Who here wanted some switchable privacy glass?

capt_chaos

I think it was Snowpoke but I cannot find the thread but someone was asking me about switch able privacy glass.

Well, new product in advanced development

http://sonte.com/

Control the opague nature of your glass with your phone.

Looks promising...Their address is close by where I am. Interesting it is someone's house it appears....

One article is...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/son...artphone-touch/

You can try the SONTE Smart Film for as low as $65 – that price range will get you a 1.64 by 1.64 feet square to test out. The full size 3.28 by 3.28 feet sheet begins at $199, but cheaper pledges may still be available as an earlybird Kickstarter backer.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/son.../#ixzz2g1yrR0Ml

Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

But I think realistically the film will be double that come the proper release.

I do have reservation about the adhesive on poorly insulated windows and windows that are prone to misting. Early days but it is going to be so much cheaper than the current industry norms.

Didn't someone make a license plate cover with that stuff? :ninja:

I am very interested in this kind of product but I see few downsides with this particular one, having to power on for transparency which would be 90% of the time (in my situation), dealing with the transformers, wiring on frameless windows, reduced clarity once film installed.

I am very interested in this kind of product but I see few downsides with this particular one, having to power on for transparency which would be 90% of the time (in my situation), dealing with the transformers, wiring on frameless windows, reduced clarity once film installed.

Yep agree on all of that.

I mean the currency required under clear is relatively low but still an annoyance. Smart glass has the same issues but this has the edge on cost, the app and on triple glazed performance units where each glass piece has a specific purpose.

The film technology is actually the same as that is used in smart glass but with extra adhesive.

Is smart glass on when transparent? Not sure how to feel about being surrounded by a constant electrical charge.

I am toying with the idea on doing full frameless walls to few of the bedrooms which could be switched to privacy during the night but I CAN NOT stand any kind of exposed cables, fittings, etc

I can't find a supplier here, no idea of cost, maintenance, warranty, etc.

Yep smart glass has current when clear and not the the full transparency ie it is still a little cloudy.

As for wires, they should build into the window sightline but I have yet to see a frameless application. My concern is the thermal properties of frameless units and the long term when compared to a proper sealed unit - not that bothers you as you move on before that starts to become an issue :)

IMO I think smart glass is only really suitable for internal applications.

Not cool with your insinuation but hey at least we learning from each other :)

No good on smart glass, I will give it a miss.

I am having some huge dilemmas with engineering the glass curtain walls at the moment, it's frustrating the hell out of me.

In my new design 95% of windows aren't directly exposed to the sun and most are internal, in my last house I installed double glazed units which I imported from Europe, they were/are (and hopefully will be) excellent and had zero issues with them.

Are you talking about the seal in between the glass panels which holds the argon gas (or whatever gas they are using) if that's your concern I can't see a frame doing that much more in order to stop the gas from escaping, I thought that's all on the seal, the only downside I see is that the seal is a bit more exposed to the elements, but the extra silicone jointing in between the framless panels should also help.

I thought that's all on the seal, the only downside I see is that the seal is a bit more exposed to the elements, but the extra silicone jointing in between the framless panels should also help.

Yep the seal is the weak link on them.

I give you an example, a "Standard unit" is 4mm glass 20mm spacer 4mm spacer, the spacer above the spacer is the cavity and that is the part filled with argon to raise the energy efficiency rating of the unit. They then stick a frame on it and the sightline (ie the chunkiness) holds the gas in for longer.

To provide a warranty on a unit like that you can do a 10 year warranty no problem.

Now on older buildings which traditionally have single glazed only windows they can now produce what is a called a heritage unit. That is either 2, 3- or 4 mm glass on a 4mm spacer and then 2, 3- or 4 mm glass the other side. The most you will get on a warranty is 5 years because they are so exposed and tricky to get a got solid seal all the way round. Combine that with a softcoat glass which deteriorates when exposed to air you have one tricky unit.

Frameless is exactly the same and not something you should skimp on. You really need to go to a place that has top quality workmanship on their units.

I love the look of a frameless but the longevity would always been my concern especially on exterior applications.

On a side note I saw something the other day which I actually think you would like.

Mirror kitchen island. The worktop was a white marble/corian affiar but the sides of it were mirrored. It made it look the marble was floating. Sounds tacky but the photo I saw of it looked amazing but I don't know the photo has gone.

I think it was Snowpoke but I cannot find the thread but someone was asking me about switch able privacy glass.

Wasn't that the thread where he wanted the ability to watch his guests poop and not vice-versa?

The units I had in my last house had a valve installed and you could replenish the gas after a while, they were fully framed.

The plus here is that we don't have to deal with a harsh winter, the windows did an outstanding job in the summer, I had one fully exposed to the western sun, the glass was pretty warm on the inside and I was thinking let me go and check the outside, I put my hand on the outside glass I think I had skin left on it :eusa_wall: double glazing really works but due to their cost nobody is using it here, manufacturers aren't experienced in building the units, import is the only option.

I am curious to see that kitchen island, also if you know a system which I can use to slide a 12 m long x 3 m high glass curtain wall with the largest sections possible, preferably 3 to 4 m wide with the least amount of framing or no framing I am all ears, I will need 3 similar runs.

12x3 would need frames, certainly shallow sight lines. That is big though because if I have read right you are looking at 36 metres of glass of which half will slide!

I can think of one company that might be able to help but not sure on the exporting of it to Aus.

I will make some calls.

If you saw the 100th grand designs show the company I know did the glazing for the water tower in London

It was me! I love it! BUt where the hell do I order it?? I can't seem to find a retailer??

Wasn't that the thread where he wanted the ability to watch his guests poop and not vice-versa?

I only watch Megan poop. Then eat it.

12x3 would need frames, certainly shallow sight lines. That is big though because if I have read right you are looking at 36 metres of glass of which half will slide!

I can think of one company that might be able to help but not sure on the exporting of it to Aus.

I will make some calls.

If you saw the 100th grand designs show the company I know did the glazing for the water tower in London

Funny you mentioned that, I saw the episode, I wanted to contact them but I didn't get around to it, I would be interested in just their hardware, if you know someone there I can send them my plan, I can get my architect to draw the window layout I prefer and see what they think of it.

I have three individual sections 1 @ approx 11.9 x 3 and 2 @ 9.5 x 3, each section will have one fixed segment/leaf and the balance sliding.

I am trying to avoid framing in order to avoid obstructing the view while having them shut, but I know I will have to frame them, the frames the local manufacturers are proposing are ridiculously bulky, they look horrible.

We are lacking proper hardware, most can't guarantee their hardware because of the weight of the glass, I need something which slides easy because you are talking a lot of weight, wasn't the London water tower project something like 500 kg per sliding leaf? Very impressive hardware to be able to carry such weight and open with such little effort.

The sliding doors are pivotal to my whole design and I am running out of ideas, the only solution is to increase the number of panels and that's not an option.

What was the name of the company you spoke to?

I engaged my local manufacturer to contact them directly so they could talk about the hardware, we got their details off the net, his response was they won't export, I am very busy at the moment with another project and I didn't worry about following him up, I can find out Monday morning whom he was speaking with.

Let me know, I will also chat to my boss and see if he can think of who might be able to help.

I bet you will need a chunky horizontal frame though. The verticals you might be able to get away with a smaller sight line though.

I will let you know.

I can hide the top horizontals, they go below a suspended concrete floor, I can recess into it or frame to "lose" them.

How well do you know the water tower suppliers?

• 1 year later...

Anyone have first hand knowledge on this product or similar product? How well does this work? How well does it hold up?