The missing center button...

wkumari

This is a project I've been planning on getting around to for a while, but have kept getting sidetracked...

The "missing" center button on the "e-gear" switch unit drives me crazy (the missing button between 'sport' and the traction control) -- I want it to do *something*.

I have removed the cover and switch unit (to destickify it) and opened it -- there are two switches, but the center spot is open / missing -- there are traces on the PCB, but instead of a switch there is a little plastic spacer to prop up the button. I took a look at the switches themselves for a manufacturer / part number but was not able to find them (and was in a bit of a rush to get the car put back together).

Anyway, my plan is to either open the switch unit again and find the manufacturer and part number or buy a center switch unit from a Gallardo and scavenge a switch from it. I'll then solder the switch into the center spot and cut the traces (they all seem to go to a PIC / processor) and run a wire to a small relay. The contacts on the relay will go to the "crank / start" contact on the ignition switch. I should then be able to put in the ignition key and turn it to the "run" position, and then press the (new) center button for "Engine Start". I realize that this is not really easier than just turning the key the extra bit manually, but, well, I want a "push start" button...

I'm also planning on buying a small "Engine Start" button (like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-22mm-Red...r-/370972678650 but smaller), removing the lens from the button, and mounting that in place of the plain black spacer button.

Thoughts? Am I a bit crazy / OCD for not being able to just ignore the missing button? Does anyone else suffer from this affliction?

I have a Start/Stop button in my SV. The aluminum is now powdercoated red and it uses the old cigarette lighter hole. I'll snap a finished pic Monday.

i need one of these in my superleggera... UGR has been trying for a while now to figure it out but can't seem to bypass the security system... the key always gets in the way of my leg and im not concerned with disabling the security system so let me know if you guys get this figured out :)

i will buy a set up...

Here's a quick pic...

Excellent.

Did you do the install yourself? If so, do you happen to remember the wire colors, etc? I'd prefer not to have to spend a few hours crouched in the footwell figuring out the contacts on the ignition switch...

I have removed the center switch unit and disassembled it -- pics below.

Finding the tactile switch was a bit tricky (no manufacturer / part number), but its a B3E-1100-GREEN. There are a few unpopulated components, 2x 470 Ohm resistors and a SMT LED.

I already have the LEDs and resistors in stock and will add them -- they simply provide backlight / illumination for the buttons.

I'll also add the switch and try it (before cutting the traces) to see what, if anything the center button does!

After that I'll cut the center switch traces and run wires to hook up to a starter unit (I bought a "Pivot Starter Switch" from eBay for ~$15 - cheaper than building myself). I'll provide details / updates as I get this done...

Marked_up_center_switch.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Gallery: Gallery

As the regular murci uses a key I can see being able to start the car with a button after you have inserted the key and turned it to the run position but you would still need to turn the key to the off position to stop the engine wouldn't you?

If so the button may look cool but would make starting the car more difficult than just turning the key an extra 1/8 turn.

I'm sure you could link the ignition to the remote fob or use a two stage push button so no key would be needed but as I think the steering lock is pure mechanical that would cause a problem.

As the regular murci uses a key I can see being able to start the car with a button after you have inserted the key and turned it to the run position but you would still need to turn the key to the off position to stop the engine wouldn't you?

Yup.

If so the button may look cool but would make starting the car more difficult than just turning the key an extra 1/8 turn.

Form over function?!

Yes, this will be more difficult than just turning the key, but, in my opinion, cooler. More importantly it puts the missing center button to use :-)

I *could* always remove the ignition lock and disable the steering lock (by removing / filing off the pin), but I'm fine with using the key and the button.

Start & Stop via button only and no mechanical 'lock' of the steering wheel sans key are both achievable! :)

Start & Stop via button only and no mechanical 'lock' of the steering wheel sans key are both achievable! :)

Yup -- I'm just trying to figure out if I'd like to do so. Having someone able to hop in and press the "Start" button with no key seems "creepy".

So, in the tradition of starting a simple project and then making it overly complex and over engineered I've been thinking...

New plan (main issue is time) is to have a small Arduino with a proximity card / NFC RFID reader (like http://www.cutedigi.com/sensor/id/nfc-rfid...html#googlebase ) mounted under the drivers seat. I already have a MiFare NFC card in my wallet, sitting on the seat will bring it into range.

The (single) button would work like this:

Single press - turn ignition on / off.

Long press (if on) - starter motor.

I've started making the button itself on a 3D printer, pics later today.

W

Yup -- I'm just trying to figure out if I'd like to do so. Having someone able to hop in and press the "Start" button with no key seems "creepy".

So, in the tradition of starting a simple project and then making it overly complex and over engineered I've been thinking...

New plan (main issue is time) is to have a small Arduino with a proximity card / NFC RFID reader (like http://www.cutedigi.com/sensor/id/nfc-rfid...html#googlebase ) mounted under the drivers seat. I already have a MiFare NFC card in my wallet, sitting on the seat will bring it into range.

W

Awesome!!! Can't wait to see!

W

Good effort ! As an alternative, with some resilience, take a look at the Audi keyless setup on the C6 and later cars. Electrical steering lock and separate ignition key slot with switch. Use your or similar RFID sensor, difficulty is you don't want the ignition on as soon as you sit in the seat (or otherwise come into range). Backup remains the key (blade profile is same as OEM Lambo).