Childrens "swimming vest"

Market Top

Its summer in the 'burgh and I'm looking for a swimming vest for my 2.5 year old son. I remember there was some discussion on the topic awhile back embedded in another thread but I cant find it. Search was not my friend. If I remember correctly there was a very popular style that one or two members cautioned against as it would actually keep the child's head IN the water. That would be bad. Any suggestions on the correct vest would be greatly appreciated or if you know where the thread is that would be great too. Thanks.

Sign me up for this as well! My 2 year old daughter could use something better than floaties for sure.

we've used the speedo kid's vest and something like the stearn's puddle jumper. if you're in the pool with them it's fine but i wouldn't leave them alone with those on.

fwiw, we had a harder time teaching the kids to swim after using stuff like this because it teaches them to hold their head and chest up. it's hard to get them to put their face in the water or learn proper swim technique after they get dependent on the vests and floaties.

fwiw, we had a harder time teaching the kids to swim after using stuff like this because it teaches them to hold their head and chest up. it's hard to get them to put their face in the water or learn proper swim technique after they get dependent on the vests and floaties.

Thats a very good point. Thanks for the observation. Maybe just a small raft thingy when its fun time rather than floaties. Dad will be with him every second he's in the water so maybe just nothing at all.

are you looking for a vest to keep the child a float.. or a swimming vest which holds up most of the childs weight so they can learn to swim with out holding up their entire body weight.... I use to sell swimming vests that are called float n swim.. which I still have a few in stock, if your are intrested in such..

We never used anything for our kids. Just started them with the Parent/Child classes when very young and kept them in classes and into initial swim team so they learned very well and we didn't have to worry about them (as much.)

are you looking for a vest to keep the child a float.. or a swimming vest which holds up most of the childs weight so they can learn to swim with out holding up their entire body weight.... I use to sell swimming vests that are called float n swim.. which I still have a few in stock, if your are intrested in such..

I wanted something that we could put on him when we were just hanging out in the pool rather than teaching him to swim. We plan to hire a local instructor to come to the house a teach him some basics this summer. But now that I think about it, it sounds like any kind of "aid" would just confuse the situation. Whenever he is in the water either my wife or I am with him. Truth be told, I bet we couldn't keep anything on him. Last year at this time (18 months) he was jumping in from the side, much to my wife's horror, so he's that kind of a kid. So its kind of like Capt said - he's going in the deep end - all I'm trying to do is keep his head above water for a few seconds. I'll probably just go without.

Best thing you can do is get them swimming lessons from a very early age, all my kids went when they were one year old and now they are swimming very well, never used any aids only for fun.

My kids are the same way. They just jump right off of the pool deck and into the pool. Swim lessons for sure this summer for them.

I'll probably just go without.

It really is convenient for the parents to have them wear something but I think you'll be better off.

We used a vest with one kid and not with the other and the results were way better without. My son (19 months) never used a vest or floatie and he can already float on his back and hold his breath and doggie paddle a bit. We did use the vest with my daughter who is now 4 and it's taken a year of swim lessons (and switching instructors) to get her comfortable swimming without it and putting her face in the water.

A nice middle ground is getting those small kickboards or some foam noodles so your kid can grab on to something while you're in the pool with them and playing.

Good luck and enjoy!

A nice middle ground is getting those small kickboards or some foam noodles so your kid can grab on to something while you're in the pool with them and playing.

Funny - I just bought one of the kickboards. Great minds....

Thanks all for the advice.