor which measures your cats temperature. But check your cats first, see if they're REALLY getting hot after a hard run; if not, just change the thermocouple, clear the codes and you're good to go!

I just raced on the highway vs my friends m5 e60 and i got beaten pretty hard and the engine lamp turned on again when i stopped the car i took this picture.

Edit: Does this error reduce the cars performance?

murre.JPG

I just raced on the highway vs my friends m5 e60 and i got beaten pretty hard and the engine lamp turned on again when i stopped the car i took this picture.

Edit: Does this error reduce the cars performance?

Yes it does. That's what the dealer told me when I changed mine. Don't race the car any more at all until you fix the problem!

Do you see that thin metal hose? That's the thermocouple. Check your spark plugs and your O2's reading while you're there.

Oh my.. Are these your cats glowing?

It may look like that in the picture but it was only those sensors glowing had my friend with me who is mechanic and he said the same.

I have just made a big service got all the coilpacks (without) and all sparkplugs replaced aswell.

The car idle much better now and runs smoother.

Btw there is no Lambo dealer here in sweden so i wont be able to take it to a certified workshop.

Found the part here http://eurospares.co.uk/searchResult_one.a...=1&TB=26632

Yes that's the part. Talk to Glen, he'll get you a good deal on the Thermocouple.. I got mine from him. His E-mail is : [email protected]

I wouldn't use the car until this problem is fixed though!

Just wonder dont you think i should swap places with the one on the left side and see if i get the same error there? or are you really sure thats it?

I will send Glen a mail.

Thanks a lot for helping..

You have a miss fire or to much fuel. Its fuel is burning in the cat and its over heating, that thing is glowing dose the other side look the same? If it was a thermocouple (cat temp ecu) it would not do it only when driving hard.

If the cat is damaged and starts coming apart peaces can end up back up in the engine and can damages the cylinder walls and rings. I would not drive it until you know if cat is damaged and why its over heating the cat on that bank.

Just wonder dont you think i should swap places with the one on the left side and see if i get the same error there? or are you really sure thats it?

I will send Glen a mail.

Thanks a lot for helping..

I wouldn't swap anything yet. You gotta drop the car to a professional mechanic, don't run it anymore.. See what he'd say about the issue.

Like I said on my 1st reply, Check your cats if they're glowing/turning red then that's another problem.. Forget about the Thermocouple and search for a respected Lamborghini Mechanic.

You have to find why raw fuel is going through the engine. Now if you continue to use the car catalyst can get hot enough to melt. When I had the same symptoms as you (Minus the glowing cats) I had th CEL comes and goes same as you, car has no power also same and I had tons of raw fuel coming out of my exhaust splashing all over the place! Dealer took 15 minutes to solve the problem by changing 3 bad O2's and the Thermocouple, I told them what's up with the raw fuel? The tech told me that my car was running WAY rich. Find a nearby dealer/mechanic and let us know..

Best of luck!

I just called the dealer's mechanic regarding your problem, his words:

"It's got a misfire, thats what makes a cat glow hot, a glowing hot cat makes a pretty big restriction which can cause only a certain amount of exhaust to pass through, essentially backing up flow, when you back up flow it will limit the amount of RPM you can turn and you'll feel a very poor performance..

Sounds like a spark issue, so tell him to pull his plugs, check for spark... and look for signs of carbon tracking on his coil housing.. He likely needs a new set of coils and maybe a new plugs too since he might fouled them"

P.S.: I told him you have a new set of spark plugs.

I just called the dealer's mechanic regarding your problem, his words:

"It's got a misfire, thats what makes a cat glow hot, a glowing hot cat makes a pretty big restriction which can cause only a certain amount of exhaust to pass through, essentially backing up flow, when you back up flow it will limit the amount of RPM you can turn and you'll feel a very poor performance..

Sounds like a spark issue, so tell him to pull his plugs, check for spark... and look for signs of carbon tracking on his coil housing.. He likely needs a new set of coils and maybe a new plugs too since he might fouled them"

P.S.: I told him you have a new set of spark plugs.

It had misfires before i changed all the sparkplugs and coilpacks, there is no good lambo mech in sweden closest dealer i Denmark.

I will start with removing the cat and take a look inside and replace it if its damaged.

I will let you know when its done.

Replacing the sparkplugs again aint an option as i changed them alrdy 2 times in less than 2000 km.

It had misfires before i changed all the sparkplugs and coilpacks, there is no good lambo mech in sweden closest dealer i Denmark.

I will start with removing the cat and take a look inside and replace it if its damaged.

I will let you know when its done.

Replacing the sparkplugs again aint an option as i changed them alrdy 2 times in less than 2000 km.

Great. Think about going catless too! I read somewhere it's a $3000 per cat!! Going catless will give you a slight power and a little louder exhaust note since you have a stock exhaust :)

Great. Think about going catless too! I read somewhere it's a $3000 per cat!! Going catless will give you a slight power and a little louder exhaust note since you have a stock exhaust :)

Yes i will prob go catless., thanks for your support juggler85 its people like you making this forums the best :D

Yes i will prob go catless., thanks for your support juggler85 its people like you making this forums the best :D

Thanks for the kind words budd! Stay safe and good luck to you. Keep us posted..

Probably a dead cat. I had the same issue with my car, after any highway driving the cat light would come on.

If you have a dead thermocouple, it will set of the check engine light.

You ruined your CAT when you were having the missfire issue in the past. So while you fixed the issue, you didnt fix the byproduct. That cat glowing like that DURING THE DAY, is a dead give a way. If you REALLY want to see how bad it is, take that photo at night :) I'm sure the whole this is going to glow nice and red!

So you can do 1 of 3 things:

1. replace the cats with known good ones (You should buy used, you sure as hell dont want to buy new ones, yes I have a set, but I am giving you options that have nothing to do with me).

2. Replace the primary cats with a CAT delete, but the car is going to stink to high hell, people who say otherwise are in denail.

3. (And this MAY be the best option and has nothing to do with me). Replace your primaries with CAT deletes, but then get the US based secondary CATS, which are MUCH cheaper, but are identical quality to the primaries (we have 4 cats in US based cars). This way, your getting rid of the problem for a cheaper price (again, primary deletes and secondary add-on will be identical emissions setup, to just having the OEM primaries). I know that sounds crazy, but its the EXACT route I went with my car, and I love it.

If you dont drive your car much, then full CAT delete might be fine, but anytime I have done a FULL delete on my car, I have regretted it, from my GTR, to my Vipers, to my Murci. I went full catless and had to go back, I cant stand the smell.

Sadly, there is a slight chance you still damaged a thermocoupler though with those excessive temps, so even if you go catless, or replace the cats, or w/e, dont count out the fact that the thermocoupler may have gotten damage from the temps.

Hope that helps.

Jon

Thanks for all reply´s and advice, im prob goin catless if not im having racecats installed.

My friend been working with the car today and i have a question about my exhaust take a look at the picture.

Is this oem?

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG