Home garage lift recommendations!

alpha6164

Alan;

Bolting to the ground is the only way to go when storing another car underneath. Seeing how the garage is in Brea and not on a specific fault line, the entire building should move in unison. This will prevent the lift from shifting and damaging the car below.

As for lifts made in China. Look around, just about everything you touch is made in China. My thoughts were, if it is good enough to be used in most service centers and dealerships, It must be good enough for my personal use.

Most important advice I can lend on a four post, SPEND the money and get a decent one.. don't buy an Asian made POS. Buy something decent that was made in USA.

Alan;

Bolting to the ground is the only way to go when storing another car underneath. Seeing how the garage is in Brea and not on a specific fault line, the entire building should move in unison. This will prevent the lift from shifting and damaging the car below.

Brea is basically on the Whittier/Elsinore fault, which is one of the biggest in So Cal if my geography and geology are accurate...

...my understanding is that having the lift base and building moving in unison is exactly what you don't want in an earthquake, as the motion is then transferred to the raised lift and the unsecured car. While the lift may move and potentially damage things around it if unsecured, less movement within the lift itself reduces the chance of lift failure and/or the car shifting off of it.

Anyway, we can compare notes after the Big One hits...

Great thread...debating this now myself, have yet to pour my pad, laying radiant heat so have to pick the model so we can run the tubes around the anchor points. Was leaning towards a pair of the BP double wide HD-9SW or SWX, a little concerned by some of the comments, but others seem to find no issue with BP? 12' ceilings...

17121280032_db5e168bf3_k_d.jpg

Im trying to find this, or something like this....

This gaze box is pretty cool! Any idea on price? I need one at my current home...

Here is the view of one of the garages from the mud room. I went with the vertical lift door so that there would be no ceiling obstructions. I think it will work well. We are on a river, so a lot of space is created in a garage b/c the house is lifted, if that makes sense. The cool thing is that the car on the lift will be in the window!

lift.jpg