LP640 Roadster Exhaust question.

mtmd11

Hey all.

Unlike most exhaust questions where someone is trying to get an idea of what aftermarket exhaust to go for... this is about what comes stock.

I'm getting an a 2008 LP640 Roadster, stock exhaust. Planning on getting an LOC exhaust installed.

My question is this: does the LP640 have 2 sets of catalytic converters?

If yes, can one switch out the 'secondary cats' (that seem to be stacked just next to the exhaust) and have no worries about CELs (or passing state emissions) while getting better wt. savings and sound?

I've seen places where those are referred to as 'the' cats... making it sound like they are the only ones. LOC seemed to have only a single option for 'cat bypass' making it sound as if there is just one set of cats, but I've also seen where some manufacturers, such as Fabspeed, make 'Primary catbypass pipes' as well as "secondary catbypass pipes'.

This pic (from the National Geo special on the Lamborghini factory) seems to show primaries (yellow), secondaries (red), and exhaust (green).

Thoughts?

Also, anyone with the LOC on their Murci who did/didn't do a 'secondary cat delete' and are you pleased with how it sounds?

203.0.png

There is primary and secondary, some guys have eliminated both, I can't speak for CEL, I purchased secondary bypass only, I haven't installed them yet.

There is primary and secondary, some guys have eliminated both, I can't speak for CEL, I purchased secondary bypass only, I haven't installed them yet.

Answer is yes all US 640 came with primary and secondary cats.

Good news is that Euro cars only came with the primary cats so all sensors are attached to these, eliminating the secondary cats will not give you a CEL.

Some exhausts do however throw a CEL

It is also possible to remove the primary cats, some have done it with out a CEL and some have got a CEL, not sure why.

On a secondary note if you require an emissions inspection you will most probably pass the visual without the secondary cats as they are under a heat shield that covers the exhaust bur it will be obvious enough the primary cats are missing.

I have a LOC exhaust with secondary catss deleted and am very happy.

Both US and non-US cars have the O2 sensors on the primaries, so that doesn't make a difference.

If you eliminate the primaries, you will need O2 mount extensions to fool the secondary O2 sensors to thinking a cat is between the primary O2 and secondary O2.

I haven't heard of anyone throwing codes for removing just the secondary cats. If they are throwing codes for that, they probably have something else going wrong with their car.

I have Fabspeed sport primary cats (flows about double the factory cats), and no codes whatsoever without using any O2 extenders. I have no secondary cats, but I do have the stock muffler, and muscle-car style dump valves that bypass the muffler and dump the exhaust immediately after the secondary cats straight down. No codes. I have a remote control key fob to open the dump valve from inside or outside the car. Look up my forum post on that project, and you will see more diagrams.

Btw, that muffler in your pic is not likely to be the one on the car you're buying. Yours is going to be a huge suitcase sized unit that weighs about 100 lbs. Again check my thread to see what it will look like.

Correct, USA Cars all have Primary and Secondary Cats.

You can remove the secondaries with say a Larini Secondary Cat Bypass pipe and there are no Check Engine Lights, it's a great upgrade.

If you remove the Primaries with the Larini Primary Cat Bypass Pipe (USA or Euro), you will get a Check Engine Light, you may be able to get this turned off with an ECU Tune. It usually stays clear for a while but eventually surfaces.

If you swap in a Larini Primary Sport Cat, there is no Check Engine Light , she will sound great and run like a dream!

Give us a call if you need anything, we have some great pricing on Larini Sport Mufflers and Decats right now!

I've never seen the muffler in that picture. Is that for an SV?

You can run primary deletes without o2 spacers and not throw a code. If you don't want your car to be crazy loud, keep the primaries. . . or remove them, with a valved primary delete and keep the stock secondaries and/or muffler.

I've never seen the muffler in that picture. Is that for an SV?

You can run primary deletes without o2 spacers and not throw a code. If you don't want your car to be crazy loud, keep the primaries. . . or remove them, with a valved primary delete and keep the stock secondaries and/or muffler.

I am pretty sure that's the lightweight (relative to the normal) muffler of the SV. When they did that TV show, they were featuring the SV model, so it makes sense.

Yes, that is the muffler for the SV. The TV special was showcasing the build of the SV specifically.

I appreciate the info.

Decided to go with the LOC secondary cat delete and the LOC exhaust. The couple of videos I've found online sound great. Also, I have a Tubi on my Gallardo SE and really love the sound of that in the higher RPM range.

Pics to follow.

Yes, that is the muffler for the SV. The TV special was showcasing the build of the SV specifically.

I appreciate the info.

Decided to go with the LOC secondary cat delete and the LOC exhaust. The couple of videos I've found online sound great. Also, I have a Tubi on my Gallardo SE and really love the sound of that in the higher RPM range.

Pics to follow.

I have this setup - you won't be disappointed.

It's a high pitched clean F1 sound.

Post Vids when installed!

!image.jpeg

I have this setup - you won't be disappointed.

It's a high pitched clean F1 sound.

Post Vids when installed!

!image.jpeg

This setup looks like it reduces a lot of weight. I saw a youtube video of you revving it. Sounds great.

Next question I have is, have you heard the IPE system back to back with this? I have the IPE inbound

Anyone with the IPE delete primaries?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got the car last week... it's amazing.

Dropped it off today with ''my guy'' for the exhaust and secondary catbypass pipes, drier's side door strut, rear badge painted black, turn off AirBag light (I made the apparently fatal mistake of adjusting the steering column!) and redo the window tint.

The exhaust is super light (mechanic holding it) and the same for the bypass pipes.

As he sends me pics of the stock and then removal and install, I'll share.

Thanks for the info above.

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4026.0.jpg

IMG_4135.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

Congrats! And welcome to the Yellow Murci club!!

Did you get it from McLaren Phillly? That's where I got mine.

This setup looks like it reduces a lot of weight. I saw a youtube video of you revving it. Sounds great.

Next question I have is, have you heard the IPE system back to back with this? I have the IPE inbound

Anyone with the IPE delete primaries?

I have the full IPE exhaust and then stripped the baffling out of the IPE cats so essentially delete primaries...car is currently for sale with Roy

I would say the garage amplifies the sound a bit, completely unreal in a tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

Going down to pick up the car tomorrow.

Here is a pic of the secondary catbypass pipes and the exhaust in place.

Will need to charge up my GoPro and grab a video of it.

13199168_599796020182608_1641414086_o.jpg