Is anyone still doing the Montana car registration thing - particularly anyone in Texas?

Ag02M5

I think I read California was cracking down on it.

Anyone in Texas doing it? I would like some first hand input if possible.

Is it possible to do it on a new car purchased at a local dealer (in Texas)?

PM is fine if you would rather not discuss on a public forum.

Thx.

I don't know anything about Texas but I see it all the time in our Ohio/Michigan/Kentucky/PA region. I believe DoctaM3 did it for his LP720 -- maybe he'll chime in?

Rouleur has a lawyer in Montana that can do the whole thing for you. He has lots of experience and can advise you on your specific circumstance.

I'd be interested in taking a look at this for Texas as well.

I've been on the fence about getting my dealer license just for this purpose.

It is still legit. You have to be careful based on your state of residence. Some states have gotten clever (IL being the biggest culprit) that if you purchase a car from a dealer that is in your home state, the dealer is REQUIRED to register said car in that state. Example... You go into Lamborghini Dallas and purchase an Aventador, you live in TX as well, they could be required by the state for you to register that car in TX. Many people will then commit to buying the car from the local dealer and have a dealer in another state take the deal down in order for you to do the MT/OR/AK registration.

Not sure if that helps. Happy to answer any questions you might have that I can help with. I am not an attorney nor do I pretend to be one. I do know the attorney that facilitates this for some people that I used to know.

I'd be interested in taking a look at this for Texas as well.

I've been on the fence about getting my dealer license just for this purpose as well.

A lot of people do this but quickly learn that the states have safeguarded against that as well, especially for the guy that does one or two cars every couple years. They make you get a store front that does not share a name with another business (so you cannot cobrand or co op on your buddy's building for the signage) they make you get a surety bond that costs a couple hundred to a couple grand a year, then they also require you to have an office, chairs, phone line hard wired and a filing cabinet. Then the big kicker, you have to have lot insurance. When I have investigated this, the costs were pretty substantial. You are talking about anywhere from 10k-25k per year in premiums. Add the rent and electrical and the like and it becomes ineffective cost wise.

It is still legit. You have to be careful based on your state of residence. Some states have gotten clever (IL being the biggest culprit) that if you purchase a car from a dealer that is in your home state, the dealer is REQUIRED to register said car in that state. Example... You go into Lamborghini Dallas and purchase an Aventador, you live in TX as well, they could be required by the state for you to register that car in TX. Many people will then commit to buying the car from the local dealer and have a dealer in another state take the deal down in order for you to do the MT/OR/AK registration.

Not sure if that helps. Happy to answer any questions you might have that I can help with. I am not an attorney nor do I pretend to be one. I do know the attorney that facilitates this for some people that I used to know.

I have Montana plates and never had an issue. Also have friends that run them without any problems. Not sure how they could enforce based on residence because you are buying the car in the name of the LLC and the LLC is the registered owner, at least that's the way mine is set up. I bought a car in GA last year and they just sent the paperwork to my Montana lawyer and I got my MT plates in the mails a few days later but picked the car up locally.

I'm not primarily doing it for the tax saving though, although that's a nice bonus, but because GA makes it impossible to register a car here if you live in a different country and are not a US resident or visa holder [Can't get a GA license, can't register a car in GA without a GA license]. You might be able to do it through a LLC but if going through that trouble you might as well do the LLC in a state without sales tax.

This is who I use and he is zero hassle to work with: http://www.bennettlawofficepc.com

Not sure how they could enforce based on residence because you are buying the car in the name of the LLC and the LLC is the registered owner, at least that's the way mine is set up.

In Cali they call it a Use tax and say if the car is operated in the state more than 2 weeks by someone who lives in Cali it needs to pay taxes. Cali WILL get its money.

I have Montana plates and never had an issue. Also have friends that run them without any problems. Not sure how they could enforce based on residence because you are buying the car in the name of the LLC and the LLC is the registered owner, at least that's the way mine is set up. I bought a car in GA last year and they just sent the paperwork to my Montana lawyer and I got my MT plates in the mails a few days later but picked the car up locally.

I'm not primarily doing it for the tax saving though, although that's a nice bonus, but because GA makes it impossible to register a car here if you live in a different country and are not a US resident or visa holder [Can't get a GA license, can't register a car in GA without a GA license]. You might be able to do it through a LLC but if going through that trouble you might as well do the LLC in a state without sales tax.

This is who I use and he is zero hassle to work with: http://www.bennettlawofficepc.com

Comes down to use tax laws. They have them in most states, they just never have call to use them. FL has them too, they use them on boats a lot supposedly as I hear that most of the big yachts are registered in the Bahamas for tax reasons.

Bennett Law is the one to use.

Thanks. Sent Bennett and email and see where it goes.

Interestingly enough this is a MUCH bigger factor on RV's than on exotics given the number of RV's owned vs exotics.

How does the insurance work? I assume you would have to get it in the name of the business, so does that make it more expensive? Or is that still based primarily on the driver(s) listed on the policy? And can you add other people in your household who aren't officers/employees of the business?

How does the insurance work? I assume you would have to get it in the name of the business, so does that make it more expensive? Or is that still based primarily on the driver(s) listed on the policy? And can you add other people in your household who aren't officers/employees of the business?

I have the insurance in my name with the LLC listed as an 'additional interested party'. Not sure about adding other people.

I have the insurance in my name with the LLC listed as an 'additional interested party'. Not sure about adding other people.

Thanks. That sounds pretty straightforward.