Factory Matte Paint Care

ToofDoc

To Wrap or Not To Wrap  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Wrap the car in XPEL Stealth Film even if it will mask the true matte paint beauty, at least the car is protected
    • Do not wrap it, let the true matte paint display its magic, rock chips are no big deal
    • I'm not sure either....that's a tough call

Andy, Todd at Esoteric is probably a worthwhile phone call.

I Have referenced Todd in the past. He doesn't do much with matte paint cars. Even with Yu's SL, they only detail the interior.

I'll see all you guys again this driving season so I'll talk to him again.

I did reference Scott...he recommended leaving it naked as well and drive slower behind the car ahead of you.

Driving slow and avoiding rock chips is the worst thing ever. I have a friend with a minty fresh S-class who is a complete NAZI about rock chips. I hate driving his car with him in it - he is constantly telling me to stay away from EVERY vehicle on the highway (impossible) and gives me a "heads up" whenever anyone is braking. The way I drive is incompatible with completely avoiding rock chips - they're just a part of life.

Don't get a matte paint - get a normal color and wrap it matte (if you can).

If you absolutely have to have a matte finish, follow these tips and I would do serious research on clear bras or completely wrapping the car in 3M or equivalent to protect the car - especially if it's a DD and you don't want to "baby" it.

Driving slow and avoiding rock chips is the worst thing ever. I have a friend with a minty fresh S-class who is a complete NAZI about rock chips. I hate driving his car with him in it - he is constantly telling me to stay away from EVERY vehicle on the highway (impossible) and gives me a "heads up" whenever anyone is braking. The way I drive is incompatible with completely avoiding rock chips - they're just a part of life.

Don't get a matte paint - get a normal color and wrap it matte (if you can).

If you absolutely have to have a matte finish, follow these tips and I would do serious research on clear bras or completely wrapping the car in 3M or equivalent to protect the car - especially if it's a DD and you don't want to "baby" it.

Def getting matte paint, no changing that!

It won't be my DD. I won't drive like a grandma or anything! Just not crazy like we all know we drive when we're in a cruise with other exotics.

Pittsburgh roads, I have to worry about left over salt from prior winter! The worst is driving next to or behind a construction truck or a semi!

Just drive it, enjoy it and don't sweat the little things, I never wrap any of my cars I drive them as careful as one can drive and let the next guy worry about chips etc.

I would never buy a matte paint car but I would wrap a car with a matte wrap. When done correctly you can't tell the difference between the matte wrap and the matte paint.

Do the areas that get chips. Chips really take away and impossible to touch up. If I am looking at preowned and see chips it does not get bought.

I'm sure is tougher to match....preowned chipped car probably gets devalued to certain degree.

I would never buy a matte paint car but I would wrap a car with a matte wrap. When done correctly you can't tell the difference between the matte wrap and the matte paint.

Everyone obviously has different taste right, Kris? I disagree with you on how matte wrap is the same as factory matte paint. It all depends. Matte black and white....yes, similar from afar with actual paint and wrap, but grey, how it changes color under different lighting, the actual paint does that...the matte wrap may not. Up close, I've seen actual black matte paint and I had black matte wrapped car....they don't look that much similar. Factory paint is much more vibrant in both texture and appearance.

As far as cost, shiny/glossy paint + an amazing full car wrap job is probably similar as the cost of factory paint up charge.

I'm pretty excited to see Grigio Titans in person without the wrap.

I'm sure is tougher to match....preowned chipped car probably gets devalued to certain degree.

Everyone obviously has different taste right, Kris? I disagree with you on how matte wrap is the same as factory matte paint. It all depends. Matte black and white....yes, similar from afar with actual paint and wrap, but grey, how it changes color under different lighting, the actual paint does that...the matte wrap may not. Up close, I've seen actual black matte paint and I had black matte wrapped car....they don't look that much similar. Factory paint is much more vibrant in both texture and appearance.

As far as cost, shiny/glossy paint + an amazing full car wrap job is probably similar as the cost of factory paint up charge.

I'm pretty excited to see Grigio Titans in person without the wrap.

I think matte paint looks amazing! It's just the upkeep that turns me off and all the issues already mentioned in this thread. The wraps have gotten better and I wouldn't be able to justify doing the paint and dealing with the hassles that come with it when I could just have Detailing Dynamics wrap it. Keep in mind that every inch of my Aventador is wrapped. I am all for it when you have good people to do the work.

I wish you the best with it! No hate for matte paint here. In fact, a friend from a dealership texted me a pic of a matte white Aventador that just came in today and it looks amazing!

I think matte paint looks amazing! It's just the upkeep that turns me off and all the issues already mentioned in this thread. The wraps have gotten better and I wouldn't be able to justify doing the paint and dealing with the hassles that come with it when I could just have Detailing Dynamics wrap it. Keep in mind that every inch of my Aventador is wrapped. I am all for it when you have good people to do the work.

I wish you the best with it! No hate for matte paint here. In fact, a friend from a dealership texted me a pic of a matte white Aventador that just came in today and it looks amazing!

Upkeep will be a pain for sure...that's why I started this thread to learn more about all the PITA stuff. But man, that matte finish is my cup of tea!

So important to have a reputable and EXPERIENCED shop install a full body wrap job.

Trust me, I thought long and hard about getting Grigio Estoque and then wrap it matte....but at the end...I decided to take the plunge on the actual paint.

Matte white is sexy also!!!

Matte brown = doodoo brown = no good!

So more or less the time we would spend polishing/rubbing/waxing will be spent gently rubbing off the oily "t zones" of the lambo... Sounds like to each their own. Proper wash, polish and dry care and gtg.

My 50th roadster in grigio titans is due in next week, and I have the same dilemma. I am going to check out the xpel stealth. I will have them try a small sample on it before wrapping the whole car. I dont want it to change the factory appearance but also dont want rock chips. Not sure what to do yet. But I can post pics of it with the stealth wrap sample when the time comes so you can check it out.

DO NOT WRAP A MATTE FINISH...you will ruin the matte finish paint when removing the wrap because you will still have residue and no way to remove it the residue without making your matte finish shiny!!!

I have had wrapped vehicles and the wrap definitely saves the paint on normal painted cars with clear coat. They steam off the wrap (generally) and it peels right off. IT DOES LEAVE RESIDUE IN ALOT OF PLACES AND THE ONLY WAY TO CORRECTLY GET IT OFF IS WITH A SOLVENT THEN DO A DETAIL). You can not do that with a matte finish.

I have a painted matte black vehicle now. The great news it is easy to take care of. Just wash and wipe dry. BUT when you get oil, or for example gum, etc on the vehicle you have to be VERY CAREFUL to not rub to much otherwise you make the matte finish a shiny finish.

Only recommendation I have and what I am personally going to do in the future is if you want a matte black paint then buy a black Lambo and install the 3M matte wrap on it! Looks amazing, protects your paint, and no issues when you want to remove it!

My 50th roadster in grigio titans is due in next week, and I have the same dilemma. I am going to check out the xpel stealth. I will have them try a small sample on it before wrapping the whole car. I dont want it to change the factory appearance but also dont want rock chips. Not sure what to do yet. But I can post pics of it with the stealth wrap sample when the time comes so you can check it out.

Definitely post a sample pic!

I'm leaning towards not wrapping! Don't want to loose that factory matte finish!

I defintiely will. Im also leaning towards not wrapping it, but I plan to check it out before making final decision. Should know next week. Roadster is flying in this weekend. Cant wait!

I defintiely will. Im also leaning towards not wrapping it, but I plan to check it out before making final decision. Should know next week. Roadster is flying in this weekend. Cant wait!

Lots of pictures! I can't wait to see mine as well! What color interior is yours? I didn't get a 50th, just a "regular" Roadster! :icon_super:

I went with the anniversary interior-terra emilia. little orange but wanted to keep some of the exclusive option on the 50th since i am not a yellow fan and didnt go with the the 50th yellow.