Going to put to rest the DD vs F/I performance questions

Allan-Herbie

Yes.. big box . Maybe you already had some sort of exhaust or factory sport exhaust?

Hmm...perhaps...because it wasn't rectangular at all; more like a large cylinder (larger than the Quicksilver and being a single "tube" only.)

Allan, was your OEM exhaust that big? Somehow the Canadian 88-1/2 QV is no where that.

Items weighted: exhaust, cats, rear US bumpers & braces, front US bumper & braces.

Edit: plus that rear tail-light surround that's the width of the car. Surprisingly, the front bumper is lighter than it looks.

So safe to say with smog pump and big box exhaust very close to 200lbs.

Why didnt someone do this 20 years ago LOL

Next stop is to buy a Testarossa, and see how that really compares.

I posted this video awhile ago aswell.. The 2nd 2 25th Anniv are carbed, and no doubt modded... Without dropping the clutch, they can barely manage 100mph in the 1/4

There are some other variables to contend with. I believe the side door for added impact safety has additional reinforcements along with rear bumper reinforcements that add more weight. In addition, the fuel injection manifolds also weight a bit more than the carb set up. So, those are the things I would see as a deficit. However, if the result ends up that hp is close and performance is close, the reliability and tractability of a fuelie would be much more desirable for driving.

You could always remove the spare tire to offset any additional reinforcement that a US car has. I don't know how close a Evans rebuild is to a stock engine. I would think it is more of a blue printed engine. I thought George changed the pistons and bumped the timing as well. Another variable will be the tuning on the dd car. I was playing around with the jets in mine. I fattened it up a good bit. Took it out for a ride. I kid you not it was like a different car. I have never gotten that big of an increase on any car that I have played with. The downfall, it smoked like a freight train, like the Kreissieg exhaust video. I changed it back, but if I was ever to race it....

Still a noble thing to investigate. I look forward to the findings. Another possible myth is the question if a S1 would be as fast. The car does have less hp, but weighs less as well. Often times I see the claim that it is as fast.

You could always remove the spare tire to offset any additional reinforcement that a US car has. I don't know how close a Evans rebuild is to a stock engine. I would think it is more of a blue printed engine. I thought George changed the pistons and bumped the timing as well. Another variable will be the tuning on the dd car. I was playing around with the jets in mine. I fattened it up a good bit. Took it out for a ride. I kid you not it was like a different car. I have never gotten that big of an increase on any car that I have played with. The downfall, it smoked like a freight train, like the Kreissieg exhaust video. I changed it back, but if I was ever to race it....

Still a noble thing to investigate. I look forward to the findings. Another possible myth is the question if a S1 would be as fast. The car does have less hp, but weighs less as well. Often times I see the claim that it is as fast.

Ive driven 2 S1, and neither seemed as quick as any QV. My pistons are stock, they looked as new. Cams are timed at euro specs

Allan didn't u had the electromotive done on the other ct u had before? How was that compared to ur ct now?

Well, hard to say, that was a long time ago.. I do remember it was a night and day difference, felt like a 100 hp difference. I remember the car would spin the rear tires shifting from 1st to 2nd, something my new car will not do.. As an idea though, a member here Dennis has a yellow QV with electronic fuel injection. Although his car uses a Motec system its the highest dyno I know of for a Countach, over 420rwhp. To put that in perspective my Diablo SV made 416rwhp with full exhaust. I do believe the Motec QV did have additional mods as well though, but it gives a good idea of potential..

Ive driven 2 S1, and neither seemed as quick as any QV.

That is what I suspected. There is no replacement for displacement.

That is what I suspected. There is no replacement for displacement.

Willing to bet there is not much of a weight difference.

Willing to bet there is not much of a weight difference.

Nsxer was going to weigh them. I don't think I ever saw if it was done.

Nsxer was going to weigh them. I don't think I ever saw if it was done.

Ill see if I can maybe weigh my car somehow..

i owned S1 and S3 400S

as well as driven a very good DD

all sport exhaust

all stock beside exhaust

the DD is faster than both S1 and S3

i never driven the FI QV but i think with it is also faster than the 400S

the S1 and S3 feel both a bit lighter (but not 300 Kgs lighter!) and the steering is a bit nicer on the older cars

both 400S handle a bit better than the QV

as for difference from S1 to S3: i do think they are very close

so close one could be faster than the other depending on any given example