VT to no more VT

Shamile

Dear Lamborghinisti,

I had an interesting conversation with George Evans of Evans Automotive tonight. We were discussing my header issue and the conversation shifted to the VT system.

He said that they are seeing more and more VT drive failures. Even though I like the practicality of the VT ( hate the feel ) because I drive the car as a daily driver even in heavy FL rain, he still recomended I remove the system.

He was describing sudden failures where the right wheel locks up and the car loses control. He also mentioned that the viscous coupling in the transmission or some bearing in the coupling was subject to fracturing causing damage. ( make that expensive damage)

He said it was best to remove the drive axle and differential. With the differential, you have to replace the front half shafts with what he called a " stub axle "

I am going to start with the drive shaft and when I get more info on the "stub axles" ....I'll remove the diff.

I thought I would let y'all know this information.....especially since I was not inclined to remove the system.

Shamile

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shamile, the front axles are simple. Remove the axles then disassemble the outboard CV joint leaving nothing but the stub and voila you have your stub axle!

Shamile, the front axles are simple. Remove the axles then disassemble the outboard CV joint leaving nothing but the stub and voila you have your stub axle!

Whow...Abolfaz !

That wizzed by me pretty fast.

Can you give a point by point approach?

BTW, George mentioned the stub axle in relation to some front bearing backing out....didn't quite get it all, need to do more research.

You would think I could get one project wrapped up before starting another. :D

Shamile

Shamile,

Drive off the outer CV joint from the axle. Once the CV joint/stub axle is removed from the axle, remove the inner race, ball bearings and ball cage leaving you with the outer race which is attached to the stub axle. Clean all the grease out of the outer race and bolt it back on to your hub carrier/hub assembly. Ever since I was 14 I've warned by mechanics to not roll the car around without the CV joint/stub bolted in other wise you would ruin your bearings, so I figured I should pass it on...

CV_joint.JPG

The part thats labeled "outer race" on your car will have a threaded end, this was the best picture I could find with the least effort. If you don't want to take apart your axles, the CV joints for the diablo are made by Lobro which supplies Porsche, I'm told that the CV joints are the same as whats supplied on the porsche 965 (I haven't confirmed it), there is a lobro part number on the CV joints in case you want to buy a CV joint and take it apart.

How similar is this system to the current G and Murci setups?

I take it these VT failures that cause the right side to "sieze" is what has caused all these horror stories posted on the internet about people having these random crashes?

I take it these VT failures that cause the right side to "sieze" is what has caused all these horror stories posted on the internet about people having these random crashes?

+1 :iamwithstupid:

According to George Evans....Absolutely Yes !!

When we spoke, he really conveyed the sence of urgency in removing the system....so I am.

Ok Abolfaz,

I get what you're saying.

Instead of dissassembling the CV joint, I went with the Lambo SV stub axle kit from Evans. This is the same parts kit that Lambo used when converting the front hub/axle for the RWD only SV.

Parts should be coming in a few days.

In the mean time....the dissassembly begins !

Shamile

Ok, here goes......

VT...viscous traction

really

VT....vicious trouble

Shamile

S7300255.JPG

S7300256.JPG

Undo the Allen bolts....

Remove the bracket holding the center engine mount and lower drive shaft.

With the engine mount bracket, the cross brace can be removed while not taking all the bolts out of the mount brace.

Remove the front 2 bolts, loosen the 2 rear, flip down the cross brace and remove. By doing it this way, you do not move the motor mount bracket and preserve any alignment that may have been there......one less problem to encounter :D

Drive shaft down and out....DIFF NEXT ! :eusa_dance:

All for now...

Shamile

S7300257.JPG

S7300258.JPG

S7300259.JPG

Murci is the exact same setup....according to George. We joked, if you don't make it correctly the first time....just keep doing it the same way....the Lamborghini way!

He mentioned failures on the murci as well. :eusa_think:

He didn't mention the G, maybe it's an Audi AWD system....the G is pretty much all Audi anyway.....I guess that makes it reliable I suppose. :D

According to George Evans....Absolutely Yes !!

When we spoke, he really conveyed the sence of urgency in removing the system....so I am.

Ok Abolfaz,

I get what you're saying.

Instead of dissassembling the CV joint, I went with the Lambo SV stub axle kit from Evans. This is the same parts kit that Lambo used when converting the front hub/axle for the RWD only SV.

Parts should be coming in a few days.

In the mean time....the dissassembly begins !

Shamile

Last I checked, the parts were no longer available therefore my suggestion. If the parts are available then by all means use the right parts!

Last I checked, the parts were no longer available therefore my suggestion. If the parts are available then by all means use the right parts!

Ablofaz,

Your method is great!

I always like learning new ways to accomplish a task. Most times we don't have the luxury of the proper Lambo parts... " NLA" .... (No Longer Available ) ........them fightn' words !

BTW, George bought up all the Lambo stock...so get it while it lasts !

Shamile

Totally different. Murci and gallardo send power up front through a propshaft that rides in two or three bearings within what you would call (for lack of a better term) a tube (or torque tube from the porsche dictionary). This setup was supposed to cure some of the vibration issues the pre murci cars had from the driveshaft which connected the tranny to the front diff.

Here's a murci front dif and the tube that houses the propeller shaft...

a327_1.JPG

Totally different. Murci and gallardo send power up front through a propshaft that rides in two or three bearings within what you would call (for lack of a better term) a tube (or torque tube from the porsche dictionary). This setup was supposed to cure some of the vibration issues the pre murci cars had from the driveshaft which connected the tranny to the front diff.

a327_1.JPG

Thank you so much! I'm actually considering buying a Lambo made in this decade.

Most of the stories on that guys site that talk about all the crashes involved Murci's suddenly turning hard right and running off the road. I dont remember if any of them were about diablo's. Makes sense though that its an issue with the VT system.

Most of the stories on that guys site that talk about all the crashes involved Murci's suddenly turning hard right and running off the road. I dont remember if any of them were about diablo's. Makes sense though that its an issue with the VT system.

Like it was clarified by Abolfaz Murci uses different system, however this shows that there are "some" problems with older design Lambo cars, and this might include Murcielago as well, so I just want to say that all the bashings made in the past to the owner of lambounfall.de website could be pretty unfair

a327_1.JPG

Yes it is different looking. Perhaps the mechanical properties and design of the system are the same.

Again, George mentioned that the murci VT "was the same" as the earlier Diablos. Perhaps an evolution of the original design but still prone to the same catastropic failure.

I'm just repeating what George said.

Shamile

Like it was clarified by Abolfaz Murci uses different system, however this shows that there are "some" problems with older design Lambo cars, and this might include Murcielago as well, so I just want to say that all the bashings made in the past to the owner of lambounfall.de website could be pretty unfair

Like I said, the murci system is slightly different, the prop shaft with two CV's at the ends was eliminated in favor of the prop shaft within the tube. I don't buy into the concept of the wheels locking up causing the car to go out of control, I think something in the drive line would break before anything else.

Some more fun today.

started on the front diff.

Pix 1

Undo the front CV joints

Pix 2

A good set extensions is handy.

Pix 3.

A little trick. How do you open the CV joint without the wheels turning? ( Drive shaft already removed ) Take off one wheel and block the other one on the car. Nothing grippier than rubber to rubber.

Shamile

S7300264.JPG

S7300265.JPG

S7300266.JPG