Anyone think the P / Cayman S is a decent driver's car ?

ralfabco

59K MSRP

Do you think it is a decent driver's car ? Any track use ?

I'm sure it's no slouch, but man is it slow for that much money. We're talking slower even than all those dog-ass-slow 14+ second cars that cost half as much like the 350Z, G35C, RX-8, S2000 etc.

Not to mention the E46 M3, which is slightly less money as well as being a ton faster, and probably just as fun to drive (you'd also get some practicality from the rear seats).

And we haven't even talked about going to the secondary market instead and getting a real Porsche like a late model 993 Carrera, or even and early 996...

It's going to be dead on arrival Ralph. It seems compelling and cute now, but when it's time to actually write the check buyers will think twice. It's no bargain.

Who's driven one yet? Supposed to be a better handler than the 911.

Add a Lotus V8 to my list above also. :)

NSX 3.2L as well. And even an Elise while we're at it if we're talking just about how good a driver it is.

Lots of cars I'd take before this Boxster stretch edition hardtop. :mrgreen:

I like it; just not for what it costs. I would rather an exige with the Forcefed kit, but thats just me. that or go all out and get a turbo, or really, even a preowned 996 turbo. The let down for me is the engine, not dry sumped. not that it needs to be for my uses, but the corner cutting really sux.

A nice used low mile uncrashed GT3 in two years, is another alternative. They will probably be priced the same, as a new Cayman S in two years.

I'm sure it's no slouch, but man is it slow for that much money. We're talking slower even than all those dog-ass-slow 14+ second cars that cost half as much like the 350Z, G35C, RX-8, S2000 etc.  

Not to mention the E46 M3, which is slightly less money as well as being a ton faster, and probably just as fun to drive (you'd also get some practicality from the rear seats).

And we haven't even talked about going to the secondary market instead and getting a real Porsche like a late model 993 Carrera, or even and early 996...

It's going to be dead on arrival Ralph. It seems compelling and cute now, but when it's time to actually write the check buyers will think twice. It's no bargain.

Really??

Well, I wouldn't argue that the used car market almost always beats the new car market for value. I'm one of its biggest fans.

However, slower than even S2000s, and those other cars you mentioned??

Even the Boxster S wasn't THAT slow I thought......now the Cayman S will be slower??

I'm sure somewhere down the line, there's a value to this car.

Really??  

Well, I wouldn't argue that the used car market almost always beats the new car market for value. I'm one of its biggest fans.

However, slower than even S2000s, and those other cars you mentioned??  

Even the Boxster S wasn't THAT slow I thought......now the Cayman S will be slower??

I'm sure somewhere down the line, there's a value to this car.

I think Porsche is grossly overestimating the demand for a car that can't break 14 seconds in the 1/4 mile and has no back seats. We've given a half-dozen superior alternatives just in a few quick posts in this thread.

I hate seeing Porsche going into low budget performance cars now, I cried when I seen a SUV, but the Caymen. C'mon what ever happend to rear aircooled drivers cars? I think you will see a few of these around, but not many. I find it cute, and think it would look nice with some HRE wheels, but like Mako said a M3 espacially a 2006-7 V8 would be the better choice.

On a side note, im sure a few tuners will be supercharging these puppies!

this is the only midengined hardtop porsche no? this should make it the stiffest most ballanced car they offer right? this car does need more power because its way underpowered. :( but i guess porsche cant have thier CHEAP car performing better than thier others.

People who buy it prolly won't buy it for the speed... I mean, normal people don't race 24/7. :mrgreen:

People who buy it prolly won't buy it for the speed... I mean, normal people don't race 24/7.  :mrgreen:

Slow is slow, doesn't matter if you're racing or not.

I suppose the better option is a nice used low mile 04/05 GT3. :prayer:

What appeals to me, is the way the car is supposed to handle.

A nice used low mile uncrashed GT3 in two years, is another alternative.   They will probably be priced the same, as a new Cayman S in two years.

You can get a GT3 Mk1 over here for the same cash as a CaymanS.

I just couldn't drive a car that rhymed with Gayman... :lol:

A nice used low mile uncrashed GT3 in two years, is another alternative.   They will probably be priced the same, as a new Cayman S in two years.

You can get a GT3 Mk1 over here for the same cash as a CaymanS.

I just couldn't drive a car that rhymed with Gayman... :lol:

christ it almost says it already... :finga:

I think the Cayman s sucks period.I don't know what Porsche was thinking but the car is an abomination and it is really slow.It is also not priced right.They have introduced a model that competes with the rest of their line and offers nothing special

I think the Cayman s sucks period.I don't know what Porsche was thinking but the car is an abomination and it is really slow.It is also not priced right.They have introduced a model that competes with the rest of their line and offers nothing special

Their first large scale mistake in a long while. Dealers are already complaining about soft pre-orders on the Cayman.

The Panamerica will be another mistake. Makes you wonder what's going on over there, particularly after their nonsense this week with VAG.

Their first large scale mistake in a long while. Dealers are already complaining about soft pre-orders on the Cayman.

The Panamerica will be another mistake. Makes you wonder what's going on over there, particularly after their nonsense this week with VAG.

I agree.They are making good money on the Cayenne and think they can ride their good luck streak.Next thing you know they will be in the red

What about the claims that the Cayman S can outlap the Carrera at the ring??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Word, the Ring does indeed favor HP over handling...

You know, not even the Boxster took this amount of a beating, and that's got to be way softer than the Cayman.

If true, it's respectable at least.

That is what I heard. The car is supposed to handle well. I look at it differently. I assume they will add more power to the car, in the next two/three years. I am not talking about GT3 power. I would hope they can find another 50 bhp +

It does put forth a problem for the marketing bean counters. - This car can encroach on the Carrera meal ticket.

Guys, Road and Track just arrived and the Cayman sounds great. It ran 4.8 to 60, and 13.3 at 106 through the quarter. No reason to buy a 911 imo unless its a turbo, gt2 or 3. Mako you are the numbers king but I just that it ran 4 seconds faster around the ring than the 997 carrera. Just think where the 997 GT2 will be, since Porsche is saying that the 997 carrera s shaved 20 seconds a lap from the 996. Wonder if the 997 Gt2 could get closer to the 7:32 of the carrera gt, since it will prob. be on Pilot Sports it should be close.

Guys, Road and Track just arrived and the Cayman sounds great. It ran 4.8 to 60,  and 13.3 at 106 through the quarter. No reason to buy a 911 imo unless its a turbo, gt2 or 3. Mako you are the numbers king but I just  that it ran 4 seconds faster around the ring than the 997 carrera. Just think where the 997 GT2 will be, since Porsche is saying that the 997 carrera s shaved 20 seconds a lap from the 996. Wonder if the 997 Gt2 could get closer to the 7:32 of the carrera gt, since it will prob. be on Pilot Sports it should be close.

Have to use third party figures when talking about the Ring, Jim. Factory figures are exactly that: Provided by the factory. We'll see when Sport Auto gets a hold of it, though I do expect it to come in right where you've said, roughly base 997 C2 levels.

It sounds better to me at 13.3 in the 1/4 mile, but I'm still not exaclty sure what the appeal is here. I suspect that many of you are being blinded by the badge on the car. Put a Honda/Toyota/Chevrolet badge on it and you're not even looking at it, hypothetical handling prowess or not.

No one is saying the Gayman won't be a driver's car, obviously. It's a Porsche. But sales are soft already as the MSRP is far too high. I've already provided some stellar examples of more satisfying alternatives to this car at the same price level, I really don't understand where the debate is.

Gee, an 02 Lotus Esprit V8 or a Boxster Gayman...hmmm, let me think. Same goes for a used 993 Turbo. Hell even a garbage 355 is just $70k now, and turns identical times.

I just don't get the Gayman.