Half the cylinders not firing, ideas?

Rush05

Half the cylinders on my 2004 Murci are not firing. Check engine light on both sides. It sat all winter and had a dead battery. I replaced the battery with a new one.

Any idea what it could be?

How do you know the one side is not firing? Is there no ignition to one side? What OBD codes are you getting? I had an issue where one side throttle bodies wasn't working so one side ran shit

Plug your car in when its sitting at all times....all these problems seems to be from low or dead batteries for the most part. I have never had any of these issues in 3 lamborghinis and countless other cars and bikes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, new member here, but I thought I could possibly help.

My LP640 developed the same problem. I originally thought it was in a limp mode, and plugged in a very basic OBD reader which registered a crank sensor fault. I replaced the crank sensor and it didn't solve the problem. 1 bank was running, and 1 not. It would barely move under it's own steam.

We re-read the car with a Leonardo/LaRa diagnostics tool. The report was the same: Crank sensor. We checked each manifold with a lazer thermometer, and confirmed the right hand bank was not running. I swapped left and right ECU's, and the problem remained on the same bank. So by the process of elimination I was sure it would be a cam sensor on that bank. Hey-presto, one of the cam sensor plugs was not engaged all of the way. One cam sensor plug clicked in properly, and it's now running perfectly.

The car had not long had a clutch change, so I figure the plug was disturbed then.

I was a bit surprised that the Leanardo diagnostics we used didn't pick up the fault specifically as a cam sensor, and just reported it as crank sensor. But I'm just happy to get it running properly again.

So in summary: It could possibly be a cam sensor fault.

My LP640 developed the same problem. I originally thought it was in a limp mode, and plugged in a very basic OBD reader which registered a crank sensor fault. I replaced the crank sensor and it didn't solve the problem. 1 bank was running, and 1 not. It would barely move under it's own steam.

We re-read the car with a Leonardo/LaRa diagnostics tool. The report was the same: Crank sensor. We checked each manifold with a lazer thermometer, and confirmed the right hand bank was not running. I swapped left and right ECU's, and the problem remained on the same bank. So by the process of elimination I was sure it would be a cam sensor on that bank. Hey-presto, one of the cam sensor plugs was not engaged all of the way. One cam sensor plug clicked in properly, and it's now running perfectly.

The car had not long had a clutch change, so I figure the plug was disturbed then.

I was a bit surprised that the Leanardo diagnostics we used didn't pick up the fault specifically as a cam sensor, and just reported it as crank sensor. But I'm just happy to get it running properly again.

So in summary: It could possibly be a cam sensor fault.

Great 1st post.

welcome

Great 1st post.

:iamwithstupid:

And it will be an even better first post if it resolves Rush05's problem!!

Welcome :icon_thumleft:

Thank you for the replies. I read the cam sensor issue in another thread also. As it ends up my mechanic ended up diagnosing it as a bad connection to the fuel pump. The car now runs well.

I hope this thread can help people in the future.