Diablo Refresh

Sudesh

Under the gear gate, there is a little sponge type washer, this deteriorates over time and mine was really bad, so bad that it fell apart when I tried to slide it off then just crumpled away, thankfully it done this while I got it off and not fell into the gear stalk unit.

SAM_0654_zps143a8207.jpg

Install the new washer, carefully lifting it over the edge of the reverse lock out.

SAM_0655_zps0fe96c2a.jpg

SAM_0656_zps9d507864.jpg

Hey presto! another simple little job done, all for a a few pence.

To back up a moment to page 5 of this thread, I was noticing this foam washer part and knew I didn't have anything like that. Have you seen this part or had any desire to adapt it? I only say this because this is what's in my car (that I need to replace whenever that area gets cracked open). It's sorta' sandwiched between blocks, so you can't just yank it out.

Shift_boot.JPG

Shifter_boot.JPG

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To back up a moment to page 5 of this thread, I was noticing this foam washer part and knew I didn't have anything like that. Have you seen this part or had any desire to adapt it? I only say this because this is what's in my car (that I need to replace whenever that area gets cracked open). It's sorta' sandwiched between blocks, so you can't just yank it out.

Shift_boot.JPG

Shifter_boot.JPG

From your pics, your setup looks different to mine. I don't recall seeing any rubber boot in there.

Ah, I see, so your '93 looks like the '91 under the surface with those other parts... *meh* just throwing around ideas.

Image3.png

Yip! Must have been a change to your design, Id say your design is slightly better for keeping dirt out.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a few pics of the old white lens compared to new,

SAM_0059_zpsadbde8d6.jpg

And a few pics of the car outside with the new lenses and dual reverse

SAM_0060_zps4598d97d.jpg

SAM_0061_zps9e7df5ad.jpg

SAM_0062_zps4790428b.jpg

I noticed some owners in various posts, talked about the high revs the car creates at initial start ups/from cold, first thing in the morning etc etc. Some have commented that it annoys the neighbors lol

Well when I purchased my car, Mike Pullen had stopped this high revving by plugging the 2 pipes, that run from the sides of the air boxes, to the electrical "additional air valve controller" It would seem this controller comes on when the car is cold and pulls air from the air intake to the manifold, which makes the car rev higher to get it to operating temperature quicker. Mike said he plugged a few of these for customers due to the fact the Diablo is loud on start up [more so with sports/straight system] and some UK owners [having close neighbors] thought it polite to tone it down slightly.

I myself live in the country, with no immediate neighbors close enough to annoy on star up lol, so thought I would add my own very simple setup as I wanted the freedom to choose how the car worked on start up.

So I purchased 2, 25MM shut off valves

SAM_0084_zps05692f1f.jpg

SAM_0085_zpscb12817a.jpg

Removed the old metal pipe thats in the intake box and pushed the shut valve in there and used epoxy to glue it tight.n The very simple put the pipe on the other end and thats it!

Valves open when the handle is inline so the car will rev high as per normal on startup

SAM_0083_zps2c9c7e93.jpg

SAM_0080_zpsedc0af3d.jpg

valve closed when handle is offset and the revvs drop and cars is quite on startup

SAM_0082_zps7c3963a7.jpg

SAM_0081_zpscb2d12da.jpg

Awesome write up some great reference info here , I,ll be back for a gander for sure . Thanks Sudesh

Thanks Rick! Ill be in touch about those other bits.

Edit: Double post.

I did a compression test the other week and I must have either done something to one of the wires or one my spark plugs is just sucking but it seems like I am getting a miss.

Did I miss you figuring out the issue that caused it to run rough?

Hi Chipster,,

No you didn't miss anything, I havent posted on that thread yet as I'm still not 100% finished there, car is still running a bit off, but not as bad since I installed the NEW OEM leads from Evans. I have one or two more tests to do myself on the issue, then after that I'll probable send the car to Mike Pullen to see what he thinks, although from talking to him a few times, he's a bit puzzled himself.

But the car now runs ok, doesn't hunt the revs as bad and will actually stay idling fine, before it would barley stay running.

Well when I purchased my car, Mike Pullen had stopped this high revving by plugging the 2 pipes, that run from the sides of the air boxes, to the electrical "additional air valve controller" It would seem this controller comes on when the car is cold and pulls air from the air intake to the manifold, which makes the car rev higher to get it to operating temperature quicker. Mike said he plugged a few of these for customers due to the fact the Diablo is loud on start up [more so with sports/straight system] and some UK owners [having close neighbors] thought it polite to tone it down slightly.

The car will idle slower. But the ECU is still going to pump in extra fuel thinking it has the oxygen. So the car is going to run rich and dump the un-burnt fuel out the exhaust and through the catalytic convertors. If you live somewhere that requires emissions testing the car could fail due to the contaminated cats and most certainly fail is the inspector sees that the emissions system has been altered.

The car will idle slower. But the ECU is still going to pump in extra fuel thinking it has the oxygen. So the car is going to run rich and dump the un-burnt fuel out the exhaust and through the catalytic convertors. If you live somewhere that requires emissions testing the car could fail due to the contaminated cats and most certainly fail is the inspector sees that the emissions system has been altered.

Hi,

I certainly didn't notice the car running rich when the pipe was bunged up? And it's still getting oxygen just fine through the intake system. The electro valves themselves seem to shut down and stop pulling in air, after the car gets to operating temperature anyway.

Hi,

I certainly didn't notice the car running rich when the pipe was bunged up? And it's still getting oxygen just fine through the intake system. The electro valves themselves seem to shut down and stop pulling in air, after the car gets to operating temperature anyway.

I think you are right.

I see that some systems pump in extra oxygen to trick the oxygen sensor into thinking the engine is running lean and the ECU will then widen the injector pulse. So if the lines are plugged the ECU the wouldn't pump in the extra fuel. A modified car would still fail a visual emissions inspection.

My feeling is that Bulls wake up angry! Neighbors should respect that.

I think you are right.
I see that some systems pump in extra oxygen to trick the oxygen sensor into thinking the engine is running lean and the ECU will then widen the injector pulse. So if the lines are plugged the ECU the wouldn't pump in the extra fuel. A modified car would still fail a visual emissions inspection.

My feeling is that Bulls wake up angry! Neighbors should respect that.

lol, yeah like the way you put that, waking up angry is why I put the valves on mine, when Mike plugged the pipes it was very nice and quite on start up, but I wanted to see how it sounded with the bung removed, when I heard the angry noise I decided I liked that lol, at least with the shut off valves I installed, I can compromise depending in where I am.

Not sure if later cars have the same setup, maybe different from 98 on?

Congrats on your Diablo, and credit to you for putting in the time to properly care for it! When I had the 94, I changed out the rear grill as well. I didn't worry about the reverse light delete.

Now go buy better wheel ramps! Those look like they are going to collapse! LOL

Andrew__s_94.jpg

Congrats on your Diablo, and credit to you for putting in the time to properly care for it! When I had the 94, I changed out the rear grill as well. I didn't worry about the reverse light delete.

Now go buy better wheel ramps! Those look like they are going to collapse! LOL

Many thanks for the comments.

The ramps are 2 ton capacity! And not even a year old lol, so they will hold the Diablo ok, think it's the wide wheels that make the ramp look weak.

I just got planning permission to build a 7000sqft garage, so in the process of doing the designs now, and will be installing a proper mechanics car lift in there.

• 1 month later...

Early Christmas Present, Even though I dont need them yet, I thought Id purchase and keep safe as I got them for a great price.

DSC_0504_zpsc951af35.jpg

DSC_0505_zps02ad1646.jpg

DSC_0506_zps0014472d.jpg

Sudesh, anything ever happen with you making any carbon fiber pieces?

In the process as we speak! Was back logged with other projects so took longer than expected. Door entry plate moulds are pretty much finished, and I have prototypes finished in plain FRP to run as a test fit. I'm just waiting for the Lamborghini Decals to be made in reverse, to put into a new mould so it will create the imprint in the CF finish.

The door handles I received from Allan are being worked on next, bit more tricky with the shape, plus we found that Lamborghini coated them in something that needs to removed.

Awesome! Do you plan on doing any group buys of that stuff? Any plans for additional parts to make?

Never really though about it to be honest, but happy to help anyone out with bits if needed. Yeah I have some plans for other bits too, would like to do some engine bay items, and if possible some interior pieces [similar to SE30] quite like carbon/Kevlar look and color.