Interior door handle INOP

rhyno

My drivers side interior door handle just stopped opening the door. You can still push the button on the exterior of the door and the door will open. I took apart the door card and I can see the cable moving when I pull on the interior handle it just doesn't open the door. Anybody have any ideas?

It's a 1997.5 Roadster....yes I will make an official "I own a diablo" thread when I get some free time!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

The cable is still attached to the inner door handle and when u try and lift up the handle it almost unlatchs the door. It's almost like the cable has stretched or is to long

Check the cable is seated correctly at both ends, I believe there is a small pastic retaining clip at the door latch/lock side, maybe the clip is damaged/worn? Or loose?

You will need to remove your plastic weather sheeting to see the internals of the door and follow the cable to check its all good, and not obstructed anywhere.

The unfortunate part is should you need to replace the cable, it appears not be be as cheap as the earlier cars, quit a bit more expensive, well at least here in the UK anyway.

This should be similar to you door

093_72_01_00.gif

First pic is of the interior handle

image.jpg

Second pic is with me lifting up on the interior handle. You can see the cable moving it just doesn't open the door.

image.jpg

First pic is of the interior handle

Second pic is with me lifting up on the interior handle. You can see the cable moving it just doesn't open the door.

Yes, but you still need to follow the cable and check the rest, Id be interested in seeing what the cable is doing at the opposite end.

I had a similar issue with my engine cover cables, one was snapped the other was stretched and just barely working. Replaced the both with new ones and all operates perfect now.

I had same issue on My 98 Roadster, the plastic clip (#18 on diagram) was worn out, and snap out,was Not longer avail from Lambo so I took to a local auto parts, and got one very similar, still working after 3 years, cost only $7, but very labor intensive, very tight, good luck!

I had same issue on My 98 Roadster, the plastic clip (#18 on diagram) was worn out, and snap out,was Not longer avail from Lambo so I took to a local auto parts, and got one very similar, still working after 3 years, cost only $7, but very labor intensive, very tight, good luck!

Lamborghinisti,

On the door handle wire, there is a turnbuckle in the center of it. You can adjust for stretch. Take the panel completely off first.

I had to replace mine as right at the door lock, the end piece started to fray and there was no way to adjust for it. One by one the strands broke off and I had to replace the wire....$350.00 from Lamborghini Orlando. I was willing to pay whatever as L-stuff had it NLA from Lamborghini.

Shamile

Pain in the rear to do, but once you get the door panel all the way off - the problem will be easy to spot. This is not an uncommon issue.

Curious to see a pic of what you find though, so please post!

She is at my friends place getting a major detail so I will tackle this job next week. Thanks for all the help so far!

Great! Now I will have to think about this and keep door openings to a minimum, just like restarts, clutch depressions, raising the front end, and adjusting the suspension. Oh yeah I already stopped those two all together. :icon_mrgreen:

Hey Ryan, congrats on your new ride, it's awesome. I had the same issue on my Diablo and was able to fix it. Just let me know if you need a hand with it and I would be happy to help you out.

Dallas, I have already thought about maybe bringing her by your place and installing exhaust, headers and sway bar bushings!!!! I hope you don't mind hanging out with me this winter! Lots of work on the old girl lol

Hey Ryan I don't mind at all and would love to hang out. I did the exhaust on my Diablo, my Gallardo and Rays Murcie so why not do another one. I would be happy to help you out, just let me know when your gonna bring it by. BTw congrats on the CT as well, it almost looks exactly the same as your last one. lol

That sounds Awesome Dallas!!!!!! I will drive her right now and over the winter we can do some work to her. Countach is not official until I pick her up Sunday!!!!! It's been a very exciting month for me. I gotta get back to work to pay for these machines!!

I dropped off the Diablo to get all the fluids flushed so I can take her to Lamborghini of Vancouvers grand opening of there new building this Friday. There is also a Lambo drive with Winkelmann to Whistler. Since she was in the shop I had them look at the door handle. The cable has frayed so they will replace it. They adjusted it so it will work for this weekend. Also the power window stopped working so I will be using the window hand crank for the weekend until they figure out the fault, they think its the module or the wiring between the window switch and the module.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 1 month later...
Installed a new cable in the door so the drivers door handle works again!

Did your window problem turn out to be the wiring or the module? My car is doing the same thing.

It's very frustrating. Window was working just fine. Took apart door to replace door strut. Door now works like a champ.

Window now inop :eusa_wall:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Agh..... My interior door latch stopped working again :(

The problem is clear now. The common denominator is you. I recommend more door latch opening practice on other vehicles.