Am I due for a new battery?

alecela

Now I think mine really crapped out. Before I put my tender on it, it read 11.80, which is way low. Then after 15 minutes of tender, it read 12.90. It charged way too fast which has always meant bad battery from my other experiences with batteries. I was just going to go to Newport Lambo and let them change it out, but the steepness of their driveway entrance scares me, and bedsides, my car may not start up at all now anyway. So in case I decide to do it myself, can anyone help with these questions below?

1. Before I jack the car up, should I turn the kill switch to off at the rear in the engine bay to change the battery?

2. In the photo shown, is the proper place to jack the car up on that long frame piece near the rear of the car? I was initially thinking to jack farther under the car, but maybe at the end is ok? Once up, it looks like the jack stands can go on each side of the jack area toward the outsides of the frame.

3. Not sure how heavy the stock wheel & tire may be, but if pretty heavy, I may put my second jack under the tire to help support when I get the wheel off, so it doesn't drop down, unless the wife helps lift it, ha ha.

4. I suppose it is self explanatory in removing the wheel well panel once I get the wheel off, and the battery too once I get in there unless there is something else to know.

5. As far as the battery itself, anyone know the brand and the battery number so that I get the battery with the proper size and terminals correct? Would like to get that ready before starting the process rather than later.

6. I presume at some point in the process the alarm will go off, but if it is only as loud as the usual chirp, then I won't have a heart attack and just disarm with the key fob.

7. What should the wheel torque be once I get the wheel back on?

8. I presume that would be it, unless there may be something else to do before starting the car?

post-209049-1450049453_thumb.jpg

1) yes, flip the kill switch

2) yes, put it right in the middle of that frame

3) wheel and tire aren't heavy ~50 pounds.

4) it's a no brainer

5) forgot the size sorry

6) alarm won't go off since there won't be any power running to the car

7) 110 lbs

Thanks for the info, including DIY and battery type & number shown. Forgot to ask, since the front of the car is so low and long, should the front of the car be raised up with the usual dash button before jacking up the rear to avoid the front hitting the pavement? Then one last question, anyone ever tried an Optima battery, or better to remain old school regular type battery?

Thanks for the info, including DIY and battery type & number shown. Forgot to ask, since the front of the car is so low and long, should the front of the car be raised up with the usual dash button before jacking up the rear to avoid the front hitting the pavement? Then one last question, anyone ever tried an Optima battery, or better to remain old school regular type battery?

i swapped out an OEM battery in my older gallardo with an OPTIMA battery. but i forget the part number on that.

Cigarete lighter charger works on the murci, make sure the Optima has a lip to bolt down the battery. I have an Interstate (which comes with a great warranty, replaced a few times) priced well. Havent driven the car for a while and I simply use the battery disconnect switch and easily starts up.

edit: I had battery issues about 6 months ago, my alternator died. Dealer wanted $1500 ish for the part, you can a rebuilt one online for $400 ish. Whiteout has the details.

Trying to find info on the proper battery for the Murci is kind of funny, like an adventure. The blog from whiteout with photos are great. In the post from whiteout it looks like the size that fits there is 34. In doing a google search for 08 for instance, size comes up mostly as 49. Out of curiosity I called the local Lambo shop to inquire about battery type and size, and was informed that depending on the 08 car, there are two different batteries. Was told the only way to tell is to take a photo of the battery or take it out and bring it in to see which one to get (price is $298 for either...WTF). Was told they are special batteries, not something you could just go to the local parts store and get. Anyway, still didn't tell me the size. Felt like Tom Cruise trying to steal the secret NOC list. I am not sure if there is any merit to the special battery thing, but do know that some batteries are made differently. For instance, I know some guys use the Optima yellow battery instead of the red because if they have a unit that raises the front of the car, it cycles the battery differently. The Optima website describes that difference somewhat. Anyway, regarding size, once I get in there I am going to measure that battery tray size, as well as vertical space and report here. I can see a small portion of my battery, and I see it it white, so I suspect that it is an Interstate since those are white, or maybe it is this mysterious $298 battery, ha ha. All I know is it seemed to last about 7 years, which ain't too bad.

Well, I got my barttery duty done. When I got behind the wheel panel, I found I had an interstate dated 11/13, so I am not sure if the battery was bad or not. But figured now that I am in there, I am changing it out anyway as I really don't want to repeat the job. My Dell crapped out too, so I only have limited photos for now, from the iPad. My innards in that battery area did look a bit different than posted above. Mine has an end bracket on the tray that slides under the battery, held by two bolts underside. Anyway:

Paid $300 for the battery from the Lambo dealer and could have been much cheaper elsewhere, but what the heck, I was in a hurry to get it done. What a freakin Markup! My replacement was an Interstate MTP48/H6, and fits exact. So, now I know the battery size for mine anyway is group48. Only 730 CCA, but they said that way more than the car specs call for. I like more, but maybe next time. Battery specs and measurements here: http://www.interstatebatteries.com/Product...onths+-+770+CCA

My car already had some type of trickle charge box and cord in the engine bay. Not sure what that box is for. Dealer said some come with that set up and some not. So I fished the wire through the side wheel well instead of the engine bay like the posted photos above with an extension needed to reach. I also noticed that wire connection to the battery was a bit rusty, which maybe was my issue too, o I cleaned everything up real good, and got some terminal gel from autozone.

Basically took me about 6 hours, including getting the battery. But I was being careful, and now that I did it, it should be faster next time. Had to get a small hex bit too, as my plastic wheel well panels were held by hex screws. I also took time to be sure I didn't scrape the inside of the wheel, as I swear there is only about 1/4 inch between the inside wheel and brake caliper, at least with CCB anyway. I slipped a small towel on top of the brake caliper and put a few planks of wood under the tire so it would not fall once unbolted, and then guided it out. Quite acquard with that huge wheel and tire otherwise, so that sure helped.

Attached are a few photos. Plus just a tip when buying a car, it's a good idea to check some basics when you get it home. When I went to unbolt that wheel, the toque was so light, I only took about 20 lb on the wrench to undo the wheel bolts. On course that made me check all other wheels and they were 110 lbs.

post-209049-1450560805_thumb.jpg

post-209049-1450560858_thumb.jpg

Nice work! Good you didn't short the wrench on any metal :) Also its a pain getting it over the rear caliber hey?

You are right there! The battery needed to be lifted "up" over the CCB and caliper to get it out. I tried to slide it under at first but it didn't seem to fit that way, then needed to go backward and put it back on the tray before trying again. Not easy for 60 year old fart, now doing some heavy Motrin.

Good info Jan, thanks for posting it up.

I called the local Lambo shop . . . Was told they are special batteries, not something you could just go to the local parts store and get.

:lol2: