Anyone driven I-40 from OKC --> PHX this time of year?

uzzirider

This weekend I am looking to drive interstate 40 in a Mercedes SL from OKC to PHX, but some friends warned me about road conditions due to bad weather, ice, etc. Suggested I look into taking the southern route which should be warmer, but also is 3+ hours longer... Anyone have any advice??

I live in okc weather is good right now but we are expecting a front to move in Thursday and if you look at the weather predictions for the i40 Corredor it looks like it should be snowing on Thursday from Amarillo on west

This weekend I am looking to drive interstate 40 in a Mercedes SL from OKC to PHX, but some friends warned me about road conditions due to bad weather, ice, etc. Suggested I look into taking the southern route which should be warmer, but also is 3+ hours longer... Anyone have any advice??

The issue you're going to run into is past the petrified forest up through Gallup, NM the elevation is near 7,000ft. You get any bad weather and you'll be fucked.

Just this week alone Gallup will be in the teens overnight with a high in the low 40's, and it's clear with virtually 0% chance of rain. By the weekend the high is in the high 50's, must safer driving weather.

It's a relatively short drive, i'd leave early and try to be going through the high elevation areas in the middle of the day. Unless you get a freak storm it should be a safe run.

Thanks guys, my timing kinda sucks since I'll be leaving OKC about 3-4pm saturday. At least that's how it stands now. Weather through Gallup looks to be clear that night, but dang cold. I'm not opposed to spending the night somewhere along the route, if necessary...

I don't know about this year but I LITERALLY almost died twice in one trip on that stretch of freeway. Once in Arizona when it froze so bad that they had to close the freeway with the cars on it. We actually met a trucker who offered to let us bunk in his truck if we were stuck all night. The other in Oklahoma was My car spinning on an icy bridge after slush got thrown in my windshield by a semi. I slid into the outer rail then did a 360. Somehow I just hit the gas after the 360 and kept going and then pulled over. Somehow no damage to my car. The 18 wheeler stopped too. He was scared that we were hurt after seeing what happened.

Take the southern route through Tuscon...it's only 100 miles more and no drama. Conditions on the 40 can change quickly this time of year.

Supposed to be snow in Western NM, Eastern AZ all along i40 from about wed-thursday...will then push east and could Eastern NM/OK Thursday-Frida. You may miss it all if you are waiting until Saturday. You will be about 6-7 hours from Phoenix from ABQ. (Gallup is 4-5 hours from Phoenix depending on route). If you are leaving that late in the afternoon, stay in Albuquerque and finish up the next day...that would be my suggestion. If you are planning on going to Flagstaff and then heading down to Phoenix from there, the only towns between ABQ and Flag are Gallup, Holbrook, and Winslow. None of which are too appealing to stay in.

Yeah, true... Only 100 miles more. Hmm, got my eye on the weather and it's supposed to be totally clear this Saturday. I should have a smooth shot on the quick route through the 'danger zone', but will have to keep an eye on conditions. I'm wanting to blast the whole thing in one go, starting early Saturday afternoon. In case of unintended narcolepsy, sounds like ABQ is the last reasonable stopping point.

Google maps suggests heading south at Holbrook (before hitting Flag) and passing through Payson. yay! here's a pic from my last lovely visit to payson, good times:

post-59242-1421874223.jpg

Yeah, true... Only 100 miles more. Hmm, got my eye on the weather and it's supposed to be totally clear this Saturday. I should have a smooth shot on the quick route through the 'danger zone', but will have to keep an eye on conditions. I'm wanting to blast the whole thing in one go, starting early Saturday afternoon. In case of unintended narcolepsy, sounds like ABQ is the last reasonable stopping point.

Google maps suggests heading south at Holbrook (before hitting Flag) and passing through Payson. yay! here's a pic from my last lovely visit to payson, good times:

420334_3626296620663_1138363175_n.jpg

:icon_mrgreen:

post-59242-1421874223.jpg

What'd you expect from a city named Pay son.