Canon 5D Mark III

DickSimmons

Unsurpassed Image Quality

22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor

DiG!C 5+ Image Processor

ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400

Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)

High Performance Operation

61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)

6.0 fps for high continuous shooting

Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage

3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II

iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor

Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles

High end features

Silent & low vibration modes

Dual card slots (CF & SD)

High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode

Multiple Exposures

Comparative Playback function

Improved durability & water and dust resistance

SPECIFICATIONS

Available Colours – Black

Megapixels – 22MP

Sensor Size – 36 x 24mm

ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600

Autofocus Points – 61 points

Lens Mount – Canon

LCD Size – 3.2″

Liveview – Yes

Viewfinder – Optical TTL

Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec

Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec

Continuous Shooting Speed – 6 fps

Self Timer – 10 sec, 2 sec

Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial

Video Resolution – Full HD 1080

Memory Type – Compact Flash

Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)

Battery – LP-E6

Battery Type – Lithium-ion

Charger – Includes Li-Ion Charger

File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4

Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm

Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery+

Well I am very happy to say I preordered the camera last night! I have a 5d mk2 currently and the new improvements were well needed.

Is it worth the upgrade for the non professionals (from the Mark II)?

Shit no, I wouldn't give up my Pentax K-5 for anything. I've had only a few days with it and am never going back to Canon or Nikon.

If one has Canon glass, why not? Otherwise, I'd wait for a A/B comparison with a Nikon 800/800E before making judgement.

Shit no, I wouldn't give up my Pentax K-5 for anything. I've had only a few days with it and am never going back to Canon or Nikon.

Sweet, another Pentaxian! Your next problem will be collecting the FA and DA Limiteds along with all the legacy K and M42 mount glass.

Sweet, another Pentaxian! Your next problem will be collecting the FA and DA Limiteds along with all the legacy K and M42 mount glass.

I already have a headache about which to go with first. I really really like the DA* 55/1.4! :icon_super:

On paper the specs aren't amazing, so we'll have to see if the improvement in the technology is more than how it reads. Guess we'll have to wait for real reviews. The 5DII was good, and the new AF and ISO performance is exactly what it needed, but these features shouldn't have taken 4 years and cost $3500. I'm a big non-flash shooter, so hopefully RAW ISO improvement will be 1-2 stops, but we'll see.

I would have liked to see:

1. Mention of improved DR. I don't see anything about it.

2. Better meter. This is the same as the 7D.

3. Articulated screen. Seems very consumer-y of a feature, but it really would be useful.

4. Unboard flash like the 7D. I know the 5D is pro-sumer, but I don't carry a flash anywhere because it's not practical. Too big and heavy to carry when traveling. As shitty as direct, hard flash can be, it can help you get a shot you couldn't get otherwise.

5. USB 3.0. I personally tether rather than using a card reader and it's much more likely I have USB with me. Besides, why didn't they just make it a USB 3.0 port? How hard could that have been?

6. Uncompressed HDMI out. Don't really need it, but again, why isn't it there?

I just don't see why the D800 offers what appears to be a lot better features for $500 less. 4 years after the 5DII and $500 more than a really great D800 leaves me pretty underwhelmed. I have $10K in Canon glass so I'm not about to switch, but I'm not exactly running out to buy one either at this point. If the ISO and low light performance is really good, I may still get one, but will have to wait for real world test shots and comparisons to see if it delivers.

On paper the specs aren't amazing, so we'll have to see if the improvement in the technology is more than how it reads. Guess we'll have to wait for real reviews. The 5DII was good, and the new AF and ISO performance is exactly what it needed, but these features shouldn't have taken 4 years and cost $3500. I'm a big non-flash shooter, so hopefully RAW ISO improvement will be 1-2 stops, but we'll see.

I would have liked to see:

1. Mention of improved DR. I don't see anything about it.

2. Better meter. This is the same as the 7D.

3. Articulated screen. Seems very consumer-y of a feature, but it really would be useful.

4. Unboard flash like the 7D. I know the 5D is pro-sumer, but I don't carry a flash anywhere because it's not practical. Too big and heavy to carry when traveling. As shitty as direct, hard flash can be, it can help you get a shot you couldn't get otherwise.

5. USB 3.0. I personally tether rather than using a card reader and it's much more likely I have USB with me. Besides, why didn't they just make it a USB 3.0 port? How hard could that have been?

6. Uncompressed HDMI out. Don't really need it, but again, why isn't it there?

I just don't see why the D800 offers what appears to be a lot better features for $500 less. 4 years after the 5DII and $500 more than a really great D800 leaves me pretty underwhelmed. I have $10K in Canon glass so I'm not about to switch, but I'm not exactly running out to buy one either at this point.

Agree on everything except the articulated screen. I think tilting is better, like Sony has on its NEX cameras.

I hate Canon because I takes them a decade to put out a great camera, everything else is like Apple's shit. They were getting their asses kicked by Nikon and finally put out the 7D which is pretty much perfect, yet I still chose the K-5 for its superior weather-sealing, smaller size/weight, and kick-ass IQ and ISO performance and couldn't be happier.