What's typically involved in lowering the Murcielago?

alecela

In my relentless search for new tires: http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76815

I'm now leaning toward the option of bigger tires... (Pilot Super Sport 255/35R19 & 345/30R19)...

However, I'm slightly concerned about whether the taller tires might rub against any fender as I suspect the previous owner has also lowered the car...

iP6__9980_.jpg

So now I'm contemplating 'raising' the front end back to factory heights and here comes my questions:

1: What would be typically done when lowering the car? Replacing the spring or shock or both?

2: Short of actually buying the tires and trying it on, is there anyway to check/measure the clearance of the new tires against the fender/inner wheel wall before hand?

Tx again for any pointer!

1. Depending on how low you go, you could lower a Murcie by just adjusting the adjustable spring perch. So you could raise it a bit by adjusting the spring perch as well.

2. It's best to test fit than to try to calculate.

You'll rub against your front bumper with those tires not the fender. My car rubbed with 245/35/19 tires so I had to change them out to 245/30/19.

There are two different style coilover bodies for the LP640/LP670.

1. Has a rubber boot on the bottom of the threads that you have to unscrew to access the flat keys.

2. Has circular keys in the body (at bottom of threads) that are exposed.

The spring perch for both is a flat style key. Buy the type of tool needed for your keys, you need two tools (one for perch and one for coilover body).

Put the tool in the keys, hold the coilover body while twisting the spring perch right (compressing the spring) to raise the car.

You'll rub against your front bumper with those tires not the fender. My car rubbed with 245/35/19 tires so I had to change them out to 245/30/19.

Actually I just realized I had a typo. I meant Michelin PSS 245/35/19 + 345/30/19. Nonetheless your example worried me a bit... May I ask what kind of rear tires are you running?

There are two different style coilover bodies for the LP640/LP670.

1. Has a rubber boot on the bottom of the threads that you have to unscrew to access the flat keys.

2. Has circular keys in the body (at bottom of threads) that are exposed.

The spring perch for both is a flat style key. Buy the type of tool needed for your keys, you need two tools (one for perch and one for coilover body).

Put the tool in the keys, hold the coilover body while twisting the spring perch right (compressing the spring) to raise the car.

What'bout the original murcielago? :-)

Actually I just realized I had a typo. I meant Michelin PSS 245/35/19 + 345/30/19. Nonetheless your example worried me a bit... May I ask what kind of rear tires are you running?

I've got 345/30/19 in the rear. My car is dropped an inch all around and I don't have any rubbing issues.

I've got 345/30/19 in the rear. My car is dropped an inch all around and I don't have any rubbing issues.

Wait so you're running 245/30/19 vs. 345/30/19 and your AWD are fully intact? I must admit I'm surprised to see this as this combo seems to measure significantly different than the factory ratio between front & rear. May I ask the manufacturer & model of your tires?

BTW, super cool to run into more and more 6-speed LP640 owners like whiteout & you. I only wish I could have found one locally...

Wait so you're running 245/30/19 vs. 345/30/19 and your AWD are fully intact? I must admit I'm surprised to see this as this combo seems to measure significantly different than the factory ratio between front & rear. May I ask the manufacturer & model of your tires?

BTW, super cool to run into more and more 6-speed LP640 owners like whiteout & you. I only wish I could have found one locally...

Sorry I should have mentioned I got Whitout's RWD conversion kit. My point was that a 255/35/19 or 245/35/19 tire would rub. Not sure if a 235/35/19 tire - which is still within the AWD threshold - would rub or not.

Thanks I love the 6-speed. It took a while to find one but it was well worth the wait.

Sorry I should have mentioned I got Whitout's RWD conversion kit. My point was that a 255/35/19 or 245/35/19 tire would rub. Not sure if a 235/35/19 tire - which is still within the AWD threshold - would rub or not.

Thanks I love the 6-speed. It took a while to find one but it was well worth the wait.

Thanks for the clarification. So basically with your car lowered by 1inch, 245/35/19 w/ 25.75" diameter rubbed against the front bumper, and you backed down to 245/30/19 w/ 24.8" diameter which is almost within the original 18" factory spec...

This is indeed what I was worrying about, although I didn't expect the tires to rub horizontally against the bumper...

I've been gathering different tires/wheel combo off various sources for Murcielago/LP640 and it seems that people had been able to fit upto 25.5" diameter front tires such as 235/35/19 and 235/30/20...

Whiteout, looks like the 245/35/19 vs. 345/30/19 Micheline PSS might not work afterall... :-(

I'm going to run a 235/35/19 and a 345/30/19 and I'm willing to bet that it will work just fine.

Please keep us posted. If it does work, that would be a very valuable datapoint. Are you still running w/ Toyo r888?