Recommend me a 4 seater sportscar with a bit of luggage room

Taoist

Right, your challenge for the day is this;

I'm looking for an everyday, prestige brand sportscar with four or five seats, reasonable economy and room for a snowboard. As an everyday car the fuel economy should be 25 miles per (UK)gallon or better. It should have a sharp, sporty body and must have that "I wanna take it out for a spin" feelgood factor. Performance should be good but doesn't have to be top-of-the-world. It should be a car that can be left by the roadside without being vandalised. Oh and it shouldn't empty my wallet at every service, neither should it fall apart like an American Foreign Policy.

Off you go.

EVO VIII FQ400 if there are any left. If not, then the FQ330.

Two potential problems with that. Firstly I don't personally see Mistubishi as a prestige brand. Secondly, the Evo looks like a dog's breakfast, hardly a sleek sportscar.

However, it appears to score in most other areas, so yeah.....maybe.

the new M5, but I believe it will come up with a lot of technical problems in the near future. just saw it on top gear and that thing's too high tech for a car.

the new M5, but I believe it will come up with a lot of technical problems in the near future. just saw it on top gear and that thing's too high tech for a car.

I probably should have mentioned a budget of £30,000 ($60,000) for either a new or second hand car.

The problem with most BMWs is they look really boring - too normal, although I'll grant you it's a prestige brand alright.

Second Hand: Jaguar S-Type R --- the S-type with the 4.2 supercharged V8 engine

New: Mazda RX-8

Both are sporty & reliable & rather fun. One is more "prestige" than the other but prestige also comes with the "old school / heritage" connotation. The other is certainly distinctive but is it prestige enough for you?

Second Hand: Jaguar S-Type R --- the S-type with the 4.2 supercharged V8 engine

New: Mazda RX-8

Both are sporty & reliable & rather fun. One is more "prestige" than the other but prestige also comes with the "old school / heritage" connotation. The other is certainly distinctive but is it prestige enough for you?

Hmm, interesting. Mazda's not prestige enough, Jaguar's nice but probably too thirsty and its looks aren't quite what I'm after.

To give you more of an idea, the sort of makes I'm talking about are things like TVR, Lotus, Porsche, BMW, Merc, Lambo, Ferrari etc. although I suspect no L or F car will fit my criteria TBH. In terms of looks, I mean sleek like an Esprit, Countach, 944 etc. Don't really want anything that looks like a saloon/sedan.

I have actually been looking at Lotus Excel / Eclat. I quite like them, they look nice and seem to be quite economical and practical, although they're getting old and the performance would need serious tweeking. I have no idea if either of those cars are actually any good but they're pretty cheap so money would be available for a good tune-up.

Sorry, Taoist. The car you want doesn't exist. After all, if it did you wouldn't need to ask us, would you. :)

Having said that, the BRAND that makes sedan cars (sorry, if you want to fit 5 people it isn't going to look much like a Countach or an Esprit) that are nice to drive is BMW. No-one else is so relentlessly committed to rear drive and rear drive makes for a nice driving sedan. You know you budget, so take your pic of a new 3 series or a used M of some sort.

Sorry, Taoist. The car you want doesn't exist. After all, if it did you wouldn't need to ask us, would you. :)

Having said that, the BRAND that makes sedan cars (sorry, if you want to fit 5 people it isn't going to look much like a Countach or an Esprit) that are nice to drive is BMW. No-one else is so relentlessly committed to rear drive and rear drive makes for a nice driving sedan. You know you budget, so take your pic of a new 3 series or a used M of some sort.

I'm edging towards a 330i or a Jaguar X-Type 3 litre V6 SE, but their run-of-the-mill looks is still dissuading me. Top choice at the moment seems to be a Lotus Excel SE which runs a similar 0-60 (apparently) but looks much more like what I'm after.

Anyone got any thoughts on the Excel?

buy a mb C 320 or used 55..

Ah yes, if only I could get over my irrational need for a sleek sportscar body. Damn.

How about a Fiat Coupe ? Perhaps not prestige enough (and they're quite old now), but lovely cars, very quick (0-60 in 6, 155mph), 4 seats, boot space, ski hatch ... what more could you ask for ?!?! :P

How about a Fiat Coupe ? Perhaps not prestige enough (and they're quite old now), but lovely cars, very quick (0-60 in 6, 155mph), 4 seats, boot space, ski hatch ... what more could you ask for ?!?! :P

Interesting yes.....can't get over the Ferrari (sorry Fiat) badge though, bah!

If you can get over your thirst issue, I would look at the Ferrari 456. Early models are changing hands in the US for around the figures you mentioned. I would expect European ones to be cheaper since they're more plentiful.

The body is beautiful I think - elegantly understated, room for four, reasonable luggage room and the V12 torque and smoothness that you love from the Countach.

Only common issues I know of are window regulators (most were fixed under warranty) and some of the soft-touch plastic inside turns to goo over time (just like 355/348. Can be fixed easily with some oven cleaner). Worth a look!

his budget's $60K.

damn, your hard to please Taoist!

Hey, I didn't say it was gonna be easy.

Best suggestion thus far seems to be the Ferrari 456, the only bugbear there being fuel consumption.

This is leading me towards a plan to sell the Countach and the PT and have a 456 as a replacement for both.

Actually I think I've found the best all round answer.

A Porsche 928 GTS.

5.4 Litre V8 generating 350bhp and 370 lbft of torque, giving 0-60 in 5.4 secs, top speed 170mph. Returns about 20-22mpg (uk gallons)

Not a full blown 4 seater but a 2+2 with lots of luggage space. Looks like a suitable replacement for both the Countach and the PT as a daily driver. I can pick up a 1995 one for around £15,000 ($30,000).

What do you think?