Any Engineers In The House?

IanMan

For the amount of education involved Nuclear doesn't pay shit, and you can thank the government/politics for that.

Unless you are good at dotting your I's, crossing your T's and are willing to travel to the sites. The second a utility realizes you aren't a clown and you can deliver on time and under budget or know the system better than they do the clouds part and money rains down...or something like that. You get hooked up as a Start Up Test Engineer...

:eusa_dance:

No sarcasm. Remember my advice after you were worried about the "issue" at the Ukrainian nuclear power plant?

Ahh okay, stupid me :eusa_wall:

As Hannibal said, Oil/Gas is where the big bucks are. Move to Tx and you'll come out of school with a $100k starting salary. I would totally do this but my wife told me I don't want to live in Houston. :eusa_wall: For the amount of education involved Nuclear doesn't pay shit, and you can thank the government/politics for that. Likewise, Aero sucks currently and is super unpredictable due to government politics as well. A good friend of mine has a masters degree in Aerospace Engineering and he does tech support for the maintenance guys at Boeing. The pay is ok but about the only thing he "engineers" is how much cream he puts in his coffee.

Is the high pay in oil/gas because the field is truly high-paying or more due to the current energy boom going on? For example, could the oil/gas industry become like the tech industry post-Dot Com bubble burst in some years?

Unless you are good at dotting your I's, crossing your T's and are willing to travel to the sites. The second a utility realizes you aren't a clown and you can deliver on time and under budget or know the system better than they do the clouds part and money rains down...or something like that. You get hooked up as a Start Up Test Engineer...

:eusa_dance:

So you are saying there are a lot of clowns in nuclear engineering? :eusa_think: :)

Is the high pay in oil/gas because the field is truly high-paying or more due to the current energy boom going on? For example, could the oil/gas industry become like the tech industry post-Dot Com bubble burst in some years?

Follow the money. IMO there will never be a "bubble" on a consumable commodity such as oil in the same way there can be on a tech industry that doesn't have tangible products. I'm not saying that nothing in tech is tangible, but the dot-com nonsense was a lot of money flooding on speculation with no revenue stream or monetization.

IMO a lot of what we are seeing now is just a simple supply/demand being pushed by some big business strong arming.

Follow the money. IMO there will never be a "bubble" on a consumable commodity such as oil in the same way there can be on a tech industry that doesn't have tangible products. I'm not saying that nothing in tech is tangible, but the dot-com nonsense was a lot of money flooding on speculation with no revenue stream or monetization.

IMO a lot of what we are seeing now is just a simple supply/demand being pushed by some big business strong arming.

Yes, but the oil/gas industry has historically been prone to cycles, with some periods where people have lost lots of money. It also operates on speculation to some degree as there isn't always a guarantee that oil will be obtained when the investment is made.

Yes, but the oil/gas industry has historically been prone to cycles, with some periods where people have lost lots of money. It also operates on speculation to some degree as there isn't always a guarantee that oil will be obtained when the investment is made.

And none of that is a "bubble". A bubble would refer to a market correction outside the control of the major players. Everything we are seeing in oil is just puppet strings of the big players swinging their collective dicks around and seeing who they can squeeze out. If you don't think they are in absolute control of it you are sorely mistaken.

If you want to have a discussion on oil/gas commodities then start another thread, it isn't at all relevant to what DOC_K asked.