Are electric pumps safe?

TXTT

So I bought a couple of drums of race gas. Was going to buy an electric pump from tractor supply. However, the guy who sold me the gas told me that it was unsafe. Was planning on grounding and putting the drums on the pallet. Anyone have experience with using the electric pump? I have seen post about a guy buring his house down but surely that was due to not following instructions? It is currently 50 degress in dallas and it will be stored in my garage. Also will this pump fit the 54 gallon drum? The guy told me the drum had a 2" bung hole. The pump says 1" inlet and 3/4 outlet?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/gpir...-inlet#desc-tab

race_gas.JPG

pump.pdf

Will VP deliver these large drums of fuel to your home or do you have to have a business address?

I also have a few of the 5 gallon drums laying around, how do you dispose of them?

Will VP deliver these large drums of fuel to your home or do you have to have a business address?

I also have a few of the 5 gallon drums laying around, how do you dispose of them?

Call VP, there used to be a core charge on the small drums and they will refill them if you like.

I've never had an issue getting big drums delivered to the house.

I use 54g VP drums and that same electric pump along with this meter:

20130913_185148_resized_zpscc4c4fc6.jpg

20130922_111027_resized_zps4f9e72c4.jpg

You have to wire the pump yourself but it's actually easy to wire. Go to sears and get a 3 wire pigtail for a garbage disposal and just connect the wires and put the wiring nuts over them.

I have mine on a drum caster like cody mentioned.

I take the pump out after every use and re-seal the drum, then wipe down the pumps tube and put it on some wood. It has an expanding tube that reaches the bottom of the barrel no problem. Just take it out slowly so the gas can run back down the tube and into the barrel. First time I remove it I did it too fast and splashed gas on the floor.

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

I use 54g VP drums and that same electric pump along with this meter:

20130913_185148_resized_zpscc4c4fc6.jpg

20130922_111027_resized_zps4f9e72c4.jpg

You have to wire the pump yourself but it's actually easy to wire. Go to sears and get a 3 wire pigtail for a garbage disposal and just connect the wires and put the wiring nuts over them.

I have mine on a drum caster like cody mentioned.

I take the pump out after every use and re-seal the drum, then wipe down the pumps tube and put it on some wood. It has an expanding tube that reaches the bottom of the barrel no problem. Just take it out slowly so the gas can run back down the tube and into the barrel. First time I remove it I did it too fast and splashed gas on the floor.

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

Thanks guys. These responses have helped a lot.

I think I am going to stick with the manual pump VP sells. If the barrel is elevated a couple of feet, a few pumps and the fuel will syphon until you stop it. Having drag raced 25 years, this has been a good solution and any electrical near a fuel tank is a little frightening to me. I am sure that the latest gadgets are great, but I am going to stay old school.

Just bought the setup yesterday. JB and Mullet are either of you running a separate ground wire from the drum to something else as others have posted online? Or does the ground wire for the pump satisfy that requirement?