Importing a car from Spain

CallMeJarob

Does anyone have any experience with this?

The car is 30 years old so it meets the EPA and DOT antique exemptions, but what do I need to be aware of? What kind of process am I in for to be able to register the car in the US?

Thanks!

Cool thanks!

I've been reading all of the old threads and articles but none of them (that I have found) mention the process for a 30 year old vehicle.

From my research it is rather straight forward and easy.

Its a pain in the ass. Several things are different doing it from Canada though. Especially when it comes to registering. The easy part is customs, basically two or three forms, very easy to fill out. Pay duty. The hard part is the registration with the DMV. Even former Canadian cars can be a pain and they have the same VINS as the U.S.

I imported a 50+ year old car from France to NY a couple of years ago-I suspect importing from Spain is no different. In a nutshell, the entire process took about 2 1/2 months from the time of purchase until it arrived, via boat, to NY. I used Martin Cosdell as the customs broker and was rather disappointed with them-they refused to return phone calls, did not keep me informed on what was happening and generally provided poor service for what they charged. In broad terms, expect the estimate that you are provided to be low by 25% and the whole thing to take 25% longer than what the shipper tells you. Once my car arrived in the US things went smoothly but each state and each DMV has their own quirks that can make/break your whole experience. Good Luck-What kind of car?

It is easier to use a customs broker when you are shipping. Canada to the U.S is easy because there is no shipping involved. Even though customs is very easy, its just forms and paying duty. Its like applying for a passport in complexity.