Safest way to buy something online from an individual?

OC

Long story short, I'm in the market for a mountain bike. Obviously, as Canadians, we get royally screwed by local shops for no other reason than we are in Canada. So I found a lightly used example in the U.S. for the bike I want. Seller is in Oregon, I'm here, will have the bike shipped at an address in Vermont to avoid the duty taxes, and will pick it up there, mountain bike for a day, and bring it back. There is over $1K of difference between local and this bike, so the trouble is worth it (for me anyways).

Now...for those of you who have dealt with private parties to buy goods which are not local to you, what kind of precautions have you taken before wiring some money and waiting for the product to arrive? Aside from asking for tons of pictures of the bike, what other ways are you guys suggesting?

FYI, I found the bike from an ad in the classified sections of the biggest online forum for mountain biking (pinkbike.com). The member has only registered recently, so always a bit more cautious when that happens.

Thanks all.

The bike is in Bend, Oregon, if someone is willing to help. I've been here long enough that I know we have trustworthy members. :)

Um, i live in redmond, which is 15 minutes from bend. Shoot me a PM. I'll look it over for you. If nothing else I can see if the seller is legit or not for you.

Um, i live in redmond, which is 15 minutes from bend. Shoot me a PM. I'll look it over for you. If nothing else I can see if the seller is legit or not for you.

:icon_thumleft:

:icon_thumleft:

Kaboom. LP strikes again. Will be sending you a PM shortly. :) An impressive community we have here.

I was just there for Master's Nationals. Wow that place is amazing. The guy that owns the shop I ride for has a buddy that owns a shop out there if you need it. Sounds like you have it figured out though. That is one of the many reasons I love this place!

I was just there for Master's Nationals. Wow that place is amazing. The guy that owns the shop I ride for has a buddy that owns a shop out there if you need it. Sounds like you have it figured out though. That is one of the many reasons I love this place!

It's a nice area. Redmond is a small town, Bend is a bit bigger. But I love the outdoor activities we have here. Nice community with nice people as well.