Thoughts on an S2000

Destructo

I'm getting the new car itch again, it happens every 4-5 weeks with me. I'm considering the Honda S2000. Anyone have one? good, bad or indifferent. I got to drive one down the block once, felt pretty good. I was alot heavier then, and since i've lost weight i want something small and fun :) Anyone got good pictures and/or videos and suggestions on this car i would like to read it. Thanks

had one, nothing special ,doesnt feel fast, handles twitichily (course; i crashed mine, so i would say that!) tons of info on "s2ki.com"

Very very slow, all bark and no bite. You'll be redlining that thing, it's making a shitload of noise, oh boy I must be hauling ass, look to your left, a 350Z is kicking your ass. :mrgreen:

Would be fun to force-inject it though, get it over 300hp. That would be worth owning.

Evo or STi, by far. As much fun to drive, and just $2k in mods will transform it into a car that runs with stock C6 vettes or 360s. Great bargain.

You could also get an early NSX, or possibly an Esprit S4, both of which would have you big-pimping (especially in Michigan) and excited to open the garage door each day.

Lots of options in that $35k segment, more than people think.

I think an S2000 would be a lot of fun if you had the right roads and driver to exploit it....

As such it is very slow if not driven properly. I once read a test report on how a 0-60 without an aggressive clutch drop is around 10 seconds!!

After driving it myself, the above is not an outrageous claim!

Makes a cool sound though, and convertible. Car definitely has its benefits....the final decision will be up to you.

Would be fun to force-inject it though, get it over 300hp. That would be worth owning.

What about the Comptech supercharger kits??

I think those do up the HP but not the torque, which is really what the thing needs.

Yeah, but being that the kit is a centrifugal supercharger, the power does not help until the really high revs anyway. With an S2000, you would want a turbo kit as that would provide the torque that the car really lacks. That being said, I'd look for an early NSX at the same price with all of the advantages, but none of the drawbacks of the S2 IMHO.

S2000's are fun cars to drive but they're slow. I bought mine only because I'm into circuit driving so I don't care so much for brute power. If you can cope with that, you'll be fine owning one. Handling & steering response is awesome, solid x-frame monoque chassis, front engine is mounted behind front axles, external reservior shocks - lot of thought Honda put into designing this grip machine. Motor is fully built (carburized forging) from the factory but you cannot drop your usual forged aluminum pistons without resleeving the motor. There are couple people boosting (turbo) and making 400+whp on a stock motor. Couple people are making 500-600 range resleeved but then with that power, the differential starts to get weak. There is an owner that frequently visits Crystal Cove (Newport, CA) with his 440hp Vortech Supercharged S2000. All I know is it's built and he's making that power on stock exhaust to the hub-attached type dyno. His username on S2Ki.com is Sideways.

I have the 04-05'' model where they dropped redline from 9000rpm to 8200rpm. Displacement went from a 2.0L to a 2.2L. If you were out looking to purchase one, I would get an 04+' model as they changed the location of the rear suspension arms (rear end doesn't snap as easy as 00-03'), strengthen the differential, & the interior looks much better. Only thing I don't like about 06' is the added traction control - who needs traction control!

Here's some pics of mine and two good videos of others.

S2000 with ITB's

S2000 chasing Modena Stradales

IMG_0158.jpg

209.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC02774copy.jpg

I have the 04-05'' model where they dropped redline from 9000rpm to 8200rpm.  Displacement went from a 2.0L to a 2.2L.  If you were out looking to purchase one, I would get an 04+' model as they changed the location of the rear suspension arms (rear end doesn't snap as easy as 00-03'), strengthen the differential, & the interior looks much better.  Only thing I don't like about 06' is the added traction control - who needs traction control!

This is an important point, nice Daryl. Agree for sure, don't buy one of the 2.0Ls if you just have to have an S2000. The 2.2L cars make much more torque at a much lower rpm range, and are far more satisfying to drive day to day. Plus the suspension mods Daryl mentioned are a nice benefit as well.

My friend cashed in his trust fund the day we graduated and bought one brand new. Pretty quick car for being a 4 cylinder. I'd say it's a pretty fun little toy. I'd buy one.

Thanks for the pics/info/and vids of your S2000, you modena link is the same as the first one :) I need to see it

Doh! Link fixed. BTW, only mod on the S2000 chasing the Modena Stradales are intake/header/exhaust/suspension/R-compound tires - engine is stock.

More videos here...... http://www.teamgt.it/

i heard, that s2k 2.0 have some common engine problems.

It was only 00', not sure about 01', but it was a sparkplug recall where the electrode would break & start scoring #4 cylinder. Honda is aware of all the recalls and will replace the motor. Friend's motor recently went out and Honda gave him a new motor. If anyone is looking to purchase the 2.0L model, 02-03' is the best year to purchase for those who want that 9K redline.

350z>new eclipse v6> s2k

(I test drove all three in the same day, stock for stock)

Obviously you have no appreciation for light weight and the handling, braking, and fun benefits that follow it. The 350Z is a waste of materials. Yeah, the motor is nice, other than that the car is a complete waste of time and money. Anyone who has one and thinks its a sports car has no idea what a sports car is.

The new Eclipse is about as exciting as the last Eclipse ... that's to say, it isn't.

The Miata is gobs more fun than a 350Z, an S2000 makes the Miata look boring.

To the original poster ... drive one. A great motorcycling buddy of mine is a track instructor with the BMWCCA and recently got the new car itch. He test drove a 997 C2 (like me, he detests 4WD/AWD), Boxter S, Miata, Evo, M3, Z4, and RX8 .... Price is no object for this man (within $100K), there's an S2000 sitting in his garage ('05 Red).

Bill in Brooklyn

I owned one for a while, and I had a comptech blower on it.

It was lots of fun, but the car still wasnt fast. I split races with a bolt on evo (nothing more than a turbo back exhaust and a manual boost controller holding 19lbs of boost to redline). If youre looking for bang for buck, there are much better options out there.

Its also small, very noisy, bumpy, and will swap ends on you in a heartbeat if you arnt carefull. The stock S02s get really twitchy when worn about halfway. Contrary to what people are saying, I actually prefer the 01-03 cars. They watered it down some with the 04.....softer, more civil, etc. The same changes that make it more livable as a daily make it less desirable when you want to cane the sucker down a winding road.

02 and up has a glass rear window, thats about the only substantial difference between 00-01 and 02 and up. If youre looking to drive it every day, I'd be leery, and probably go for an 04. If youre just going to park on in the garage for sunny days, you can expand your search to the earlier cars, and there are some good deals to be had (at under 20k for a good condition low mile car).

I miss it alot now that its gone, and plan on getting another one. But NOT as an only car. Once a week is enough for me lol Im getting old.