3000lbs 6.0: possible?!

TeflonTron

A buddy of mine made a comment that he thought that it'd be possible to get a Diablo 6.0 down to 3000lbs or less without turning it into a stripped-out racecar or removing the AWD system. I'm not sure, but as it's a friendly bet I thought that you lot could help me on this little intellectual exercise. Ready? Here are my initial thoughts (weight savings in brackets)

Starting weight: 3582lbs

MS Racing/Kreissieg Exhaust (80lbs)

Rear bumper delete (70lbs)

Carbon brakes (30lbs?)

Carbonfibre doors (40lbs?)

Carbonfibre driveshaft (30lbs?)

Lightweight flywheel (10lbs?)

Lightweight clutch (10lbs?)

Magnesium engine parts like GT (10lbs?)

That's a saving of 280lbs, which is a lot, but it's still only halfway to the 582lbs required. The only other thing that I can think of, off the top of my head, is to strip out the actual chassis (made from heavy steel tubes) and have it remade in Magnessium, as Coatl did in their version of the Diablo. That seems a little extreme though, although I'd guess it'd save 100lbs or so.

For comparisson, a GT weighs in at 3218lbs, but still has a semi rear bumper, aluminium doors, standard exhaust etc, but isn't weighed down with the AWD system.

Help me win the bet, or I'll never hear the end of it!!!

Please let your buddy know when he takes the stock doors, bumpers, misc engine parts off of his car, I will be happy to take them from him. :mrgreen:

Tell you buddy, i wish him luck.

The body panels on a 6.0 weigh almost nothing, the doors are a little heavy but not much. I would have to say the majority of the weight on any diablo is the frame, its HEAVY!

Tell you buddy, i wish him luck.

That's my thoughts: that it can't be done. However, he says that he can and, tbh, he's not one to yank my chain. Neither he or I have a Diablo 6.0, so it's all for fun! I just hate losing a bet, even when it's just a friendly thing.

Abolfaz: I agree on the frame part. A Diablo is a relatively small car, as you know, so its weight must be "under the skin". In the back of my mind I'm sure that I read somewhere that a Diablo's steel frame is like 300kgs.

Neither he or I have a Diablo 6.0,

WTF?

LMAO!! I suddenly feel unclean after that comment! No, it is but an intellectual exercise to while away a slow Saturday whilst I wait for all of my stuff to be shipped from England.

Sorry to disappoint ya ;)

interior leather body panels. replace with carbon fiber dash, doors, no leather. take out ac... radio .. amps, speakers... lighter wheels. composite axles. carbon intake box, remove air bags. remove leather compartments on the rear. replace with lighter weight carpet or delete carpet. titanium headers, use titanium exhaust. titanium suspension springs. forged aluminum suspension arms. titanium shock bodies. delete all sound insulation. carbon sheet replacing steel sheets on the chassis... titanium roll bars...

interior leather body panels.  replace with carbon fiber dash, doors, no leather. take out ac... radio .. amps,  speakers... lighter wheels.  composite axles.  carbon intake box, remove air bags.  remove leather compartments on the rear.  replace with lighter weight carpet or delete carpet.  titanium headers,  use titanium exhaust.  titanium suspension springs.  forged aluminum suspension arms.  titanium shock bodies. delete all sound insulation.  carbon sheet replacing steel sheets on the chassis...  titanium roll bars...

<-stupid

Lighter seats, smaller battery

Dont forget:

down to 3000lbs or less without turning it into a stripped-out racecar

Whats the point any way?

Dont forget:

down to 3000lbs or less without turning it into a stripped-out racecar

Whats the point any way?

The point? In terms of an actual Diablo being stripped to that weight, or the point in the thread? Well, if you had money to burn or were eccentric then a 3000lbs (or stripping out any exotic car) would be an interesting project and something that would interest me no end (I'm eccentric in that way). As for the thread, I just think that it's an interesting way to "think" about the car, and the design problems that Lamborghini and other car companies face.

QVPower: Many thanks. Some would go againt the "race car" part, but other than that they are excellent suggestions.

Ive got an idea... fill the tires with helium....

It aint gonna happen... 500 pounds is a lot of weight for any car to lose...

There is an entire cottage industry supplying weight reduction for the E30 M3... It weighs in at about 2700 pounds stock... You can rip everything out of it, CF the intake manifold, replace EVERY body panel with fiberglass or CF and still they come in at about 24-2500... And thats a MUCH smaller car, specifically designed as a racer...

There is an entire cottage industry supplying weight reduction for the E30 M3... It weighs in at about 2700 pounds stock... You can rip everything out of it, CF the intake manifold, replace EVERY body panel with fiberglass or CF and still they come in at about 24-2500... And thats a MUCH smaller car, specifically designed as a racer...

Correct.

Plus, the 6.0 weighs far more than "3,582lbs". Put a real one on an actual four corner scale and you'll find it's closer to the 3,750lb. range...at least.

Hmm. Well, the XJ220 lost about 500lbs iirc, when they made the limited XJ220S.

I disagree over whether 3000lbs is possible for a 6.0, but I do agree that the hassle, and cost, would be huge. However, that was the point of the thread: to bounce various ideas etc around.

OK Tron, so is it possible?

Quiet smuggle smuggle smuggle. :lol:

Ok... Thats the second time Ive read this tonight... WTF???

Just some crackpot troll pissing off Mike today by calling him that, lol.

Just some crackpot troll pissing off Mike today by calling him that, lol.

I still don't get that, the guy saying that is the one convicted of smuggling or illeagally importing cars into the US and he's making fun of me?