So my Countach....died

Allan-Herbie

Have you checked the wires running from the MSD box to the 2 separate magnetic pick ups on the side of the distributor?

These wires are extremely light gauge and can break in the plastic sheathing or at the terminal ends.

Often, when they break, it is NOT A COMPLETE CATASTROPHIC BREAK. They will often appear to be in good shape and intact. However, because the wires and terminals are still encased in a plastic sheath, they will flex and move around causing them to intermittently lose connection.

I had to replace the pick up wires on my car for this very reason.

Damn thing would quit, I would get out, wiggle a bunch of wires and it would inexplicably start right up.

Frustrating as hell.

I finally got it to "no go" in my garage, ran a test light to the wires and found a break in the wire at the terminal end by the distributor.

I replaced the wires and terminal ends and solved the problem.

Good luck hope it helps.

That is what I suggested a week ago, at least the magnetic pick ups.

Yes I agree the wires should be checked as well as if these have a poor connection you have no spark.

How about swapping out the magnetic pick ups on the distributor. It is just a guess. You can check them however that is when they are cold, when they get hot they may give up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can fix that for you.

All you have to do is take your wife out to dinner in the car and it won't start.

Trust me this will work to make it not work, it never fails. :lol2:

Or drive to Lynwood... I guarantee that fucker will stall in the middle of Wilmington and 103rd.... And Jesus himself couldn't bring it back to life.

I can fix that for you.

All you have to do is take your wife out to dinner in the car and it won't start.

Trust me this will work to make it not work, it never fails. :lol2:

Ha.. I think my wife has been in the car 2x..

• 2 weeks later...

So as of now, Ive tried to get the car not to start, like 300x, and it always starts. Today I pulled the connector ends off the ignition switch and didnt notice anything wrong. I also went around the back to see the wires off the distributor and they are seemingly in good shape, and they look as they are new. You can see the purple and green going off the distributor, and then into the coil box.

20150624_175030_resized.jpg

20150624_175141_resized.jpg

20150624_175838_resized.jpg

20150624_175910_resized.jpg

• 4 months later...

Allan, did you ever figure out your problem? This happened to me and I haven't driven the car much since then. It was beautiful here today so I decided to give it another try. Ran great all day, about 60 miles in 78F weather no issues. Tonight I started it up to drive home. Drove about 4 miles, then sitting at a light it just shut off. Won't start....had to push it and leave it at a Starbucks. Pissed.......

Hopefully it will start back up in the morning, but really need to figure it out. Any suggestions will help.

Thanks

Dave

Went to get it this morning and it fired right up and drove home with no issues.

As I slept on it, I figured that both times it happened was at night after a short time running. Which means the only real difference in the other drives is that the lights are on. I'm wondering if the load of the lights have an effect on some wiring, which in turn is causing something to trip or a relay to overheat or ... which then resets overnight and it fires back up and runs great. Once home I let it idle with the lights on for 15 minutes and no problem, so it didn't prove my theory; but still think it is electrical.

Open for any suggestions...