Door does not prime & car won't turn over

JanDaMan

I always start my car with the door open because when it's warming up I'm usually not in it waiting.

The locking of the doors with them open I've never tried, I can try it tomorrow morning and report back.

But I don't think you should be able to lock it unless the car thinks the door is closed.

And I know what you mean about taking a car in for repairs and then it stops doing it.

So your alarm is completely disabled? If so, how did they do that? That's something a lot of people would like to know.

Can you still lock and unlock the car with the fob?

To me, the alarms are not very helpful. The big crime here in Houston is thieves breaking your window and then diving in through the broken window to grab whatever valuables are in the car. The alarm systems don't detect that, so they never go off. With how common that is, you have to be a moron to leave anything in the passenger compartment, but so many people still do. They won't try to get in the trunk for fear of setting off an alarm and it taking more time and bringing more attention.

Also, it's pretty rare for someone to want to steal a Lambo. Sure, it can happen, but so can being struck by lightning. Those car thieve pros want to steal Escalades and Hondas that can be stripped for parts and the parts sold quickly and easily. Gone in 60 seconds is just a movie, not real life. They don't want to mess around with some flashy car that's going to be remembered and the parts will take years to sell. So the alarm isn't needed for that either.

Vandalism is the thing I worry about with my car. That 1% of the 99%'ers just aren't too happy that you are making it and they aren't, so they want to let you know their displeasure with a silent protest on your car. No factory alarm is going to help with that either. You need to install the custom proximity flame throwers for that. So until I get that installed, I still have to be close to my car even with a working factory alarm.

Vandalism is the biggest worry when leaving theses cars unattended. I will never understand why people do this even if they are behind you financially, how is it the cars fault? Lol

The locking of the doors with them open I've never tried, I can try it tomorrow morning and report back.

But I don't think you should be able to lock it unless the car thinks the door is closed.

Yes, I would like to know if you don't mind checking. I am thinking it may be the door sensor acting up on occasion as others have mentioned since it does not prime on occasion when opening the door. But then I sit inside with door shut and it won't start either.

Ok, I just tried out JanDaMAn's requests on my 670.

Let's get the easy part over first:

Yes, you can absolutely start the car with the door(s) up, i.e. driver door up/passenger door closed; driver door closed/passenger door up; both doors up and, obviously, both doors closed. The car will start in any of the combination.

And yes, you can arm the alarm with the driver's door up but there is a twist. The alarm will arm and the car will chirp. And the solenoid on the door lock will click and lock the doors but it will then immediately click again and unlock the doors. I.e. the car is armed but the doors are not locked. I had tried that for 5 times with about 5 minutes apart from each try. A couple of times I flipped the kill switch in the engine bay so technically the car's electricals are disengaged altogether; other times they were straight lock/unlock via key fob as if I parked the car, went to buy things and came back after. All yielded the same results: car is armed but doors are locked and then immediately unlocked. I should also add that it's the dead on winter here so the car had been hibernating. I put a battery tender on and activated the kill switch whe it goes to hibernation. At the beginning of the test, I first disconnected the battery tender and then disengaged the kill switch. The moment the kill switch was deactivated, the pump primed. It primed a bit more, though in much shorter time, when I opened the driver's door. Car started without a glitch. The car's battery was replaced 1.5 years ago (same current rating).

Thanks for all the info & brainstorming, especially what is "normal", because then I can figure what isn't. As reverse Murphy's Law goes, of course the car started fine today, door primed as it should, etc. But called Lambo Newport to chat about it, and the suggestion to check if it may be the door sensor could be to open the door and if no prime, then look to see if the dome light is lit or not. If not lit, then the car thinks the door is shut and not allowing to prime & start. Anyway, will try a few more times and I am sure at some point it won't start, so I can then look for the dome light, and also try to lock and unlock the door with the door open as explained in the post above. Was told the parts may not be tremendous, but there is a good bit of labor as the door panel needs to come off & get at the parts. So, just making sure that's it first.

Seems the less I drive it the more stuff happens. I try restricting my driving somewhat to keep some good value there, but now being retired, I should just go and drive PCH, etc. and forget about it. Just now passed 10,000 mile mark, so 5 digit mark rather than 4 probably gave me $15K less value just due to the number alone.

When you take the car in to LNB, ask for Jeff to work on the car. He's a member here and had given very valuable advice to some of us here. I trust whatever he tells me about my bulls. He's the man (pardon the pun :) ) to go to for your Murci.

Also, with cel phone tech readily available, you might want to capture a video of the car when you are testing it out. This would provide a graphical description on what took place without the slightest of doubt. A picture is worth a thousand words so goes the cliche.

When you take the car in to LNB, ask for Jeff to work on the car. He's a member here and had given very valuable advice to some of us here. I trust whatever he tells me about my bulls. He's the man (pardon the pun :) ) to go to for your Murci.

Also, with cel phone tech readily available, you might want to capture a video of the car when you are testing it out. This would provide a graphical description on what took place without the slightest of doubt. A picture is worth a thousand words so goes the cliche.

Haha, we think alike on both those aspects. Actually Jeff is the person I talked with, but typically I don't call out names. Yes, his expertise if top notch based on past experience with him. As for a visual, in this last starting attempt I had the iPhone ready for a video, but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on perspective), the car primed & started. I think jeff's tip to look for the dome light when I open the door and I get no prime is a good tip. He also asked if I got flashing gear shift numbers when it failed to start, which could then mean egear pump, but fortunately I saw none of that (again, good point that video or photo helps, especially since there are lots of dash lights on this car).

So your alarm is completely disabled? If so, how did they do that? That's something a lot of people would like to know.

Can you still lock and unlock the car with the fob?

No, my alarm still (functioning...making noises) when I hit Arm or Disarm, it just doesn't lock when I press lock because the locking mechanism was seize or worn out. Now that the weather is cool down, I'm going to replace the driver's door strut soon and lube up or swap out the worn door lock thingy while I'm at it. Will also tackle all the Sticky buttons.

PS. I can start the car with driver door open, engine cover open, front trunk open as well.

Haha, we think alike on both those aspects. Actually Jeff is the person I talked with, but typically I don't call out names. Yes, his expertise if top notch based on past experience with him. As for a visual, in this last starting attempt I had the iPhone ready for a video, but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on perspective), the car primed & started. I think jeff's tip to look for the dome light when I open the door and I get no prime is a good tip. He also asked if I got flashing gear shift numbers when it failed to start, which could then mean egear pump, but fortunately I saw none of that (again, good point that video or photo helps, especially since there are lots of dash lights on this car).

:icon_thumleft: :turboalex:

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like this is hit & miss. Last few times I unarmed the car, got in and it started, so all seemed fine. Then today unarmed the car, opened the door with no prime noise, turned key till the Xmas lights and noise stopped, pressed and released unlock key briefly, then turned the key to start and it didn't start. Tried that twice while inside the car, and same no start. Then I remained inside the car, armed it then unarmed it and tried it again, and this time it started.

Plus, on advise from the dealer/Jeff to see if the issue may be the door switch acting up when opening the door w/o prime noise, I looked for the dome light upon opening the door and it was lit. So apparently that means the car recognizes that I have opened the door after unarming, and therefore the issue may not be the door switch. Who knows, maybe it's just the touchy alarm. I was going to do a video so you could see what I see, but I forgot because the last few times it started fine.