Looking to buy a Diablo

Jbarbakow

I am interested in buying a 94 or newer Diablo with lower miles in excellent conidition - prefer black or silver. Not interested in paying what many dealers seem to be asking, but rather trying to find a private seller looking to sell in the $100-130k range, depending on condition and model year.

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

IMO, the days of cheap Diablos are over, dealers seem to be asking fair market value. If one is offered up at a low price, I would have a long hard look at it, and have a PPI done for sure. Happy hunting!

100-125 range i could agree those days are probably gone.

but current prices are mostly artificially inflated based on speculators buying up the cars and sitting on them trying to drive up the prices. I know one person sitting on two cars and another sitting on 1 car both have clearly stated that they bought them because of what happened with the countach market and are going to sit on them for a while and see what happens.

In early December you could buy one pretty easily for 135ish. The only reason prices have jumped up 70k+ in 6 weeks is because everyone saw what happened with the countach market and didn't want to take a chance on missing the boat for the diablo market.

It may take several months but i think that they will come back down off their current highs. Might only be 20-30k but i doubt they will continue to climb. When i talked to the "in the know" people just a couple of years ago when i first considered buying one everyone was saying they will never drop below the mid 150s. Ended up dropping below 100k at their worst.

100-125 range i could agree those days are probably gone.

but current prices are mostly artificially inflated based on speculators buying up the cars and sitting on them trying to drive up the prices. I know one person sitting on two cars and another sitting on 1 car both have clearly stated that they bought them because of what happened with the countach market and are going to sit on them for a while and see what happens.

In early December you could buy one pretty easily for 135ish. The only reason prices have jumped up 70k+ in 6 weeks is because everyone saw what happened with the countach market and didn't want to take a chance on missing the boat for the diablo market.

It may take several months but i think that they will come back down off their current highs. Might only be 20-30k but i doubt they will continue to climb. When i talked to the "in the know" people just a couple of years ago when i first considered buying one everyone was saying they will never drop below the mid 150s. Ended up dropping below 100k at their worst.

There are sales happening that are pushing the numbers up as well. So it's not 100% speculation.. Some dealers are still saying that about the countach... In hopes they can get their hands on one from someone. These cars aren't coming back down. They are still cheap for what they are. This spring you will see. There will be some cars to hit the market, but they will sell, and they will sell quick. The values will go up. Not down.

Good luck. If you find a good one jump on it quickly.

Yeah, what would cause them to come back down? Why would Countachs come down? Hard to even find good ones or any at all and that's not going to change. I don't see why the Diablo would be any different.

same thing that causes everything to come down. Economy, what people are willing to pay for something, slow down in consumer spending for luxury goods, etc etc. Right now a lot of cars (not all) have been bought up as short term investments and are just sitting in storage waiting for prices to go up. This in turn causes a shortage in supply which drives prices up. But this is really a false shortage as the product is there its just being held back from the market due to speculation. Once people get tired of sitting on the cars they will start putting them back on the market to sell. I am betting however that at $200k pricepoints there wont be a lot of people lining up to purchase one. There's a significant difference in the number of people that could afford a $120K car and those that can afford a $200k car. After all it was that 200k+ pricepoint that fueled the diablo kit car industry. When prices dropped to the point that you could buy a real one for almost the same as it would cost to build a kit car people abandoned the kit cars and started purchasing real ones.

Assuming that investors dont just keep sitting on them and start putting them back on the market to sell my personal opinion is that prices will drop back down a bit over the course of this year. But again its my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own views. Time will tell if im right or wrong.

same thing that causes everything to come down. Economy, what people are willing to pay for something, slow down in consumer spending for luxury goods, etc etc. Right now a lot of cars (not all) have been bought up as short term investments and are just sitting in storage waiting for prices to go up. This in turn causes a shortage in supply which drives prices up. But this is really a false shortage as the product is there its just being held back from the market due to speculation. Once people get tired of sitting on the cars they will start putting them back on the market to sell. I am betting however that at $200k pricepoints there wont be a lot of people lining up to purchase one. There's a significant difference in the number of people that could afford a $120K car and those that can afford a $200k car. After all it was that 200k+ pricepoint that fueled the diablo kit car industry. When prices dropped to the point that you could buy a real one for almost the same as it would cost to build a kit car people abandoned the kit cars and started purchasing real ones.

Assuming that investors dont just keep sitting on them and start putting them back on the market to sell my personal opinion is that prices will drop back down a bit over the course of this year. But again its my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own views. Time will tell if im right or wrong.

There haven't been "a lot" of diablos on the market in the last 3 years.. So I dont think they were bought up for investment purposes.

Lol, are you not following Countach prices??? Seems absurd to say people won't pay 200k for a Diablo but they'll pay 450k for a Countach. The only people I see saying the market is going down or prices aren't going to hold are the ones who are trying to buy...

One thing is for sure, they aren't going to get cheaper than they were.

Lol, are you not following Countach prices??? Seems absurd to say people won't pay 200k for a Diablo but they'll pay 450k for a Countach. The only people I see saying the market is going down or prices aren't going to hold are the ones who are trying to buy...

One thing is for sure, they aren't going to get cheaper than they were.

The only people I see saying the market is going up or prices arent going to drop are the ones trying to sell or who already own one and want the value to appreciate ;)

I think at 130 you can get in the game. Last year we had a few in Canada at 80-90K but as stated above those days are gone. One can question if its speculation or not, but there are not a whole lot of Diablos out there. Total production was a few thousand tops. I say buy Chads, look at it every day for the master piece it is and you wont be disappointed. If you don't foresee having to sell it, you wont lose money. New cars don't have the raw Lambo'ness the old ones have. That analog feel will be what keeps classic cars appreciating. The risk is to wait and rat nest cars will be 175

The only people I see saying the market is going up or prices arent going to drop are the ones trying to sell or who already own one and want the value to appreciate ;)

UMMMM, Funny I was just thinking YOU are the only one that is thinking or saying prices will fall. But you single handedly might be able to keep wishing the market down. As you said, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think at 130 you can get in the game. Last year we had a few in Canada at 80-90K but as stated above those days are gone. One can question if its speculation or not, but there are not a whole lot of Diablos out there. Total production was a few thousand tops. I say buy Chads, look at it every day for the master piece it is and you wont be disappointed. If you don't foresee having to sell it, you wont lose money. New cars don't have the raw Lambo'ness the old ones have. That analog feel will be what keeps classic cars appreciating. The risk is to wait and rat nest cars will be 175

Good one..

UMMMM, Funny I was just thinking YOU are the only one that is thinking or saying prices will fall. But you single handedly might be able to keep wishing the market down. As you said, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

seems like it.

No, he's not the only one who thinks the exotic car bubble will get a leak soon (and I am an owner, FWIW). And another thing he said that I agree with i that the market for a $100k car is far different than the $200k market. The average Joes of the world like myself can scrape together $100k, but not $200k+.

I would not recommend someone in my financial position, where I can't afford to lose $50k or more to buy into the market as it sits now, where you have multiple sellers with nice butnot special 6.0s with $400k+ ask prices.

Same with Boxers, where a $105k car 2 years ago is now worth $395k......just not logical.

like swift says haters gotta hate. Dunno why you guys are getting so worked up over this. Chipster asked me to quantify my pov and i did. Seriously let it go. If you dont agree with my opinion thats fine. But instead of making lame comments like the above whey dont YOU provide an INTELLIGENT rebuttal as to why you disagree.

Either way lets all just move on. Come next winter well see where the market is and someone will be eating crow.

Here is my quantified "INTELLIGENT rebuttal as to why I disagree"

Not a hater at all, I was basing my opinion on this FACT,

Lamborghini Diablo - 1990-2001

Cost in 2009: £55,000

Price today: £80,000

Percentage increase: 45.5 %

I wish any of my investments had that type of return.

The Diablo IS one of the top ten cars to increase in value over the past 5 years, FACT.

Sure everything goes up and down a bit in value, depending on a number of factors, inflation, crude oil price etc...

But again, in my opinion, the bottom will not fall out and these cars will continue to increase steadily over time.

The chart below shows the collector car values (shown in blue) to be much more stable, over the past 8 years, than the price of gold AND the FTSE 100.

post-73833-1422799905.jpg

I think it has been discussed many times on here about the economy and the impact on the exotic car market. I don't think the ones buying up Countachs and Diablos are the ones who would be phased much in an economic down period. I think that is the younger crowd who is buying up cars on the edge of their price limit who get hit when the economy crashes and need to dump their cars for cheap. Someone who is paying 400k for a Countach is someone who has quite a bit of liquid funds. I see the same being true with the Diablo market.

Your FACTS when considering Diablos from what I've seen would be incorrect for USA cars.

Yes, COLLECTOR CARS have had a good 5 year run. The difference here is that until 2 years ago, few considered a Diablo a collector car......just an old car.

I'm a roadster guy, particularly '99s, and I spent 2 1/2 years gathering every shread of information I could. That included tracking cars for sale, and deep dives into forums to get historical pricing.

Five years ago (late 2009), a sub 10k mile '99 roadster was valued at $180k to $190k ask. Over the next 4 years, they went down to $150k ask (or in some cases less, as I paid $121k for a 9k mle car). Now they are at $210k ask or so.....WHEN you can find one that a dealer isn't being stupid about.

So the real 5 year difference on a good '99 roadster is about 15%.

I don't think you will ever be able to buy a good '99 for $120k again, but when a similar car with a less desireable color is asking $295k 9 months later the market is gone wacky, and a correction is just up the bend.

Your FACTS when considering Diablos from what I've seen would be incorrect for USA cars.

Yes, COLLECTOR CARS have had a good 5 year run. The difference here is that until 2 years ago, few considered a Diablo a collector car......just an old car.

I'm a roadster guy, particularly '99s, and I spent 2 1/2 years gathering every shread of information I could. That included tracking cars for sale, and deep dives into forums to get historical pricing.

Five years ago (late 2009), a sub 10k mile '99 roadster was valued at $180k to $190k ask. Over the next 4 years, they went down to $150k ask (or in some cases less, as I paid $121k for a 9k mle car). Now they are at $210k ask or so.....WHEN you can find one that a dealer isn't being stupid about.

So the real 5 year difference on a good '99 roadster is about 15%.

I don't think you will ever be able to buy a good '99 for $120k again, but when a similar car with a less desireable color is asking $295k 9 months later the market is gone wacky, and a correction is just up the bend.

Ok, but you are singling out ONE year and ONE model, the FACTS are based on what I posted, all Diablos. I stand by my post and the facts. Asking 259K on that car, and it selling for that are 2 different things.

Mmmmm, OK, how did you collect your FACTS? I can tell you it takes a monumental effort to be knowledgeable about even one variant of this car. So since you were wrong about roadsters, how are you SO sure you nailed everything else?

And the ask is $295k, not $259k.....and when we called them to inquire about it because I was advising a purchaser they dropped down to $225k without any effort at all (my guy ended up buying a '97 roadster).

So if you are saying that prices have increased say 30% over the past two years, I agree and have seen many examples of this. But 5 years ago, prices were higher than 2-3 years ago.

Mmmmm, OK, how did you collect your FACTS? I can tell you it takes a monumental effort to be knowledgeable about even one variant of this car. So since you were wrong about roadsters, how are you SO sure you nailed everything else?

And the ask is $295k, not $259k.....and when we called them to inquire about it because I was advising a purchaser they dropped down to $225k without any effort at all (my guy ended up buying a '97 roadster).

So if you are saying that prices have increased say 30% over the past two years, I agree and have seen many examples of this. But 5 years ago, prices were higher than 2-3 years ago.

Ummmm, here. I would venture to say, they did do a bit of research.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/ar...five-years.html

The fact that they were so quick to drop the price when you called them, even more proves asking and getting are very different.

AGAIN, this FACT was taking ALL Diablos averaged together, not just the one year and model you keep referring to.

I could do the same thing with say a "Jota" and sway the numbers even higher. But that is not a true over all picture of the market.

LOL.....a publication called "This Money" obviously is in tune with the Diablo market. OK, they list a price of 80k pounds for Diablos from 1990-2001. Sure, I'll take every SE, 6.0, and '99 roadster they can find for $120k (current exchange rates). They use a roadster as an example in the photo so you can't claim they are just talking about ragged-out '91s.