Gallardo Doors

TwilighT

Hey Allan,

Yes, I know your car is the tops, no doubt there.   The Diablo is tail heavy, that's for sure but I didn't realize the Murcie wasn't just as tail heavy, is that why it weighs so much ---lots of counterweights in the nose?

The stock SE30 was 41/59 (front/rear balance), the Murcie is listed as 42/58, not really any diff, what do you show as the Murcie weight balance?  By the way, the data I find shows the Gallardo also balanced at 42/58.

-J

The Murcielago is substantially more balanced in the corners, the 4 wheel drive works wonders. Night and day from the DIablo. Just take a look at the Nurburgring lap times of a GT DIablo, and the best from the Murcielago. Over 20 seconds difference. Over 15 seconds difference with the Gallardo.

Anyways, welcome to the board, i just think you could of used alittle more tact in your attack on the Gallardo. It would be like me just meeting you, and telling you that when I was getting my Sv, i considered an SE. After looking at the SE, and deciding that the wheels looked hideous, the brakes sucked, it didnt have the variable valve timing motor, the carbon interior work left alot to be desired, the engine decklid looked like ass, the lack of windows disgusted me and that i generally decided that the SE is the most Kit car like Diablo made, i decided it sucked.

You are part of the Lamborghini family, ever car has a place, you will like some more than others. I would personally never drive an Espada, but it is Lambo so i respect its place amongst its owners who love them. After all these are not POS Ferrari's.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadowman,

I would like their to be a new Lambo in my future...we'll see what tomorrow brings (Murcie SV?).

-J

I too would like their to be a new Lambo in your future..... It just killed me reading all the bantering back and both over issues that seemed to make no sense....... Lamborghini......Ferrari..... Audi..... Porsche...and the list goes on "ALL" source out for a multitude of products and services and yet when combined the package is presented as theirs. The Murc ...the Gallardo..... and whatever else Lamborghini decides to market will be their vision of the package and not reflective of where they went for the pieces......

Good luck with you decission...

Take care

Shadowman

Or a 288 GTO for that matter.

Damn it. I was just catchin up on this thread, thinkin I wld respond with the 288 GTO. And you beat me to it. LOL

Back end of a 288 is alot more exposed then the G.

JTSE, have you seen a Gallardo in Black at night, with its xenons on? OMG that car is pure sex. There is a Black one in my area, that i see driving around all day. Thats what makes the G-Car great. You cant drive a 360 daily you would be at the service bay so quickly. While the Gallardo can be daily driven. Ive seen this guy 4-5 times over the past couple of weeks. :supz: If i see him ill ask if hes a member, and if not ill tell him to join up. :mrgreen:

BTW thats the best picture of the Gallardo SE I've seen. The vibrant colours on that picture are making me re-think about the SE. Is it representative of what it really looked like?

@jtse30:

If I remember correctly, Lamborghini asked Audi themselves if they could use their 4.2 V8 in a "baby-lambo". One thing lead to another and Audi bought Lambo instead. If this is correct, then it was Lambos idea to put a German engine in one of their cars.

BTW, if you have such a big problem with new Lambos being “Audi’s”, would you call the Diablo a Chrysler? After all they had a major saying in the design of it…

I just took delivery on my G a week ago. I never even thought about the doors when I decided to buy it.If my G is not REALLY a Lambo,then I guess I will just have to live with that.The car delivers everything I had hoped it would.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monaco BodyGuards

I think what John is trying to say is Lamborghini has lost some of its character. The germans have taken over and in a way it is a different company with a different mind set.

My family recently called Ingrid. Ingrid was at Lamborghini since DAY ONE. Anyone who has been to Lamborghini in the 1970s 1980s and 1990s would know her. She was head secretary and so much more than that. She was as important as Valentino, Claudio and other figures at Lamborghini that gave the place its character. She left recently because "the germans have landed."

Even though the factory might not be the same and Lamborghini might have lost some character I have to say i could never drive an exotic other than a lambo.

I recently drove a Gallardo with a Tubi Tube Euro Exhuast and WOW lol Its an amazing car.

Now a Murcie roadster...thats the next car we might be adding to the fleet.

Hey AllOutExotics,

Yep, that's my car, yes, the only other yellow SE30 left the country quite a while back.  And, as far as I know, mine is the only USA-based car to have power windows (there are quite a few internationally).

No interest in selling, should that change I will keep you in mind.  How long have you been searching for the car?  When I purchased her she was languishing at a BMW dealer in Houston (who happened to have some highline cars).

Ciao!

-J

John, we have a interesting collection of Lambos and we were always looking for the PERFECT diablo. We originally planned on buying the Black Black SE from Carl at Motorcars when it had 800 miles in 1998 or 1999.

In our mind to make it the perfect Diablo we would have to have functional windows.

We already have all black cars so buying the black car was essential, upon viewing the car we realized how much "carbon texture" you could see in the black paint. It was pretty bad. Passed up on it. Still kicking ourself.

We heard about your car, in yellow, with funcitional windows : )

Went on to buying a roadster than 6.0, than VT, The SE is still our favorite!

Wow, lots of replies to do here.

First, here's my summary:

I think the Gallardo, on its own merits, is a great car, no doubt a German engineered product that I have a hard time labelling as a Lamborghini, perhaps in spirit but not in production (car was completely engineered by Audi in Germany with major components being completely manfucturered in Audi's existing facilities with only final assembly performed in Sant'####). Because of the heavy cross-breeding, that is, loads of German influence, I now find myself saying "what about something else" because this fine car is not a Lambo in the traditional sense and that's what bugs me most.

On to the replies:

Allan - On the Murcie, didn't realize the Murcie whooped ass so much over the Diablo GT, that's impressive. On the Ferrari's, I never paid attention to them, yikes, not a style to emulate for me.

Allan - Thanks for the welcome, and, I apologize for my bluntness on my initial Gallardo comments, I think I had some frustrations there that were not well sorted out before I "spoke", I certainly have no quarrel with any one on this board, just Audi's.

DancingBenzos - I have seen a black/black Gallardo at night, but, only from behind the wheel, I can certainly picture it as you say and that is very cool...a word on Black for me is this, I previously owned a Black VT ('94) and found that the Black paint hid so much of the outrageous body that it really made the car practically invisible...to wit: whenever I took the Yellow SE out everyone saw me even those 5 miles behind me in traffic, whenever I took the Black VT out nobody saw me, for me, Black hides the beautiful bodywork too much but it is a very impressive sight.

5to1 - The colors in that picture are a little saturated, the yellow certainly stands out but I would not say anymore than any other yellow Gallardo, well, other than the wheels being "smokecoat grey", that certainly helps accentuate the car's appearance - the interior though does stand out, I like it a lot.

Placid - On the Lambo factory asking Audi for a motor for the baby Lambo, I do not recall that, certainly it is possible, I wonder how that would have turned out. Doesn't the Spyker use an Audi V8? And a long time ago Koenigsegg tried and failed to get Audi to supply them with a motor.

AllOutExotics - No doubt the Germans have landed, some time ago of course. It's always curious to see a German out there representing Lamborghini, to that end the Germans (at Audi) have been putting more "Italian" types in "public facing" positions, or at least Germans that don't look so German and speak fluent Italian such as Manfred Fitzgerald -- so Audi is trying to manage that part of public relations.

Additionally, Check Motor Cars Intl, they currently list a low mile Red SE30, you might want to grab that. Check with Cosimo @ the factory, he can do the door mods for full power windows -- what happens is they take the doors off and ship them to the factory for modification -- the mod includes totally gutting the door since there is no "window track" or motor or even room for it, what you get is a Diablo SV door panel (one that's not so heavy on the leather like the VT/Roadster door panels).

Thanks everyone for the active chat! And thank you Allan for having this board.

-John

Placid - On the Lambo factory asking Audi for a motor for the baby Lambo, I do not recall that, certainly it is possible, I wonder how that would have turned out.  Doesn't the Spyker use an Audi V8?  And a long time ago Koenigsegg tried and failed to get Audi to supply them with a motor.
You do a good job replying :mrgreen:

As for the story with Audi, based on the history on www.lambocars.com, this happened:

Towards the end of 1997 Di Capua started negotiations with Audi AG for the use of their 4.2-Litre V-8 engine together with the Audi A8 Quattro four-wheel drive to be used in the new 'Baby Lambo' since developing an all-new V-10 engine seemed impossible at the time.

Suddenly in 1998 Ferdinand Pi루, top level manager at Audi AG, offered to buy Automobili Lamborghini SpA, Di Capua managed to convince the Indonesian owner to agree and on June 12, 1998 a 'letter of intent' was drawn up stressing both partners to close this deal as soon as possible.

:)

Hello Placid,

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know about that, interesting news. I wonder what the actual "car" would have been, that is, the "Cala" design or something else, perhaps Lambo was going to do a front engine car (like the Espada)...any ideas on what the baby lambo was to be at that time?

Thanks,

-J

Hello Placid,

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know about that, interesting news.  I wonder what the actual "car" would have been, that is, the "Cala" design or something else, perhaps Lambo was going to do a front engine car (like the Espada)...any ideas on what the baby lambo was to be at that time?

Thanks,

-J

I'm guessing the Cala/Stella or the Jalpa successor by SZ Design (which was to be front engined). But the Cala already had an engine :-k Anyone knows which engine this was? I know it was a 3.9L 400BHP V10, but not who made it.

Placid -

Regarding the motor, this link

http://www.lambocars.com/archive/others/p140.htm

states that Lambo's own engineers created it and that is a totally different engine than what was eventually used in the Gallardo.

I think it is reasonable to conclude that it was a Jalpa V8 box was cast a bit larger and bored out with two more cylinders. The Jalpa engine specs are pretty close to what ended up in the Cala except for the 2 additional cylinders and 4valves per cylinder. Even max engine revs are about the same:

Jalpa Engine Specs:

http://www.lambocars.com/archive/jalpa/jal...lpas.htm#engine

Cala Engine Specs:

http://www.lambocars.com/archive/others/cala.htm

And for grins, the Gallardo specs:

http://www.lambocars.com/gal/galls.htm#engine

-J

We already have all black cars so buying the black car was essential, upon viewing the car we realized how much "carbon texture" you could see in the black paint. It was pretty bad.

I have this issue right now with my black 6.0, in the yacht business we call it "post cure", all the carbon panels on my car are showing carbon print through. The hotter the day it is, the worse it is.

jtse30 -

for a thread that started out by some guy trying to say that vertical door movement is what defines a Lamborghini, you have taken this discussion and ran with it. It would seem that you are one of them types that likes to hear themselves talk. In all your ranting, I don't believe that you've made a single valid point, the fact that the engine from the G-car shared parts/design with Audi cars. Big deal, at the G-car price point, what people are getting is the Lambo name, a smoking fast car, with amazing engine, amazing handling, Rock Star looks, arguably the first true daily driver from Lamborghini, lower operating cost....am I missing anything? My point is that G-car owners know up front that they are giving up some hand crafted elements, exclusively designed one off parts Etc. In order to deliver this, Audi (or VW (The "Parent Parent")) has been given the task of getting this done any means necessary. For you to point out these painfully obvious things, and say that even though you are impressed with them mechanically, (except for the gear box location) that you don't consider it a true Lamborghini, who cares what you think. Just keep it to yourself and enjoy your awesome Diablo, and even if the G-car's not for you, just know that it is single handedly keeping the brand we love alive, and taking it to new heights. If the groth of Lamborghini, and the direction it's heading is not to your standards, by all means switch brands, as everyone knows, there are quite a few small companies that still make a few cars a year.

Earlier you say that Porsche didn't cave in to economic pressure, and is being true to it's origins. Well, then why do you think they decided to make the Boxer and the Cayenne? Obviously had to diversify to stay alive, the CGT wouldn't keep them in business.

Just my 2cents, I guess I like to hear myself talk too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Earlier you say that Porsche didn't cave in to economic pressure, and is being true to it's origins. Well, then why do you think they decided to make the Boxer and the Cayenne?

I don't like to hear myself talk, but didn't I say this? :lol:

BTW strawtint, nice avatar, any chance of seeing a larger version?

It seems the topic was lead to another area by jtse30..

All Gallardo owners seems to be happy with their cars, so it should be reliable, the build quality is good and the engine meets all expectations..

What matters to me is the design of the car, I personally think Gallardo design is awesome.

The doors, I think they gave a right decision about the doors. They planned to make a entry level car which can be driven daily, the scissor doors a bit too much for this car unless you are not into mods.. It seems that, it also satisfies the Murci and Diablo owners, making their cars different and special as they want..

I think Gallardo would sell more if it was sold also in Audi dealers but I have doubts about the Audi customer care and service, I don't think they would satisfy Gallardo owners...

-J

The Murcielago is substantially more balanced in the corners, the 4 wheel drive works wonders. Night and day from the DIablo. Just take a look at the Nurburgring lap times of a GT DIablo, and the best from the Murcielago. Over 20 seconds difference. Over 15 seconds difference with the Gallardo.

Anyways, welcome to the board, i just think you could of used alittle more tact in your attack on the Gallardo. It would be like me just meeting you, and telling you that when I was getting my Sv, i considered an SE. After looking at the SE, and deciding that the wheels looked hideous, the brakes sucked, it didnt have the variable valve timing motor, the carbon interior work left alot to be desired, the engine decklid looked like ass, the lack of windows disgusted me and that i generally decided that the SE is the most Kit car like Diablo made, i decided it sucked.

As for comparing lap times of the Murcielago vs. Diablo, it's quite impressive the strides the Murcie has made. But in all honesty, this is what is supposed to happen. Comparing cars strictly on lap times is not what it's all about, otherwise modified Vettes and 911s would be the most prudent track solution. And for that matter, I don't think the big V12 lambo is the quintessential track car....Gallardo, 360 CS, F40 are more up the track alley.

The character of the Diablo GT looks far more violent than the Murcielago, and driving wise it probably is as well.

As for the attack of the SE30, here's what I think. It does have a subpar interior compared to the SV and newer. What's wrong with the engine lid? It is Miura style (but I know a VT owner who dislikes it too, so again this is subjective). I like the way the rims look....yet, I've heard some opposite viewpoints. Styling wise, this is a love it or hate it Diablo......IMHO, the SE30 (esp. Jota) is the most striking Diablo ever made, even more than the GT (because it's more flowing, as opposed to being a racier SV). Still love the GT and GTR of course.

Brakes wise, I think all pre-SV Diablos sucked. But can't this be replaced?? So enough on defending the SE....here are it's strengths:

1) Weight - I believe this is the lightest Diablo made. Enough said.

2) Motor - Very powerful, and the Jota upgrade is a screamer. If the quotes are true, this was more powerful than a GT, which had a bigger engine.

I've heard negative things about it's overall driveability. Not the best all around motor, but if it provides the advertised power, it's still a winner.

3) Unassisted steering on the euro versions - Ralph, and I feel very strongly on this issue. I wouldn't go out on a limb and say that the SE has better steering feel than an SV or GT, but there's a good chance it does. After all, there are Countach purists on this board who equate Diablo driving feel as soft.

The Diablo GT looks like the perfect Diablo driving wise, as it was the last one developed, but they just couldn't shake the PS. Ferrari couldn't either on the Enzo and Challenge Stradale. I guess that era is over. :(

So, IMHO, a european SE30 with Jota upgrades, and suspension/brake components from a GT would be the perfect Diablo, at least on paper.

Kitcar-likeness is irrelevant, because the SE30 is no worse than earlier Diablos or Countachs. In fact, the F40 aura of the interior has some appeal actually...down to the windows as well.

And for all the supposed F40 diehards on this board, most prefer cars that have the comfort, luxury, and all aroundness of a 575! :axe: :axe: :finga: :P

And to get back to the Gallardo, I must say, after really disliking it/writing it off originally, seeing a few in person, in the wild is all it took for me to really LIKE the way they look. The wild is important....the auto shows don't quite do it for me. The two Gallardos at Grand Central right now don't have the stunning presence as the two Gallardos I've seen on the street.

The Gallardo is not a Lambo at all, it's a low-quality Audi ... (more ranting) ...It's not even close to being a Lambo, not even close, just has the badge on it.  Might as well have a VW badge on it... (and more ranting)

-J

jtse, the Gallardo is a great car. The Diablo is a great car. The Murcie I didn't like the look of at first but it grew on me and now I love it as much as the rest of them (maybe more). It is a great car as well.

And you.. we'll you're an asshole.

Hate to break it to you, the Gallardo is a Lambo as much as the Diablo is. That's why the logo is present on both cars. The Gallardo has a much nicer interior than the Diablo. The Diablo has a much tougher look and sound than the Gallardo. Each has its strengths and weakneses but both are Lambos through and through.

It sounds like you are griping about the Gallardo because it is so different from your SE. The Gallardo is designed to be a comfortable ride. Do you have air conditioning? I know the SE came with a red button that activated a fire extinquisher in the care if it got too hot :-) How about power steering?

The SE is a great car but comfort is definitely not its strong point. That was a design decision. There are pluses and minuses in all the Lambos but none of them deserve to be crapped on just because you don't own that particular model.

Audi did a great job with the Lambo combining German and Italian engineering. No merger works out perfectly, I've been through a number of them myself, but so far, this one has worked out to create a car that brings in the best of both companies to create a superior product.

The new Lambos look great, have great performance and there is an emphasis on driver comfort. Couldn't ask for more at this point. I'm glad Audi jumped in when they did, otherwise, Lamborghini may have gone the way of the million other supercar companies that have come and gone.

I bet the guys on the line busting their asses to assemble Gallardos each day, all of them Italian, would love to have a nice chat with JT about how the car's build quality is so poor, and how the product of their efforts shouldn't even have the Lambo badge on it.

You love art for how the image on the canvas makes you FEEL, not for the signature in the lower right corner of the painting. Doesn't matter if it's Picasso or your kid's finger painting, it's how it makes you feel that matters.

I can't put it any more succinctly than that.

Mako

Check out this story:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/...rticleId=105556

Makes you wonder if the same thing will happen with the Gallardo once the Lemans begins production, heck, the Gallaro is mostly created outside of Italy already. If it does, that is, the Gallardo final production is moved outside of Italy (at least some of it), will that be a Lambo then?

And I think there continues to be a misunderstanding of my comments, the Gallardo is a fine German car, I have no issue with that.

-J