Airbnb or Management Company?

sprite

What do people use here for renting out their vacation homes? I'm hoping to pick up a beach house in the spring and would like to do short term vacation rentals when I'm not using it. I'm thinking I could just do airbnb and use a maid that will prep the house for new guests, but not sure if going with a management company that handles it all is a better solution?

I would recommend a management company for the simple fact that they will be able to screen and control who rents and thus protecting you in the process - the other 50% is the hassle factor saved of not dealing with issues that will arise through the tenant

Management companies also have access to longer term tenants vs air bnb which will have more daily and weekend renters coming through it

Not in your area but I speak from experience and work in that industry

I use VRBO and AirBnB, I get clients from both, I used a service for my Florida properties but just got a good cleaning company and now manage it myself. Unfortunately the fees. Kept rising and reliability was declining from our local services. I had several guests show up to a condo that was not cleaned in between guests. If you have the time, you can save the fees and keep your fingers on the pulse. I also screen my guests using a background credit check and payment in full 60 days out. Anyone who objects. I am not interested in renting to them. With electronic locks and security systems that hook up to wifi, I can control access from my iPhone. I just give them a entry code that works for their dates and then delete it upon departure.

I use VRBO and AirBnB, I get clients from both, I used a service for my Florida properties but just got a good cleaning company and now manage it myself. Unfortunately the fees. Kept rising and reliability was declining from our local services. I had several guests show up to a condo that was not cleaned in between guests. If you have the time, you can save the fees and keep your fingers on the pulse. I also screen my guests using a background credit check and payment in full 60 days out. Anyone who objects. I am not interested in renting to them. With electronic locks and security systems that hook up to wifi, I can control access from my iPhone. I just give them a entry code that works for their dates and then delete it upon departure.

Thanks, which site do you use for the background check?

Thanks, which site do you use for the background check?

http://www.instantcheckmate.com

I've use this for several years since the government start mandating employers do background screenings in the medical device industry. I found it to be extremely reliable.

Good advice for sure - always keep in mind though that this would never be passive income as a lot of people think it is - vacation rentals are a very hands on business and be sure to have the time to manage things accordingly!

I've used airbnb to rent out a space and haven't had any issues. It is pretty hands on though. The most important thing is making sure you vet your renters prior to anything. Being close to an airport, I unexpectedly found a niche as a crash pad for people flying out early in the morning.

I've been thinking of doing this with a high rise condo I have in downtown Austin since I am only there a few days out of the month. Anyone have an idea of how many days the unit will be rented out on an average month?