918 vs Pirelli Aventador

Nuvolari612

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love my Aventador, but the 918 humiliates it off the line in real life 99 times out of a 100.

Exactly, my 918 destroys my Aventador everywhere across the performance spectrum. Not even close!

The 918 is a raw beast...but hot damn does that V12 sound 100x better. I'd love to see a 918 VS an SV on the track.

The 918 is a raw beast...but hot damn does that V12 sound 100x better. I'd love to see a 918 VS an SV on the track.

Agree

918 vs SV who would have thought a super car could run down (pun intended) a hyper car :)

Agree

918 vs SV who would have thought a super car could run down (pun intended) a hyper car :)

I still wanna know what the SV could do on the ring with a clean lap...In any case, both are awesome in their respective ways :icon_super:

I still wanna know what the SV could do on the ring with a clean lap...In any case, both are awesome in their respective ways :icon_super:

Guessing 2 seconds could be shaven.

918 broke sub 7 min first plus it's a roadster but if the SV had a full day with race team support spare car it would have erased the 918's time all on a modified platform speaks volumes as to how driven Lamborghini is about performance.

Guessing 2 seconds could be shaven.

918 broke sub 7 min first plus it's a roadster but if the SV had a full day with race team support spare car it would have erased the 918's time all on a modified platform speaks volumes as to how driven Lamborghini is about performance.

If you think the 918's 6:57 lap is all it got and the SV can match the 918 on the track, you are in a world of surprise.

Let's wait until someone put the SV on the Laguna Seca track and see how many seconds it can shave from the regular Aventador's lap of 1:35s. The current production car record lap is 1.29.89 in a non-Weissach 918, you think the SV can shave 5 seconds from the regular Aventador's time? :eusa_think:

I just came back from an airport strip event with a few friends. The best I did in my 918 was 0-60 in 2.3s, 0-186 in 18.7s and 0-60 in e-mode in 5.1s.

If you think the 918's 6:57 lap is all it got and the SV can match the 918 on the track, you are in a world of surprise.

Let's wait until someone put the SV on the Laguna Seca track and see how many seconds it can shave from the regular Aventador's lap of 1:35s. The current production car record lap is 1.29.89 in a non-Weissach 918, you think the SV can shave 5 seconds from the regular Aventador's time? :eusa_think:

I just came back from an airport strip event with a few friends. The best I did in my 918 was 0-60 in 2.3s, 0-186 in 18.7s and 0-60 in e-mode in 5.1s.

I'm sure our resident google exec will get us real SV track times when his car comes in. and he can drive!

it will be interesting to see either way.

Laguna Seca - where did that come from along with the 0 - 60 times. We all know that Seca is a perfect fit for the 918 can the SV shave 5 at Laguna ... time will tell.

Ring - the SV was pulled off and told to pack it in after announcing sub 7 during a tire testing not a team of race engineers like the 918 along with a stack of computers on the passenger seat and a back up car for an entire day.

There is no denying the 918 is a fast roadster but there is a valid point that the SV coupe can run as well if not faster than the 918's current ring time. Does the 918 have more I doubt it again they had a whole team of people and two cars Porsche is not going to return with that type of effort and doubt an owner is going to try a sub 7 min time.

The 918 years of development offering the latest and greatest tech a brand new engine from a world class racing program whereas the SV is a modified Aventador from a little tiny company with a little tiny budget.

918 guys always freak out about their prize being 2nd best - it's not a matter of if it's when so enjoy it but it won't last forever and it was nearly lost on a tire test.

Love the 918 - really it's a great car that does everything.

The 918 record will be broken someday, but not by the Aventador SV

The Nordschleife SV was not running street legal tires. On street tires, SV would be 7:10+.

And you know this how?

The 918 record will be broken someday, but not by the Aventador SV

The Nordschleife SV was not running street legal tires. On street tires, SV would be 7:10+.

That day they tested a Corsa street legal that can be ordered at no extra charge - of course every magazine along with Pirelli Lamborghini and everyone at the Ring could be fibbing vs you.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lamborghini/a...tador-sv-review

http://www.evo.co.uk/lamborghini/aventador-sv

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/lamborg...uto/first-drive

Laguna Seca - where did that come from along with the 0 - 60 times. We all know that Seca is a perfect fit for the 918 can the SV shave 5 at Laguna ... time will tell.

Ring - the SV was pulled off and told to pack it in after announcing sub 7 during a tire testing not a team of race engineers like the 918 along with a stack of computers on the passenger seat and a back up car for an entire day.

To answer your questions:

1. Laguna Seca lap time for Aventador comes from Motor Trend Best Car of the Year test. Randy did the lap. 1:35

2. 0-60 and 0-186 comes from my vbox at the private airfield that my friends and I rented out a few weeks ago.

3. The SV had a full roll cage bolted on, is that an option you can spec on your SV? Guess not huh? No race team at the Ring for the SV? How about 3 techs from Lamborghini with their laptop hooked up and a few Pirelli guys?

I think it's awesome that Lamborghini pulled off a sub 7min lap time for the SV. It's certainly a "FU" message to companies like Ferrari and Mclaren in regards to their hypercars. But don't think you are getting a bargain hypercar either, because it's not.

I own an Aventador coupe and a 918, so I know the performance difference between the two. I have driven the SV coupe a few times and it's definitely an improvement over the regular Aventador, but not in the same magnitude as the 918 over the regular Aventador. This is the reason why I chose not to get the SV. I somehow feel Lamborghini will come out with a more extreme version of the Aventador platform as a swan song.

As for your "918 is fast for a roadster" comment, it's a non-issue. You can treat it as a coupe. The torsional stiffness on the 918 is 44,000NM, and Aventador coupe is 35,000NM. Your CGT is about 36,000NM and your SV Roadster will be well less than 30,000NM.

To answer your questions:

1. Laguna Seca lap time for Aventador comes from Motor Trend Best Car of the Year test. Randy did the lap. 1:35

2. 0-60 and 0-186 comes from my vbox at the private airfield that my friends and I rented out a few weeks ago.

3. The SV had a full roll cage bolted on, is that an option you can spec on your SV? Guess not huh? No race team at the Ring for the SV? How about 3 techs from Lamborghini with their laptop hooked up and a few Pirelli guys?

I think it's awesome that Lamborghini pulled off a sub 7min lap time for the SV. It's certainly a "FU" message to companies like Ferrari and Mclaren in regards to their hypercars. But don't think you are getting a bargain hypercar either, because it's not.

I own an Aventador coupe and a 918, so I know the performance difference between the two. I have driven the SV coupe a few times and it's definitely an improvement over the regular Aventador, but not in the same magnitude as the 918 over the regular Aventador. This is the reason why I chose not to get the SV. I somehow feel Lamborghini will come out with a more extreme version of the Aventador platform as a swan song.

As for your "918 is fast for a roadster" comment, it's a non-issue. You can treat it as a coupe. The torsional stiffness on the 918 is 44,000NM, and Aventador coupe is 35,000NM. Your CGT is about 36,000NM and your SV Roadster will be well less than 30,000NM.

Again we were discussing the ring not doubting the numbers but tossing out Seca is premature and we know the 918 lays down more power at a place like Seca.

The roll cage - smart move in my opinion and the tech team from Lambo Pirelli vs Porsche there is no comparison and you know that.

Regardless of numbers dollars specs a battery dual clutch bores the car guy in me when I can have a NA V12.

The 918's numbers all around are impressive but it's also the only AWD hyper car and at 165 it disengages so a longer faster track or one that requires full stability at high speeds will be to another cars (SV) advantage at places like the ring.

I still think the SV is a bargain hyper car at 530k msrp putting down those kinds of numbers with only 500 SVR's being produced.

we even have a member who owns a few hyper cars & SV and confirmed this.

And you know this how?

Happy to elaborate. My comments are an educated guess based on the following

From the video...the significantly higher cornering speed of the SV compared to the 918 points to a significant tire advantage.

No specific disclosure from Lamborghini or Pirelli as to the tires on the Nordshleife SV. Given the SV time's publicity, I can't imagine Pirelli especially would pass on that opportunity if it were a production street legal tire.

From my couple of hours of track time in the 918 and standard Aventador - big difference in track performance. Given the 7:25 time of standard Aventador, I would guess 7:10 to 7:15 for the SV on street tires.

With all that said, the SV's time, even if not on street legal tires, is no joke. Ferrari's track only 599XX managed only 6:58 on slicks. The SV is the most exciting and desirable car around 500k. An absolute monster and there is nothing else in the world quite as exciting without spending 2x or 3x.

Again we were discussing the ring not doubting the numbers but tossing out Seca is premature and we know the 918 lays down more power at a place like Seca.

The 918's numbers all around are impressive but it's also the only AWD hyper car and at 165 it disengages so a longer faster track or one that requires full stability at high speeds will be to another cars (SV) advantage at places like the ring.

You are incorrect in assuming that. What you didn't know is that the spec that the 918 ran in its record attempt was an early development prototype. The 918 that ran at the Leguna Seca test had 4 major updates done to it since the 918 prototype version. According to Treynor, as it was his P1 who ran against the factory standard 918, the 918 was laying down approximately 930hp (based on the acceleration figures from corner to corner, and some simple math).

Another major power update just came out for the 918, which gives it more punch and a looser rear end.

At the end of the day, these hypercars (P1, LaF, 918) are in a different class altogether. Unless you have driven them, you won't be able to comprehend just how much faster these cars are over the rest.

From the video...the significantly higher cornering speed of the SV compared to the 918 points to a significant tire advantage.

No specific disclosure from Lamborghini or Pirelli as to the tires on the Nordshleife SV. Given the SV time's publicity, I can't imagine Pirelli especially would pass on that opportunity if it were a production street legal tire.

My couple of hours of track time in the 918 and standard Aventador. Given the 7:25 time of standard Aventador, I would guess 7:10 to 7:15 for the SV given its performance improvements over the standard car.

And I doubt that the SV lap was a casual attempt given how important Nordshleife times are to marketing and how every manufacturer pulls out all stops.

With all that said, I think that the SV is the most exciting and desirable car around 500k. An absolute monster and there is nothing else in the world quite as exciting without spending 2x or 3x.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Another well respected member on Fchat, who happens to making his own hyper car, pointed out this issue on the SV record lap. Since he and his team have extensive experience at the Ring, he wrote that the cornering speed on the SV would indicate a non-production slick tire because the cornering speed is just way too high for a mere Corsa tire.

My couple of hours of track time in the 918 and standard Aventador. Given the 7:25 time of standard Aventador, I would guess 7:10 to 7:15 for the SV given its performance improvements over the standard car.

And I doubt that the SV lap was a casual attempt given how important Nordshleife times are to marketing and how every manufacturer pulls out all stops.

With all that said, I think that the SV is the most exciting and desirable car around 500k. An absolute monster and there is nothing else in the world quite as exciting without spending 2x or 3x.

Higher cornering - the SV is simply a faster car flat out check the tape.

The 918 disengage the motors at 165 mph.

The SV vs the standard Aventador - SV has been tweaked stiffened lightened and re - mapped to match the Veneno engine which was taken straight from the parts bin

I love car talk and certainly do not mean to offend anyone but unless you know something it's unfair to call foul play especially on this forum.

You are incorrect in assuming that. What you didn't know is that the spec that the 918 ran in its record attempt was an early development prototype. The 918 that ran at the Leguna Seca test had 4 major updates done to it since the 918 prototype version. According to Treynor, as it was his P1 who ran against the factory standard 918, the 918 was laying down approximately 930hp (based on the acceleration figures from corner to corner, and some simple math).

Another major power update just came out for the 918, which gives it more punch and a looser rear end.

At the end of the day, these hypercars (P1, LaF, 918) are in a different class altogether. Unless you have driven them, you won't be able to comprehend just how much faster these cars are over the rest.

I do know that and we have seen all the new hyper super cars tweaked over time also agreed the 918 lays down more hp out of the corners.

So it's fair to say that we can play the Mclaren game and boost hp re - map all sorts of things til the end of time.

The nest version of the SV limited is 770 hp - Lambo can re -map the SV then we can talk exhaust etc and at the end of the day where does it end which brings us to flat out racing and that's fine as we all know he who has the most money will always win the race. Back full circle the price of the SV alone vs the 918 is a phenomenal story.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Another well respected member on Fchat, who happens to making his own hyper car, pointed out this issue on the SV record lap. Since he and his team have extensive experience at the Ring, he wrote that the cornering speed on the SV would indicate a non-production slick tire because the cornering speed is just way too high for a mere Corsa tire.

So Jim G who also wasn't there makes a claim to know that Pirelli and Lambo flat out lied by testing a new tire for the SV - we all know Pirelli supports Jim so I would love to see that post from f chat if Jim had the scoop he would be silly to call out a sponsor and two if he did as his ego is quite large he better be right.

Heard this a million times yet no one has a picture of the tire - it's was a tire test day using a Pirelli driver which every mfg in the world performs but in this case it was a tire manufacture driver that alone shows the SV was simply doing what it does vs a Porsche race team.

I was extremely skeptical of the SV - looked and read everything that was out there and have yet to hear anything but tears of jealousy and that's Lamboghini's problem - why?

Again the 918 is awd - do you hear Ferrari or Mclaren calling foul ... no because they don't care all I see and hear are the 918 owners calling foul.

The CGT was good enough on day one they left it alone - the 959 Porsche kept updating the car now again on the 918 that's a game that again he who has the most money wins.

Pirelli made special handcut racingslicks for the Huayra that went around the Top Gear track and got caught. First they claimed the tires were PZeros, then "corrected" themselves and said the tires were Trofeo Rs wich wasnt correct either... So its not like Pirelli together with a manufacturer hasnt "cheated" before.

If you look at the Nurburgring lap with the SV, you can tell that after about half the lap the tires are done, and I find it weird that a regular tire by Pirelli would be toast after just half a lap..

Iv'e always been suspicious about the insanely fast SV lap since the time was released, however I guess we wont find out what tires were actually on until we get to see a picture published of the tires, wich I doubt will happened im afraid.