Engine lamp right catalyst error

Shunolago

So how does the car sound with the the primary cats gutted? Is it significantly louder? Is there anyway you can take a video and post it?

The car sound louder and i love it, i will take a video for you when i get out to the car.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you essentially have no primary cats are you getting a permanent check engine light for the catalyst and the probe sensors? I am assuming since the non-existent cats never get up to proper temperature that the thermocouple sensors would also have to throw a code?

Thermocouples only go off if the cat temp reaches a certain point. They do not throw a code once they reach the minimum heat parameters.

Thanks that makes sense. But will have have cat CE light on?

you need an o2 spacer for the rear o2 sensors (measure efficiency) to avoid a CEL

Yes i had that installed got it from a company near that build race cars.

Congrats! Glad all is fixed Shunolago.. :D

Thanks Alpha, btw cant get the sound right when recording from my iphone its not really the same.

• 6 months later...

All this "cat" talk has got me remembering the CEL/CAT light I was gifted with toward the end of this past NJ summer. Initially that would only happen on hard runs through the mountains but then would appear periodically with highway driving. A necessary shift in priorities kept me from my '03 Marci these past few months but upon a maintenance start this past weekend and getting that sulphur smell I realize I have to get back to the issue of my primary cats (LOC exhaust which deletes the secondary cats) which I'm sure are shot. Can't get too upset the car has just over 65,000 well used miles.

Within the next 2 weeks I hope to get the opportunity to gut the primaries and if the sound is too rude will look to find used primaries or the Fab Speed Sport Cats for $2600 but hopefully less. https://www.fabspeed.com/lamborghini_murcielago.html

Has anyone experienced these Fab Speed options or as another person who has mentioned a cat company named Gesi? As with all Fab Speed products I'm sure the build quality is great but I'm trying to get an idea of the change in sound quality and levels versus the gutted primary cats I will soon have and the difference between a fully working stock primary.

Thanks gents and a happy and healthy New Year!!! -Robert

PS: And when I get the cats sorted out I will be ordering Nick's (Whiteout) coil kit. I'm certain that will make a great difference as I've already been impressed with the quality and artistry of his work on the trans cover I ordered from him for the 4 to 2 wheel drive conversion I did right before the cat problems surfaced this summer. PPS: I will never go back to 4wd. 2 is better in oh so many ways.

Robert,

The car is going to be MUCH louder with the cats gutted and LOC exhaust. I had SP test pipes and LOC exhaust, my start up was 103db, idle was 99db, and WOT was SUPER loud (mid 120's IIRC). You also have to get used to your throttle input to prevent mid-RPM drone. Overall, if you don't mind a loud car, it's great.

Jon deleted his primaries, then put his secondaries back in. IMO this is the way to do it. The primaries are such a pain to get to, swapping the secondaries in/out as you want to control the sound of the car is the way to go.

If your car is going to be down for a few days, you could take your primary pipes to a good fabrication shop and have them replace the dead cats with some resonators. It would help with the drone created by deleting primaries and lower the db a little.

Can't get too upset the car has just over 65,000 well used miles.

:icon_pray:

PS: And when I get the cats sorted out I will be ordering Nick's (Whiteout) coil kit. I'm certain that will make a great difference as I've already been impressed with the quality and artistry of his work on the trans cover I ordered from him for the 4 to 2 wheel drive conversion I did right before the cat problems surfaced this summer. PPS: I will never go back to 4wd. 2 is better in oh so many ways.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys not to rehash an old thread. I put the Larini secondary cat delets on my car and the quicksilver exhaust delete, and now when I drive, park the car then restart it warm the SEL comes on. I reset the light, drive for a bit and all is good until i shut the car off come out and restart it warm. You think its a backpressure thing or.....???