Factory car stereos?

BLK85

Just curious, what is the best of all the modern luxury cars? I know this will be hard to really determine since everyone is different. But what is everyone's opinion?

Ive heard the Bose in the Audi's, Denalis, and Vettes. Bose seems like they focus more on bass, which isnt bad IMO but it could have more clear other areas. Ive also heard the Bang & Olufsen in the Audi's and it seems very clear but lacks the bass. I cant remember whats in the BMW or the Benz, but how are they, Ive never heard them? How are the Rolls Royce and Bentley Stereos?

Jaguar's Bowers & Wilkins system sounds amazing imo.

Another interesting factory stereo is the new Meridian 1700W system on the new generation of Range Rovers. I haven't heard it but I heard the 825W in an Evoque and it was very good, I imagine the 1700W system is exceptional.

I haven't had a chance to listen to all of these car stereos.....it would be fun.

But I've had good experience with some of the smaller "names" out there....Bose, Boston Acoustics usually do a nice job at voicing, which is the art of getting a nice tonal signature. For instance, the Boston system in the newer Dodge Avenger is very good. The Bose in the mid '00s Audi S4 is also very good. If either of these cars were my D/D I absolutely wouldn't touch it, and would choose another car for a "project".

The really fancy names are often disappointing to hardcore hi fi guys, but work well with less seasoned ears because the thinner sound seems more impressive, like there's more detail (and there isn't). That's just a general rule of audio system auditioning, home or car.

A friend asked me to help him pick between Bose and B&W/B&O for his brother's Audi SUV. Without having heard either, I pretty much pegged the sounds of both, recommended the Bose and knew they'd pick the other. It's that predictable these days. :icon_mrgreen:

From what I've been told, the Nakamichi systems in the '90s Lexuses were outstanding, probably the best of all time. Nakamichi car drivers of that era were the best (IMO), and they were selling some nice DACs and pre-amps as well. If you wanted to talk about pure refinement, it would be very hard to beat such a system in aftermarket.

As a general rule Brian, treble is a very challenging thing to curtail in car stereo given the plethora of reflecting surface (glass mostly), so that's a good thing if a system appears to be shy in that area.

Most decent factory systems are pretty flat compared to many an aftermarket system and usually aren't as bright (as much as it would pain many to admit to that). They EQ the treble down and harsher midrange frequencies down a ton, that boosting them +7 or so doesn't make the system unlistenable like it usually is with aftermarket setups.

The downside to factory is this exaggerated EQing combined with a lot less power means the sound is a lot less dynamic, less open than a good aftermarket setup, and the high SPL/big bass experience is not the same.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. As much as I love this stuff, I'd rather listen to most good factory systems than 90% of aftermarket.

Benz/BMW systems rarely ever impressed.....it almost felt like they didn't care as much. For one, they seem to care more about an exotic looking door panel design than fitting a nice big woofer in the door.

Not always the case, but more often than not. I am pretty sure the E60 5 series did not come with a 6.5" stock, and recall someone modding it to do so. That's just unacceptable in an $80k car.

All I can say is this. Bose fcuking blows. In any application it is overpriced shit. Even if it is free.

All I can say is this. Bose fcuking blows. In any application it is overpriced shit. Even if it is free.

No Highs, No Lows... Must be Blows...

The really fancy names are often disappointing to hardcore hi fi guys, but work well with less seasoned ears because the thinner sound seems more impressive, like there's more detail (and there isn't). That's just a general rule of audio system auditioning, home or car.

As a general rule Brian, treble is a very challenging thing to curtail in car stereo given the plethora of reflecting surface (glass mostly), so that's a good thing if a system appears to be shy in that area.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. As much as I love this stuff, I'd rather listen to most good factory systems than 90% of aftermarket.

:iamwithstupid:

The authoritative car stereo person on L/P had spoken.

I don't know who was the genius that came up with the idea of combining fancy home stereo brand to cars. The scheme worked and is still working. But compare the car stereo vs. the home stereo of the same brands and you would never want to turn the car stereo on. Price vs. sound, fancy stereo brands in cars are a total rip off. Keep in mind also that even with DSP, the cabin of some cars just cannot possibly sound good. Simple physics really; sounds are waves and waves need certain space to travel; limit the space and the waves get interrupted and cut off. Lamborghini's would be one of those cabin that would be inherently inferior to having good sound (although the real music is right behind the cabin).

FWIW, one OEM stereo (i.e. stock, came with the car, no mods, no upgrade) that I was quite impressed with is the Logic 7 system that came with the Land Rover LR4. It was very well balanced with no frequency bumps. It may sound a bit tame to others but balance, voicing and even sound stage was quite accurate. The fact that the car has a tall-box like cabin probably helped immensely. Conversely speaking, I have yet to hear a famous brand name $$$ factory optioned car stereo that really is worth its asking price.

Had a brief trial on it but would like some more time on a serious evaluation: the new full size Range Rover with the Meridian stereo.

Thanks Fellippe and VCR for responding. I was hoping you both would when I created this post. Good points!

I have the B&O system in the Q5, I don't really run into a lacking bass issue though, I didn't crank mine up at all either. I love the system.

The Bose system in both the TLs and RLs were lacking for sure though...Bose seems to have fallen, if it was ever really on top.

I heard the new Lexus Harmon Kardon systems were actually not that bad. Don't know how the new Krell stuff is in the Acura's either. Not sure of any of the other makes really.